Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 09:36 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Technically TX offers everything GA offers AND some.

What is the 1st most overrated state?
"Technically",it does not.I don't really mean to sound smug,but Georgia has so much going on.(In spit of idiot leaders)Many people really don't know much about Georgia other than Atlanta.Too bad for them they don't.
Texas maybe bigger but culturally, ethnically and historically it can't hold a candle,Beauty and other things are subjective.(even that I find less than Georgia)

For one thing the History is lacking.
Not in Georgia is one of the original 13 colonies.It at one time spread all the way to the Louisianna border.

The Trail of Tears started in Georgia.You can visit the sites of many Native American sites.Some that go back more than 12,000 years.The Seminole Nations birthplace in South Georgia.
See Civil Rights birthplace
See Macon,Georgia Birthplace of more than one of America music genres.Gospel and Rock and Roll.Little Richard,Otis Redding,The Allman Brothers.Randy Crawford,

Also home to Nancy Grace,Sidney Laneir,
P. B. S. Pinchback-The 24th Governor of Louisiana-also the first of any state African American
Even the recently decease Lena Horne grew up partially in Macon.

James Brown(the God father of Soul)
Ray Charles-Albany

You can pan for Gold in the Georgia Mountains near Dalonega Georgia site of the nations first Gold rush and earliest Mint.

Texas does not have a Forbes/Mobil Rated facility like Georgia has on Sea Island and in Atlanta.

One place is on the Georgia coast on the group of barrier Islands called the Golden Isles.Sea Island in particular You may recall the G-8 Summit held there in 2004.

One of only a hand full of places in all of North America to receive such a designation.It has been rankled by all the major luxury travel publications as one of the top resorts in the world

YouTube - The Cloister Hotel Sea Island Georgia

Don't forget the Gullah/Geechie people.Descendants of the African slaves brought to America.They cultivated the rice crops in the outlying marshlands.Malaria and Yellow fever were rampant.But the slaves came from similar areas in Africa that allowed them to have more immunity from those life threatening diseases.

Quote:
Fearing disease, many white planters left the Lowcountry during the rainy spring and summer months when fever ran rampant.

They left a few of their trusted black "overseers"in charge.So their culture,Language and customs they brought from Africa did not change much as those slaves on the mainland became more westernised by the English influences surrounding them

What about Jekyll Island where the Rockafellers, Carnegie's, Vanderbilt's, built their "cottages"(small mansions) for their summer homes?
YouTube - Jekyll Island Area Video

Any place like Savannah and its colonial history?The architecture?Pop Culture?
Birthplace of Johnny Mercer.The Girl Scouts.The Cotton Gin,Paula Deen.Forest Gump .John Wesley(founder of Methodism home in the U.S.)Firts sunday school in north America.

Quote:
Architect John Massengale has called Savannah's city plan "the most intelligent grid in America, perhaps the world", and Edmund Bacon wrote that "it remains as one of the finest diagrams for city organization and growth in existence." The American Society of Civil Engineers has honored Oglethorpe's plan for Savannah as a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark, and in 1994 the plan was nominated for inclusion in the UNESCO World Heritage List.

How about searching for Blackbeard(the Pirates) treasure of the coast of Georgia around Sapelo Island.He terrorized the areas during his reighn of the seas.

The Hostess City-Savannah est 1733:

YouTube - Savannah GA

Civil War History in Texas?In abundance like Fort Pulaski.
YouTube - Fort Pulaski in Savannah, GA
Dont even mention all of the Revolutionary War history.
Like the Fort Frederica National Monument where the Battle of Bloody Marsh in 1742 on St.Simons Island:

Then You have Augusta.Does Texas have a worldwide top yearly sporting event considered the final championship.Such as Golf and the Masters Tournament at Augusta National.Designed by the best golfer of all time Bobby Jones of Atlanta.

Atlanta is another big city.Not too much different than Dallas or Houston.
Where in Texas can you tour a major News Network or Studios?
Turner Broadcasting and CNN,or a full fledge Film Production groundss like Tyler Perry Studios.The Weather Channel

Not to mention more music production studios and Record companies like:LaFace Records, Rowdy Records,Bad Boy South,SoSo Def,Patchwerk Studios,Doppler Studios.

