Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city overall?
Detroit 30 37.04%
Cleveland 51 62.96%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 11:13 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,517,133 times

Advertisements

I have to go with Cleveland; however I do think Detroit will once more rise to glory but it will take some time.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:30 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,489,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw50 View Post
^Undeniably, Detroit has better international air service than Cleveland. But the comparison ends there. There is no 'glass ceiling' over Cleveland, nor is there any bottom of far Detroit can fall.

Detroit was a great city and I do hope it turns itself around. I like Detroit. But at the moment, Cleveland is doing far better than Detroit, and I think in five years we'll see a very bustling Cleveland and a still struggling Detroit. Cleveland already is a global player--especially in medicine and bio-tech, which in five years time will only be stronger.
I really hope Cleveland continues to do well, too; I am a big supporter of all "Rustbelt" cities, but in reality, metro Cleveland needs to add several million people to its region to really compete amongst the heavy-weight cities of the world. Certainly, the Detroit metro needs to stop hemorrhaging people if it hopes to remain in the game. This isn't to say that Cleveland won't be a very strong city with a healthy economy and a vibrant core, but it is not in the same category as Detroit in terms of influence.

In my opinion, Cleveland gets a lot of competition from other Ohio cities. Ohio has a number of mid-sized metros all within relatively close proximity. In contrast, Detroit is the dominate metro in Michigan, comprising one-half of the State of Michigan's population. Grand Rapids is far enough away that it doesn't compete with Detroit much for population and industry. And, Ann Arbor, while it maintains its own identity, has essentially merged with the western Detroit suburbs. Cleveland has to compete with Columbus, Dayton, Cinci, Toledo, and probably even Pittsburgh. The best thing Ohio could have done is link all of its major metros with high-speed rail, creating a sort-of "super metro," which would have given it much more clout.

The United States has a handful of cities ranked in terms of global influence. Not long ago, Detroit was near the top of that list. Today, it is closer to the bottom, but it is still a contender. Detroit has the population, metro wealth, GDP, and international prestige to remain a major force in world economics, trade, culture, and politics. Cleveland has never played at that level, even at its peak. Remember that Cleveland suffers from many of the same afflictions that plague Detroit, i.e. declining population, industrial decline, and urban blight, among others. This is likely due in part to the fact the Cleveland's economy was tied to Detroit industry as its lifeblood for decades.

Perhaps the medical industry will really help Cleveland turn the corner, but you've got tough competition coming out of other cities in the Midwest, not excluding Pittsburgh, Columbus, Grand Rapids, and even Detroit, which is also rapidly growing its medical industry. I'm not saying it's impossible, but Cleveland would really have to up its status to get a piece in the game.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:12 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillytoCincy View Post
Oh no, I know Wayne State is respected; esecially their nursing program. But it can't really compete on levels of Case.

The tuition at Case is $30,000 a year. Most working class families could not afford to send their son or daughter to Case.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:02 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,477 times
I will not bash Detroit ... it is an important city in America, but then so is CLEVELAND.
Cleveland was the original city of lights ... not Paris, France! There are sooooooooo
many incredible assets, amenities and attributes in Cleveland ... we're making an astounding comeback too!

Honestly tho, Cleveland truly is "light years" ahead of Detroit with it's ongoing and startling renaissance ... the city is being transformed in some very monumental ways.

Here's a video that captures just some of the HUGE PROJECTS that are beginning to revitalize and re-shape Cleveland ... Americas Forest City

Anybody who mentions that Cleveland has no international clout or dominance ... well, let's just say that they're NOT dealing with reality.
Cleveland has always been, and continues to be one of the most important cities in America ... and on a global stage as well.

‪Greater Cleveland Partnership 2011 Annual Meeting Video‬‏ - YouTube

‪Downtown Cleveland Is Moving‬‏ - YouTube

‪Greater Cleveland Partnership "Turning the Corner"‬‏ - YouTube

‪Greater Cleveland Partnership "Rediscover Our Region"‬‏ - YouTube

‪HD Cleveland, Ohio at Night‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-20-2011, 02:39 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,303 times
I am going to go with Cleveland since it's not Detroit.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:29 AM

82 posts, read 90,303 times
Are we talking city or metro?

The city of Cleveland is a little healthier than Detroit, but Metro Detroit is healthier than Metro Cleveland.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:55 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,515,028 times
Cleveland. But I do love Detroit.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:18 AM

996 posts, read 1,896,214 times
Cleveland wins in pretty all categories. Except sports. Detroit has a great MLB, and NHL Team. Also, the Lions will in a few years be a formidable team.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:45 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,032,431 times
I'll take Flint over both of them.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:45 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,488,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I'll take Flint over both of them.
Does Flint have lots of Victorian architecture I'm unaware of, or are you trolling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City