Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 12:25 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times

Advertisements

I believe there's quite a difference between large cities in California & large cities elsewhere in America. When someone from Los Angeles or San Francisco go abroad & are asked where they are from they say the city & everyone thinks California. That is not true with NYC or Chicago or any Texas city. The state of Texas is probably better known than New York state or Illinois but most people don't know Dallas or Houston aside from tv shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 12:27 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I believe there's quite a difference between large cities in California & large cities elsewhere in America. When someone from Los Angeles or San Francisco go abroad & are asked where they are from they say the city & everyone thinks California. That is not true with NYC or Chicago or any Texas city. The state of Texas is probably better known than New York state or Illinois but most people don't know Dallas or Houston aside from tv shows.
I don't know. Dallas and Houston are not as known as SF or LA; however, I think Dallas might be more known that what it is given credit for. I believe lots of foreigners will associate Dallas with Texas.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:34 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I don't know. Dallas and Houston are not as known as SF or LA; however, I think Dallas might be more known that what it is given credit for. I believe lots of foreigners will associate Dallas with Texas.
You are probably right but only because of television.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:47 PM

305 posts, read 771,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Exactly! And there's a lot more that can be added to that list for many different types of people, like the Missions and the Gold Rush history, Yosemite, the Mavericks surfing competition that has a worldwide draw, the oldest Chinatown in North America, the Golden Gate Bridge, the birthplace of mountain biking, the birthplace of biotechnology, etc., etc......there's A LOT that CA is famous for, and it goes way beyond just Hollywood!
Let me also add a few things to that, good sir.

- The L.A. Riots
- The Death of Michael Jackson
- The '32 and '84 Summer Olympics and the '60 Winter Olympics (California is also the only U.S. state to hold both the summer and winter olympics, to date)
- '94 World Cup Finals
- Comic Con San Diego
- E3
- Coachella Festival

All of these things happen(ed) here and are/were all internationally recognized, for better or worse.

And even right now, the fight for gay marriage rights in CA is not just nationally known, this is actually being viewed worldwide. Not to mention that when California legalizes casual cannabis use, that's going to be big. Either way both events are going to go down in history and CA is the center stage.

You can even add videogames to the mix if you wanted to:

http://www.myps3.com.au/img/game/Midnight-Club-Los-Angeles-23.jpg (broken link)

The international recognition that California and it's cities has is simply undeniable.

Last edited by A.J._in_L.A.; 03-13-2010 at 01:26 PM..

Old 03-13-2010, 12:50 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
You are probably right but only because of television.
Cowboys have international popularity as well.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:54 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Cowboys have international popularity as well.
American football isn't all that popular outside of the US and Canada though, so the cowboy's fame doesn't really go that far.

I think Texas is one of the most recognized states abroad, but its cities have a more modest degree of popularity.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:57 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
i don't get this post

there are A LOT of california transplants in texas, but i can't remember anybody saying what city they're from. they always just say "i'm from california"

and to be honest, i didn't even know what state san francisco was in until like middle school

Old 03-13-2010, 02:01 PM

672 posts, read 1,789,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J._in_L.A. View Post
Let me also add a few things to that, good sir.

- The L.A. Riots
- The Death of Michael Jackson
- The '32 and '84 Summer Olympics and the '60 Winter Olympics (California is also the only U.S. state to hold both the summer and winter olympics, to date)
- '94 World Cup Finals
- Comic Con San Diego
- E3
- Coachella Festival

All of these things happen(ed) here and are/were all internationally recognized, for better or worse.

And even right now, the fight for gay marriage rights in CA is not just nationally known, this is actually being viewed worldwide. Not to mention that when California legalizes casual cannabis use, that's going to be big. Either way both events are going to go down in history and CA is the center stage.

You can even add videogames to the mix if you wanted to:

The international recognition that California and it's cities has is simply undeniable.
Most of the software/game companies are based out of CA.

Anytime someone turns on a computer, surfs the web, or uses any type of new media, they get reminded of CA. (ie. intel, apple, google, twitter, facebook)

It's insane the amount of creativity coming out of here right about now, CA companies have changed the way we communicate, and even created new words in the english dictionary (tweeting, apps, google it, etc.) And all this is just the tip of the iceberg. There's way more to come.

CA is a monster, especially for generations X, Y, and Z and beyond, ie. the generations that comprise of the present and future.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:18 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post

Anytime someone turns on a computer, surfs the web, or uses any type of new media, they get reminded of CA. (ie. intel, apple, google, twitter, facebook)

It's insane the amount of creativity coming out of here right about now, CA companies have changed the way we communicate, and even created new words in the english dictionary (tweeting, apps, google it, etc.) And all this is just the tip of the iceberg. There's way more to come.

CA is a monster, especially for generations X, Y, and Z and beyond, ie. the generations that comprise of the present and future.
"Most" is stretching it, but yea, a lot. And it's not just what you see immediately and interface with that California provides, but much of the wizardry behind the curtains as well.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:36 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post

um no everyone does not. your everyday person has no clue where these companies are based and likely assume they're in new york

personally, i knew google was based in california, but i thought apple was based in nyc. unless you're familiar with the IT field, this is not information the average joe is going to know or care about

people surfing the web aren't reminded of california any more than people drinking coca-cola or watching TBS are reminded of atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City