Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Charlotte vs. Orlando
Charlotte 66 50.77%
Orlando 64 49.23%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 11:39 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,913,449 times

Advertisements

It's interesting that the score is tied at the moment (19-19), yet the people who are posting are almost all in favor of CLT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 12:22 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I live in FL (Orlando) and was born in FL. We usually disagree on things in te ORL forum, but that's ok. I am very familiar with Charlotte and obviously Orlando, as I live here. To me, when you say Orlando is better in "dining, entertainment and nightlife," I kind of see all 3 of those as the same thing. As you mentioned, CLT's economy is more diverse and more stable. Completely agree - not even close. Also, you have to look at the population. This is huge. The people you meet, drive on the roads with, etc. is a big part of folks' lives. I give the edge to CLT is that category as well. Housing is more stable. Orlando new subdivisions are drowning in forclosures and property crime. In Charlotte, you can be in Greenville SC in 2 hours, ATL in 2 hours. Charleston isnt too far away. Obviously FL has the beaches advantage though.

As far as CLT being the bible belt and nascar disguised as a city, I couldnt disagree more. CLT has so many transplants and is far more diverse in that way than ORL. Orlando is Puerto Ricans and northerners mostly. But enough about diversity, I think it's overrated anyhow. But that's me. Nascar isnt even king in NC, it's basketball. And the colleges in NC by far surpass that of FL's. Which keeps a lot of educated, local talent in the state.

Advantage CLT.
That's what Charlotte is turning into now as I speak. Not that it's a bad thing.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:48 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,688,532 times
Quote:
I live in FL (Orlando) and was born in FL. We usually disagree on things in te ORL forum, but that's ok. I am very familiar with Charlotte and obviously Orlando, as I live here. To me, when you say Orlando is better in "dining, entertainment and nightlife," I kind of see all 3 of those as the same thing. As you mentioned, CLT's economy is more diverse and more stable. Completely agree - not even close. Also, you have to look at the population. This is huge. The people you meet, drive on the roads with, etc. is a big part of folks' lives. I give the edge to CLT is that category as well. Housing is more stable. Orlando new subdivisions are drowning in forclosures and property crime. In Charlotte, you can be in Greenville SC in 2 hours, ATL in 2 hours. Charleston isnt too far away. Obviously FL has the beaches advantage though.

As far as CLT being the bible belt and nascar disguised as a city, I couldnt disagree more. CLT has so many transplants and is far more diverse in that way than ORL. Orlando is Puerto Ricans and northerners mostly. But enough about diversity, I think it's overrated anyhow. But that's me. Nascar isnt even king in NC, it's basketball. And the colleges in NC by far surpass that of FL's. Which keeps a lot of educated, local talent in the state.

Advantage CLT.
orlando is more diverse than that

Old 03-21-2010, 12:51 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
"According to the latest census figures, nearly 750,000 Puerto Ricans now live in Florida — and the largest concentration is in Orlando, where Puerto Ricans have become the fastest-growing population."

Puerto Ricans Gain Political Clout In Florida : NPR

Old 03-21-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
orlando is more diverse than that
I said "mostly."

Old 03-21-2010, 01:35 PM

What is so bad about puerto ricans? They aren't the majority, but there is a large group of them in central FL. Most of them came here from places like NYC, NJ, and Chicago. I only know a few who came here from the island. A lot of my friends have Puerto Rican orgins but they were mostly born in the US, they speak perfect english and they are in all types of social classes just like every other American (low middle or upper class). Just because someone isn't white doesn't mean anything, there is too much ignorance on this forum. Orlando is a very diverse place. I know people from who are from all around the US and the world. I'm friends with people who were born in Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, Ireland, Spain, Ukraine, Italy, China, Japan, Laos, Vietnam, India, Egypt, U.K., Colombia, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, DR, Canada and almost every US state. Of course the largest group of people in metro Orlando are white Americans who have lived in the U.S. for several generations, but Orlando is a melting pot of all types of people and cultures. Which is a good thing, esp for the future.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:52 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,052,083 times
Quote:
It's interesting that the score is tied at the moment (19-19), yet the people who are posting are almost all in favor of CLT.
First off, no...it isn't interesting since the poll results are all that matters. What IS interesting is that the much maligned Orlando is hanging with the heavily hyped Charlotte on this forum. Second, "almost all" of the posts are not in favor of Charlotte. There are a few more posts in favor of Charlotte.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:37 PM

Of the posts that said one or the other, it's 9 to 4 in favor of CLT. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of CLT due to it's similar problems. Even the people that suggested they like ORL better, some of them said CLT is better for jobs and for a family. Orlando has the same theme to each post who voted for it, nightlife/entertainment/dining. Nobody that voted for ORL brought up qulaity of life, what's best for a family, etc... it's always the same ol' "entertainment" theme that gets old quickly. Orlando's so transient with very little economy to support the population, that's why CLT attracts the folks it attracts, and ORL continues to attract the folks that it attracts.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:31 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Quote:
Orlando has the same theme to each post who voted for it, nightlife/entertainment/dining.
Unless you like attractions for 10 year olds and eating at chain restaurants I do not see anything special about Orlando's dining and entertainment.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Of the posts that said one or the other, it's 9 to 4 in favor of CLT. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of CLT due to it's similar problems. Even the people that suggested they like ORL better, some of them said CLT is better for jobs and for a family. Orlando has the same theme to each post who voted for it, nightlife/entertainment/dining. Nobody that voted for ORL brought up qulaity of life, what's best for a family, etc... it's always the same ol' "entertainment" theme that gets old quickly. Orlando's so transient with very little economy to support the population, that's why CLT attracts the folks it attracts, and ORL continues to attract the folks that it attracts.
Jobs are scarce everywhere, but good jobs do exist in Orlando. Because the unemployment rate in Orlando is a few percentage points higher than what it is in Charlotte doesn't mean Orlando is so much worse than Charlotte to live a good life. My parents have good jobs, a lot of people have good jobs here and there are a lot of nice areas to raise kids in. btw recreational options are factors for determining quality of life.

Charlotte has good entertainment, dinning and shopping too, Orlando's is just better. And good jobs do exist in Orlando along with nice areas to raise families, there is just more opportunity in Charlotte at the time. It just depends on what you want. Not everyone is moving to a city to start a family.

But if I already had a job lined up, I would pick Orlando because many communities exist in metro Orlando with good schools and low crime to raise families, then you have all the recreational options that comes with living in Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City