Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most culturally Southern?
Houston 27 47.37%
Oklahoma City 4 7.02%
Louisville 23 40.35%
Washington, DC 2 3.51%
Miami 1 1.75%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 12:13 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I Agree Texas and Florida has more but spain also control once parts of Georgia through Louisiana and etc.

Spanish missions in Georgia (U.S. state)

And at one point almost half of Alabama and Mississippi was once part of Spanish Florida.

Spanish Florida

File:West Florida Map 1767.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cool I didn't know Florida and Georgia had spanish missions here's the ones around San Antonio

San Antonio Missions National Historical Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

San Antonio Missions National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 04:02 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
What is this thread getting at exactly?

Houston is not a border city, I think you're thinking of El Paso.

Oklahoma City is also not a border city, and Louisville can be at the border of the southern region and Midwestern region but nothing else, Miami is also not a border city.

Anyways to answer your question: Houston is located in the south, so it is southern, but culturally it's mixed, it has a very diverse culture. Yes it has some southern influence, but the whole city is mixed, there's so many different cultures that it's impossible to tell what Houston really is. The only thing it can be is international/diverse city. There is no one specific culture here that out does another, unless being Texan is considered a culture. =) But that's about it folks.

The most southern geographically- Miami
Most Southern Culturally- Louisville

Old 04-25-2010, 04:39 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,400,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Because the south isn't Monolithic what are you basing southern culture on Memphis/Mississippi Delta, Ozark culture, culture of New Orleans, culture of Nashville, Low country of GA and SC. The New south region, The Black belt region, upper south culture what? before we even start.

Houston actually have Creole influences
Oklahoma City has Native American influences from the southeast
Miami has Afro West Indian influences which are like the low country
Louisville is the upper south

DC is not southern to me, the city was planned to be at a location between the North and South, and it seem that historically DC was consider southern because besides New Orleans the south historically didn’t have that many major cities but 2010 it’s pointless. Time have change, the south is actually the most populous region defined by the US census. DC has nothing to do with the south to me.
But whether you like it or not DC is in the South because Maryland is also in the South despite Baltimore and the fact that most of Maryland is Southern by Culture.........

Old 04-25-2010, 09:44 AM

871 posts, read 2,247,396 times
i voted louisville because houston is not a border southern city. its surrounded by the south in all directions besides the oceans.

like said earlier, given its large size and the immigration from other parts of the country that comes with it, louisville gets the vote. especially compared to those others. still plenty of southern dialect, food, religion, etc. in louisville.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:51 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
I pick Houston; we aren't afraid of our past and our southern culture unlike these other places.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I pick Houston; we aren't afraid of our past and our southern culture unlike these other places.
um, i dont know if "afraid" is the right word. it doesnt work that way. big cities lose their "southerness" due to influxes of people from other parts of the country. this has nothing to do with beong "afraid" or not.

that being said, houston shouldnt be on this list, because its not "border south" its surrounded by south, although its influx of northerns certianly has had an effect, but to a normal degree for a city of its size. of the remaining, louisville gets the nod, then maybe OKC.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:06 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
um, i dont know if "afraid" is the right word. it doesnt work that way. big cities lose their "southerness" due to influxes of people from other parts of the country. this has nothing to do with beong "afraid" or not.

that being said, houston shouldnt be on this list, because its not "border south" its surrounded by south, although its influx of northerns certianly has had an effect, but to a normal degree for a city of its size. of the remaining, louisville gets the nod, then maybe OKC.
I use afraid because people see being southern as negative. It's an issue when you have cities in the lowest parts of the south (Miami) denying their southern ways.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:08 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Sorry, I couldn't resist, LOL.

If anything, this should prove to be an interesting discussion since there are several elements which could be said to define cultural Southernness. All of these cities are geographically Southern and have historical Southern influences, but are great examples of contemporary cultural cross-pollination because of their border locations.
There's no such thing as Southern Culture.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:10 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Yes there is:

Redneck Culture

Old 04-25-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
yea there is. there is dialect, cuisine, mannerisms, customs, religious practices, all the things that define culture. you are simply wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City