Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best City?
Philadelphia 102 46.58%
Boston 117 53.42%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 04:18 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't think I'd care if they were mostly Irish-Catholics (especially given how large the population of Irish-Catholics has historically been, so the probability even at random would make that likely)--I just want them to be good at what they do. Corruption is corruption, and that is balls.
Boston has some serious racial problems, man. Minorities have been locked out of the city council for years and locked out of the fire department, police force, and several other municipal jobs. The size of the white population doesn't matter; Boston was a majority-minority city while I was living there. And even Baltimore, a city that's 64% Black, elected a white man to office. What is it about Boston where racial minorities can't even get on the city council until the late 20th/early 21st century? Boston is not the tolerant place that people profess it to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 04:21 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This is why I don't particularly care for Boston. As the lady in the second article says, "No matter how bad things get for Blacks down South, at least we don't live in Boston."

Resources: Database: "Divided We Stand. Is Boston Racist?" Boston Magazine (November 2002)

At 100, Boston NAACP Confronts City’s Mixed Past | WBUR
Context is everything. The busing controversy was in many ways quite different from earlier racial struggles.

The working class in Boston has been territorial because they were there first. Not the greatest attitude, but you can see where it came from.

The "first" issue doesn't really apply down south, because, well, slavery and all. Southern whites would rather not even talk about who was first, because that implicates them in guilt. Northern immigrants haven't had the same guilt because they weren't involved in all that. It's just a different context.

Last edited by j_cat; 01-27-2011 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-27-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Boston has some serious racial problems, man. Minorities have been locked out of the city council for years and locked out of the fire department, police force, and several other municipal jobs. The size of the white population doesn't matter; Boston was a majority-minority city while I was living there. And even Baltimore, a city that's 64% Black, elected a white man to office. What is it about Boston where racial minorities can't even get on the city council until the late 20th/early 21st century? Boston is not the tolerant place that people profess it to be.
So how did Mass. elect a black governor (not exactly a common occurrence in America)? Was it all the rural folks who voted him in? I find that hard to believe.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:29 PM

Boston: ocean, snow, better summers, cool accents/culture/history, cleaner and more beautiful, obviously much safer, and people leave you alone. If only it were as cheap as Philly.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Context is everything. The busing controversy was in many ways quite different from earlier racial struggles.

The working class in Boston has been territorial because they were there first. Not the greatest attitude, but you can see where it came from.

The "first" issue doesn't really apply down south, because, well, slavery and all. Southern whites would rather not even talk about who was first, because that implicates them in guilt. Northern immigrants haven't have the same guilt because they weren't involved in all that. It's just a different context.
Philly also has a lot of working-class whites, some of whom may be racist, but the city does not have an air of racism. When my mother visited me for the first time in Boston, she said "...at least in Philadelphia, when someone doesn't speak to you, you know it's because they're angry, not because they're racist. Up here, people really won't talk to you because you're a certain race." That's something I definitely observed in my years there. I've been all over the Deep South, and encountered some of the nicest people I've ever met. It wasn't until I moved to Boston that I really felt subjected to overt, hostile racism.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
So how did Mass. elect a black governor (not exactly a common occurrence in America)? Was it all the rural folks who voted him in? I find that hard to believe.
That is the billion dollar question that me and my friends have never figured out. In 2008, Obama barely edged out Clinton in Boston proper and actually LOST Middlesex County (Cambridge), where his alma mater, Harvard University, is located.

Election Center 2008: Primary Results - Elections & Politics news from CNN.com

Old 01-27-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Philly also has a lot of working-class whites, some of whom may be racist, but the city does not have an air of racism. When my mother visited me for the first time in Boston, she said "...at least in Philadelphia, when someone doesn't speak to you, you know it's because they're angry, not because they're racist. Up here, people really won't talk to you because you're a certain race." That's something I definitely observed in my years there. I've been all over the Deep South, and encountered some of the nicest people I've ever met. It wasn't until I moved to Boston that I really felt subjected to overt, hostile racism.
I can't help but wonder if she factored in that New England is not big on stranger-talking in general? It's human nature to jump to conclusions and I feel like that is sometimes behind perceptions of racism.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I can't help but wonder if she factored in that New England is not big on stranger-talking in general? It's human nature to jump to conclusions and I feel like that is sometimes behind perceptions of racism.
And you think Philadelphia IS big on "stranger-talking?" The difference in Boston is that a white person will blatantly snub a black person and then speak to a white person. In Philadelphia, a white person gives you a "f*ck you," and then turns around and gives his mother a "f*ck you." So there's no discrimination lol.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
That is the billion dollar question that me and my friends have never figured out. In 2008, Obama barely edged out Clinton in Boston proper and actually LOST Middlesex County (Cambridge), where his alma mater, Harvard University, is located.

Election Center 2008: Primary Results - Elections & Politics news from CNN.com
I noticed that Clinton was perceived as THE top candidate for gay issues and abortion issues and all the social liberal stuff. Even though Obama was and is probably exactly the same. A lot of college crowds initially favored her.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
And you think Philadelphia IS big on "stranger-talking?" The difference in Boston is that a white person will blatantly snub a black person and then speak to a white person. In Philadelphia, a white person gives you a "f*ck you," and then turns around and gives his mother a "f*ck you." So there's no discrimination lol.
Ah but there you have it. Philly says f*ck you, whereas Boston cannot be bothered to open its mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City