Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best City?
Philadelphia 102 46.58%
Boston 117 53.42%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:24 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Gimme a break! New York has far more racial incidents marring it's history than Boston could ever possibly approach. That's all you have been hearing about for the last forty years. Murders and assaults based on race. Yet New York is somehow able to brush off the moniker of a city with a racial undertone.
The reason is that Boston is not supposed to have racial strife. It is where the abolition movement began and it is the birthplace of modern liberalism.

BTW the article states that "with a 50% population of people of color, they have never elected a black mayor". Boston has never had a black population over 25%. I wonder what other lies are in the article.

And before you post inflammatory photos you really should do your homework on the photo you post. The person with the flag (Joe Rakes) was seventeen at the time and he was swinging the flag pole around, he wasn't attempting to spear the black man. The black man is Ted Landsmark, who still lives in the racial hellhole that is Boston.
It's not just about racial incidents and racial undertones. Boston has an entire culture that makes many minorities feel unwelcome. That's why so many accounting, investment, and law firms there have a hard time attracting/retaining minorities. Given the first opportunity, they run to cities like New York, DC, Chicago, and even Philadelphia.

"People of color" includes more than just black people. NYC is also only 25% black, but yet the city has had a black mayor. Baltimore is 65% black and that city has had a white mayor in recent years. The true strength of a democracy is how well minority rights are protected/represented, and in Boston, minority representation in government and the public sector is abysmal.

http://civilrightsproject.ucla.edu/research/metro-and-regional-inequalities/metro-boston-equity-initiative-1/we-don2019t-feel-welcome-here-african-americans-and-hispanics-in-metro-boston

http://www.boston.com/jobs/news/articles/2010/12/05/shedding_bostons_image_as_an_unwelcoming_place/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 10:31 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
She was being sexist for voting her because she was a woman.
Well that's another debate altogether.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:00 AM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's not just about racial incidents and racial undertones. Boston has an entire culture that makes many minorities feel unwelcome.
And the Irish who came to Boston felt the same way. In fact it was probably a lot worse for Irish in 19th century Boston than it has ever been for blacks in this city.

Quote:
That's why so many accounting, investment, and law firms there have a hard time attracting/retaining minorities. Given the first opportunity, they run to cities like New York, DC, Chicago, and even Philadelphia.
Cite reference please.

Quote:
"People of color" includes more than just black people. NYC is also only 25% black, but yet the city has had a black mayor.
Wow one single one term black mayor, that's very impressive! Has New York State ever had a black governor? A re-elected black governor to boot!!! Massachusetts does.
BTW New York has a Hispanic population of >25% along with its >25% population of blacks. So, even with it's "minority" population dwarfing that of it's white population, NYC has still only has had one single one-term minority mayor. Now that's abyssmal!!!

Quote:
Baltimore is 65% black and that city has had a white mayor in recent years. The true strength of a democracy is how well minority rights are protected/represented, and in Boston, minority representation in government and the public sector is abysmal.
I worked in the City of Boston Public Works Dept and I assure you minorities are absolutely well represented in the public sector of this city.

Boston is 25% black but the state itself is about 7% black. That means on any given day the vast majority of people you see are not going to be black. This is unusual for a city in modern America therefore the assumption is that Boston is unwelcoming to blacks. And if I were to go to a city that was 85% black I might feel the same. The difference being that I would know that it wasn't true.
I also wouldn't blame racism for my failures.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:50 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
[quote=Mr. Joshua;17618909]
Quote:
And the Irish who came to Boston felt the same way. In fact it was probably a lot worse for Irish in 19th century Boston than it has ever been for blacks in this city.
Anyway...

Quote:
Cite reference please.
Aside from my own personal observations as a student in Boston, and those of my classmates, here are a couple. I don't think one black student stayed in Boston after graduation. For the most part, DC was the top destination, followed by NYC.

Not a destination point | Boston Business Journal

A step back for diversity - The Boston Globe

Quote:
Wow one single one term black mayor, that's very impressive! Has New York State ever had a black governor? A re-elected black governor to boot!!! Massachusetts does.
BTW New York has a Hispanic population of >25% along with its >25% population of blacks. So, even with it's "minority" population dwarfing that of it's white population, NYC has still only has had one single one-term minority mayor. Now that's abyssmal!!!
The fact that New York City has had a black mayor is impressive considering that only a quarter of the population is black. Both New York and Philadelphia have had a Jewish, Italian, and Black mayor in the last twenty years. Too bad the same is not true of Boston. Thomas Menino is the only non-Irish mayor Boston has had since 1930!

Quote:
I worked in the City of Boston Public Works Dept and I assure you minorities are absolutely well represented in the public sector of this city.
Somebody has to clean the urinals.

Quote:
Boston is 25% black but the state itself is about 7% black. That means on any given day the vast majority of people you see are not going to be black. This is unusual for a city in modern America therefore the assumption is that Boston is unwelcoming to blacks. And if I were to go to a city that was 85% black I might feel the same. The difference being that I would know that it wasn't true. I also wouldn't blame racism for my failures.
One-quarter? You think that's unusual? Anyways, the difference between you living in Washington, DC and a black person living in Boston is that you always have the lily white suburbs of DC at your disposal. DC may be majority black, but the metro area is far from it. Boston has only a few pockets (Roxbury, JP, Dorchester, Mattapan) where blacks feel comfortable. Outside of these few areas, Boston feels very hostile and unwelcoming to many minorities.

And who's blaming racism? Or who's even claiming failure? Boston's simply a place that's not receptive to blacks, and therefore, we avoid it or leave. When you're not appreciated somewhere, there's no point in staying. Why would I, or anyone else, commit career suicide by going to Boston when there is a network of minority professionals in cities like DC, NYC, and Chicago that can help me succeed?

Old 01-28-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

One-quarter? You think that's unusual? Anyways, the difference between you living in Washington, DC and a black person living in Boston is that you always have the lily white suburbs of DC at your disposal. DC may be majority black, but the metro area is far from it. Boston has only a few pockets (Roxbury, JP, Dorchester, Mattapan) where blacks feel comfortable. Outside of these few areas, Boston feels very hostile and unwelcoming to many minorities.
Ahh I see where you are coming from now. No one uses the term "lily white" who doesn't have some sort of racial axe to grind.

Thanks for slipping up and showing me the glasses you look through to see the world.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:19 PM

423 posts, read 645,928 times
Boston is racist, why are there even black people up there?

Old 01-28-2011, 11:43 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
A bit tangential to what's been going on, but I'll say that Philadelphia is fairly rapidly getting a big increase in foreign-born populations. It's likely Philly is in for some pretty awesome food.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:51 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
I voted for Boston a while back, but after a couple visits to Philly since then- I prefer Philly.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:08 AM

36 posts, read 46,208 times
Philly.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:16 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimetoMoveOutWest View Post
Philly.
You'd think you would have more to say considering you bumped a 4 year old thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City