An African American as I am.I went to an HBCU.In Georgia I had a choice of at least 10.Which 3 are state/public.One is a a Medical College.I also love HBCU football.In Atlanta I can go see 3 HBCU games or go to Georgia Tech in the Middle of the city under the Backdrop of the tallest building in the South.And when it is completed I will be able to go the College Football Hall of Fame.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs280.snc1/10719_149606656211_630596211_3951802_5805028_n.jpg (broken link)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs280.snc1/10719_149606701211_630596211_3951809_2967311_n.jpg (broken link)
Atlanta is the only Olympic City in the South.I can visit many attractions that pay homage to the world largest competitive sporting event.

In Atlanta I can go to Stone Mountain Park and ride a Swiss made Cable Car to the top of the Mountain.While there I can also see the enormous bas-relief on its north face, the largest bas-relief in the world.
http://www.pocatlantais.me/stonemountain.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 11:41 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Really now?
Culturally- False
Ethnically- False
Historically- False

I know you're proud of GA. But to say Texas cannot hold a candle speaks volumes on how you don't know much about it.

While we didn't have a civil war history like GA. We kind of had our own war. A war to give us independance from another nation and we have monuments all over the state that shows this. Then we became we our own nation or republic, then joined the union, followed by another joining the confederacy, then back to the union. Texas in it's history has been under six nations hence Six Flags over TEXAS. I could go on and on.

Ethnically, please explain. Texas is different than Georgia and that is of German decent. This is why there are German named cities in Central Texas and German festivals as well. This is why you have cities like New Braunfels and Luchenbach. Not to mention that Texas other ethnic groups help shape Texas into what it is today. By far the most diverse state in the Southern US and is continuing to diversify.

I could go on and on and dissect and respond to everything that you said such as Texas having HBCU's, great universities, etc. as well. We also have many things that you don't have as well. I wouldn't be quick to say Georgia doesn't hold a candle to Texas in these categories and you should do the same.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:34 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
I'm not sure what you mean't by "ethnically" afonega. That's extremely subjective.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean't by "ethnically" afonega. That's extremely subjective.
You are right it is.I suppose depending whose determining the parameters.Credibility based on track record,facts,other informed posters agreeing etc.Noticed I said informed. I guess Ethnically speaking there is no real major difference.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Really now?
Culturally- False
Ethnically- False
Historically- False

I know you're proud of GA. But to say Texas cannot hold a candle speaks volumes on how you don't know much about it.

While we didn't have a civil war history like GA. We kind of had our own war. A war to give us independance from another nation and we have monuments all over the state that shows this. Then we became we our own nation or republic, then joined the union, followed by another joining the confederacy, then back to the union. Texas in it's history has been under six nations hence Six Flags over TEXAS. I could go on and on.

Ethnically, please explain. Texas is different than Georgia and that is of German decent. This is why there are German named cities in Central Texas and German festivals as well. This is why you have cities like New Braunfels and Luchenbach. Not to mention that Texas other ethnic groups help shape Texas into what it is today. By far the most diverse state in the Southern US and is continuing to diversify.

I could go on and on and dissect and respond to everything that you said such as Texas having HBCU's, great universities, etc. as well. We also have many things that you don't have as well. I wouldn't be quick to say Georgia doesn't hold a candle to Texas in these categories and you should do the same.
LOL.I knew this would cause some stir.I don't need your validation as to what I said.So please do not advise me on what I should do as to not make you or anyone else feel uncomfortable with.I do not speak unless i have reason or a foundation that is based in some fact.However I am prepared to adresss my points further.

Almost 20 years ago I started My Air Force career at Lackland AFB in San Antonio TX.Since then I have been stationed at Sheppard AFB in Witchita Falls Texas, Dyess AFB in Abilene,Bergstrom outside Austin.Ranging over the years for a period of as little as 2months to as much as 1 and a half on different occasions.

Because of my adventure nature(and the fact that you use to make a lot more in Travel and expenses if you drove rather than fly in many cases)I have zig-zagged through Texas either on free weekends,or on my way to another assignment in other states.

From El Paso ,Lubbock,Amarillo,Del Rio,Dallas Houston etc.I have seen MORE than the average Texan.Great place but not my favorite by far.So trust me I don't claim to know it all,but I know A LOT.So if you have some to refrute what I said in all my points then feel free.

So let me answer your criticisms of my previous statements:
My statements were in response to what the posted said prior about Texas
Quote:
Technically TX offers everything GA offers AND some.

Simply is NOT TRUE;Everystate has some unique things about them but certain regions of the U.S. basically because of the time line of there existence will not have the same history or even outcomes based on that history.

For Instance.The Spanish were in Georgia first.

