Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In the South/Southeast, what's the most vibrant city?
Charleston, SC 2 2.04%
Savannah, GA 0 0%
Atlanta, GA 22 22.45%
Miami, FL 39 39.80%
Mobile, AL 1 1.02%
New Orleans, LA 7 7.14%
Houston, TX 4 4.08%
Dallas, TX 7 7.14%
Austin, TX 7 7.14%
Little Rock, AR 0 0%
Nashville, TN 1 1.02%
Athens, GA 0 0%
Charlotte, NC 2 2.04%
Memphis, TN 4 4.08%
OTHER OPTION (SPECIFY IN POST) 2 2.04%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 05:12 PM

725 posts, read 1,510,651 times

Advertisements

miami or New orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 05:51 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,058,038 times
This is tough but I'd put it something like:

1. Orlando, its not the clubs and normal vibrancy of other cities but I don't think any place in the country outside of NYC and Vegas can compete with the livelihood that goes on in all of those amusement parks. There are far far far more people at those amusement parks on any given day than in all the clubs in Miami. Fireworks, live music, and parades literally every day. In multiple places. Then you have a decent selection of clubs in downtown and a quite a few over by UCF as well.

2. Miami would then be the second place spot and the more obvious answer.

3. Toss up between Gainesville, Austin, and Raleigh/Durham.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:08 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
Default Gainesville, FL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
This is tough but I'd put it something like:

1. Orlando, its not the clubs and normal vibrancy of other cities but I don't think any place in the country outside of NYC and Vegas can compete with the livelihood that goes on in all of those amusement parks. There are far far far more people at those amusement parks on any given day than in all the clubs in Miami. Fireworks, live music, and parades literally every day. In multiple places. Then you have a decent selection of clubs in downtown and a quite a few over by UCF as well.

2. Miami would then be the second place spot and the more obvious answer.

3. Toss up between Gainesville, Austin, and Raleigh/Durham.
Are you speaking of Gainesville, FL?? We were there last year in spring after UF had let out for the semester. That is the most boring town around! Hardly any good restaurants and I only saw one kind of run down mall. We rode all over looking for someplace to eat and finally just settled on a family style place near the mall, where they were unfriendly and unhelpful. We ate at Cracker Barrel the day before and I left my sweater on the chair. Called the next a.m. and it was gone--nobody turned it in. I think the waiter took it--brand new. Downtown is scruffy and we saw a fairly good police presence. Is there crime downtown? Unless you are into UF sports, it's a nothing place.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:20 AM

Sorry you didn't have a good experience, not sure why you would ever eat at Cracker Barrel, anywhere. There is a lot more to UF than sports, there is a very big arts scene there, and tons of protests and demonstrations happen there all the time.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:31 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
I don't think Gainesville or Raleigh has anything on New Orleans, Houston, or Austin when it comes to vibrancy.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:33 PM

353 posts, read 816,467 times
Miami, by far on every category

Old 05-05-2010, 12:52 PM

I'm just curious are people ignoring Disney as if its some special entity that doesn't really count for Orlando or are people considering Disney and still believe other places to have more vibrancy and options? I mean Disney damn near redefined energy with the extreme levels they make their employees go to create the Disney Experience as well as the energy they put in to orchestrating parades, parties, shows, fireworks, and tons of other things every single day.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:31 PM

937 posts, read 927,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
I'm just curious are people ignoring Disney as if its some special entity that doesn't really count for Orlando or are people considering Disney and still believe other places to have more vibrancy and options? I mean Disney damn near redefined energy with the extreme levels they make their employees go to create the Disney Experience as well as the energy they put in to orchestrating parades, parties, shows, fireworks, and tons of other things every single day.
Well, you could actually say Lake Buena Vista is the vibrant city and Orlando is its suburbs.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:14 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Orlando isn't that vibrant either. I will give you Miami. But I cannot put Orlando above New Orleans (especially), Atlanta, or Houston. Disney World is nothing more than a giant theme park.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:23 PM

... and New Orleans is nothing more than a big city. Could you clarify how Disney does not qualify as Vibrant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City