Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city overall?
Detroit 30 37.04%
Cleveland 51 62.96%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 02:27 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Yeah my grandparents live in Detroit, they love it there, got great natural scenery in the suburbs, tall tree's good wildlife, and the houses are pretty huge for a very affordable cost. They love it there, even with the so called "harsh winters" everyone else outside of the Midwest and Northeast keep singing their anthem about...

Haha, 300 million? That seems like a bit too much.

Do you know if any other companies are planning to come into the city? I heard film production companies have been looking to make production studios in Detroit for years.
Are they diversifying their economy?

I'd love to see this city get back up on it's feet. Same with all the other Midwestern cities.
Yea I've heard about the film companies interest in Detroit. Matter of fact last summer everybody was going crazy because Wesly Snipes was shooting a movie across the street from me in the Detroit City airport. I've also heard of people talking about a few movie casting in the city and metro. But idk if they are going to do anything else. I think they are trying to diversify the economy but with the wide negative view its hard to bring companies here for the fear that no one will move here smh. Just like when they were saying how our state fair attendance had sunk very low and thinking about shutting it down. Last yr was supposedly the last yr for the state fair and they had plans to build on the land. I heard everything from a mall to a super mejier (oh and yes state fair grounds is in city limits). But whoever was funding the mall backed out smh. I don't know about the mejier I'd have to find out. But I think the city definitely needs some retail.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:38 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
yes they do. they have plenty. The big three has already began hiring. For example Chrysler has done a mass hiring 3 times already. Now they are planning to hire 1,080 people at a plant IN THE CITY (jefferson truck I believe). Ford will probly be doing this soon with the building of the new plant in Warren (metro Detroit). The city also has a proposal to provide I believe 300 mil jobs (don't quote me on that I just read it somewhere lol). They also have been in the process of turning Detroit Public Schools around and have already increased enrollment. The city has also BEEN rennovating and restoring plenty of neighborhoods. We have a couple of new (starting price) $200,000+ subdivisions (Conner Creek Industrial and Jefferson Village are examples.

you can actually check out all the things going on here on some of the websites. Next Detroit (you can search it I don't know the exact site) being one. Its a lot of things the media will never show you.
One big question, isn't that a bit risky still relying heavily on the auto industry? Diversifying an economy is really needed to make sure one industry's fortunes are a city's destiny. It just seems that its setting itself up for another fall in the future, and next time there likely will be no bailouts either. What plans are there to attract non-manufacturing jobs, especially for college-educated people?

Old 05-26-2010, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
One big question, isn't that a bit risky still relying heavily on the auto industry? Diversifying an economy is really needed to make sure one industry's fortunes are a city's destiny. It just seems that its setting itself up for another fall in the future, and next time there likely will be no bailouts either. What plans are there to attract non-manufacturing jobs, especially for college-educated people?
well people do still have jobs in the auto industry. People don't seem to grasp that the auto industry has to with a lot more than just working in a plant. Secondly I did mention they plan to bring jobs in the city. They have also talked about different things over the radio as well. People should just look it up instead of assuming whatever.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:47 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times
Quote:
besides the development downtown whats been going on in Cleveland??? Because I've been seeing a lot of people that are not from either city saying the only thing Cleveland has better than here is the downtown. These people are from either place so they can't be bias
Cleveland development? I don't even know where to begin.

__________________________________________________ _____________
All photos/renderings have been removed by Moderator.

Notice: Images that contain a watermark that says "©all rights reserved" (or similar) may NOT be reproduced on any other site other than the photo owner's site, unless you have written permission by that person to use their photos in any way you like. Even providing a link does not exempt you when the photo has a watermark © imprint on it. Any images that contain copyright watermarks will be removed. See the photo posting guidelines for all info in the room sticky which has been at the top of the room now for a very long time
: http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...e-posting.html

__________________________________________________ _____________

I honestly could go on for pages, Cleveland is developing so much right now. These are only a few of the developments. The gentrification of Ohio City, Tremont, and Gordon Square area continues

And I don't believe the downtown is the "only" thing better. University Circle alone is a factor that Detroit will never be able to compete with. And Cleveland has already started to transition away from the "blue collar" type of jobs... and are diversifying in terms of financial institutes, healthcare/hospital related industries.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 05-27-2010 at 09:12 PM..

Old 05-27-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Cleveland development? I don't even know where to begin.