Those Germans places you talk of are no different than places like this in Georgia:

Quote:
Jerusalem Church survived not only the revolution but also occupation by Union general William T. Sherman's troops during the Civil War (1861-65), as well as an 1886 earthquake. The church, which still stands, houses the oldest continuing Lutheran congregation in the United States to worship in its original building. A replica of the orphanage serves as a museum, and several monuments celebrating the Salzburgers have been erected in Effingham County and Savannah.
Many descendants of the Salzburgers still live in Effingham and Chatham counties, and a number of them are active in the Georgia Salzburger Society, an independently operating genealogical and archaeological organization founded in 1925.

Quote:
The Salzburgers also established the first Sunday school in Georgia in 1734 and the first orphanage in 1737.

Also Georgia has Spanish,Native American,German,Scottish,Africans,Irish,even Haitian influences.

Like this:

YouTube - Savannah Monument Honors Haitians (Georgia, U.S.A.) - Oct 11, 2009

The Creole and Jamaican dialects are evident in the language of the Gullah people even today.

Not to mention the Moravians:
Quote:
The Moravians are Protestants who trace their origins to ancient Bohemia, in the present-day Czech Republic. The denomination was founded in the fifteenth century.

The Native Americans
Chief Vann House
New Georgia Encyclopedia: Chief Vann House

You speak of your own war but neglect the fact that many of the key figures in Texas were dependant on leaders from other states(including GA)

So based on the response that I gave to the previous poster.I stand by all that I said.As I said,there could be something I missed ,but nothing you posted as yet has given me reason to pause and reconsider.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:20 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
LOL.I knew this would cause some stir.I don't need your validation as to what I said.So please do not advise me on what I should do as to not make you or anyone else feel uncomfortable with.I do not speak unless i have reason or a foundation that is based in some fact.However I am prepared to adresss my points further.

Almost 20 years ago I started My Air Force career at Lackland AFB in San Antonio TX.Since then I have been stationed at Sheppard AFB in Witchita Falls Texas, Dyess AFB in Abilene,Bergstrom outside Austin.Ranging over the years for a period of as little as 2months to as much as 1 and a half on different occasions.

Because of my adventure nature(and the fact that you use to make a lot more in Travel and expenses if you drove rather than fly in many cases)I have zig-zagged through Texas either on free weekends,or on my way to another assignment in other states.

From El Paso ,Lubbock,Amarillo,Del Rio,Dallas Houston etc.I have seen MORE than the average Texan.Great place but not my favorite by far.So trust me I don't claim to know it all,but I know A LOT.So if you have some to refrute what I said in all my points then feel free.

Simply is NOT TRUE;Everystate has some unique things about them but certain regions of the U.S. basically because of the time line of there existence will not have the same history or even outcomes based on that history.

Those Germans places you talk of are no different than places like this in Georgia:

Also Georgia has Spanish,Native American,German,Scottish,Africans,Irish,even Haitian influences.

Like this:

The Creole and Jamaican dialects are evident in the language of the Gullah people even today.

The Native Americans
Chief Vann House

You speak of your own war but neglect the fact that many of the key figures in Texas were dependant on leaders from other states(including GA)

So based on the response that I gave to the previous poster.I stand by all that I said.As I said,there could be something I missed ,but nothing you posted as yet has given me reason to pause and reconsider.
No offense but you seem pretty defensive.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
No offense but you seem pretty defensive.
Well I was put on defense based on my post.So by that standard I guess I am.Not angry just defining my point.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:31 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Well I was put on defense based on my post.So by that standard I guess I am.Not angry just defining my point.
Your kidding yourself if you think Georgia offers just as much as Texas. No way; Texas is extremely too big for Georgia to be compared.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:34 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:

Like this:

The Native Americans
Chief Vann House

I think the Spanish were in Florida 1st. You can still see this influence today. The Spanish dominated TX also. Florida has MANY Haitians, Jamaicans, Germans, Native Americans also. Texas also has a growing Haitian community, and plenty of Germans, Native Americans, Scotts, PLENTY of Creoles, plus plenty of Nigerians(just like ATL) plenty of Vietnamese, Salvadorians, Colombians, Puerto Ricans, Tejano Culture, and different Indian tribal entities such as the Ysleta Del Sur Pueblo. Maybe it doesn't offer the SAME exact things as GA does, and I've driven all over GA the same way you have TX(I've been to Savanah, ATL, Augusta, just to name a few) but to suggest it can't hold a candle to, or compare to GA is something else.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:53 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,248 times
TX and NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City