Cleveland City Planning Commission

Uptown Project near University Circle - mixed use of retail, restaurants, cafes, and condos

CSU "North" Campus development

Cleveland State University picks developer for $50 million first phase of North Campus Neighborhood | cleveland.com

5 turbines in the works for wind power project in Lake Erie | cleveland.com

Tyler Village

cleveland medical mart

University Hospital's

Cleveland Museum of Art Expansion

Welcome to The Euclid Corridor Transportation Project

Battery Park

Little Italy

Chicle Condos

Flats East Bank of the Flats

Avenue District (Retail and Condos)

West Bank of the Flats - note the East and West Banks of the flats have nothing right now, but they are starting to build

Cleveland State Visual and Performing arts

The Cliffs in Rocky River/Lakewood (inner ring suburbs) - Completed

I honestly could go on for pages, Cleveland is developing so much right now. These are only a few of the developments. The gentrification of Ohio City, Tremont, and Gordon Square area continues

And I don't believe the downtown is the "only" thing better. University Circle alone is a factor that Detroit will never be able to compete with. And Cleveland has already started to transition away from the "blue collar" type of jobs... and are diversifying in terms of financial institutes, healthcare/hospital related industries.
I'm glad for Cleveland but a lot of people on here are a little arrogant. I understand people are going to be bias towards their own city but too many people who have never been here say things that are far from true or just because the "media" smh keeps telling you its one way does not mean it is. I know how it is to come from a city that keeps getting beat down so I understand the pride but even to your comment I'm like "wow really?" "Detroit will NEVER be able to compete with" you don't know whats in the future and people outside the city and metro don't know the plans for the city because that part is never shown. Now from my understanding Cleveland has been in the process of gengrification for a while now. Although Detroit has made "some" efforts the city only been really trying to do something within the last couple of years. I'll post some stuff about what's going on here too so people can get the otherside of the story besides the murder rate smh. But honestly I hope ALL of the midwest come back. I really believe that in many ways the midwest. could easily be the power region of the US

Old 05-27-2010, 09:04 PM

Downtown

Campus Martius

Copyrighted photos removed by moderator

Detroit International Riverfront
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/48/Detroit_International_Riverfront_Rivard_Place_Merr y_Go_Round.jpg/300px-Detroit_International_Riverfront_Rivard_Place_Merr y_Go_Round.jpg (broken link)

Image copyrighted.

(Riverdays) above picture^

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 05-27-2010 at 09:13 PM..

Old 05-27-2010, 09:13 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
Folks - if you want to keep your pics from being removed, it's worth your while to not ignore the posting guidelines in the room sticky: http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...e-posting.html

Old 05-27-2010, 09:16 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,988 times
Good pics D-Love!

I think Detroit has a fair shot of bouncing back, maybe even faster than Cleveland. This will only happen though, if the people in charge and in the city themselves cooperate to make things better for all.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:27 PM

Eastern Market (not new, been here since forever lol but people still go to the eastern market. On saturday shopping the eastern market recieves around 45,000 customers on average. You can visit the site for it too just google it)

http://www.downtowndetroit.org/ddp/images/Detroit_Eastern_Market-2.jpg (broken link)
for people who swear we can't get quality food ^^^ we might not have a walmart or publix but we have eastern market lol (sarcastic)
http://www.saturdaymorningmarket.com/images/natlmarkets3.jpg (broken link)

New Developments at Belle Isle Park
night and day^

UAW-GM Center

Restored Westin Book Cadillac Hotel
http://zoomhaus.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/689KD.jpg (broken link)

Part of the restored east ferry ave historic distric

Old 05-27-2010, 09:44 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Eastern Market (not new, been here since forever lol but people still go to the eastern market. On saturday shopping the eastern market recieves around 45,000 customers on average. You can visit the site for it too just google it)

for people who swear we can't get quality food ^^^ we might not have a walmart or publix but we have eastern market lol (sarcastic)
That place looks really cool. We just opened the Milwaukee Public Market a few years back in an attempt to emulate the Eastern Market in Detroit and the West Side Market in Cleveland. Here's an interesting fact you may not be aware of, Michigan is second only to California among U.S. states in the diversity of its agriculture.

MDA - Agriculturally Speaking... Celebrating Michigan Agriculture during National Ag Week (http://www.mi.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125-1572-210558--,00.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City