Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city overall?
Detroit 30 37.04%
Cleveland 51 62.96%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 11:06 AM

902 posts, read 2,786,904 times

Advertisements

And BTW, Detroit isn't 34% white like you posted on another thread in the Detroit forum, that for some odd reason is asking Where Black people live in Detroit. WTF???? Also you post things about the affluent neighborhoods, some of which are only a few blocks and completely surrounded by crime-infested neighborhoods. Get a clue.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:01 PM

detroitlove has ranted and raved about how Detroit is doing well, that it is 900,000 people and recently gained 100,000 people in a year. He/She has said that other cities are just as bad such as Chicago, DC, Atlanta, etc...and that Detroit has as much good going for it as those cities. He/She has said that the majority of Metro Detroit is just as bad and worse than Detroit's bad neighborhoods.

Here are some facts about Detroit. From 2007 Census data it shows that the average income in Detroit is $29,109 compared to Oakland County's(Suburban Detroit) $85,468 and the U.S. average of $60,374.

In 2006 the census estimated Detroit's population to be 837,711, a decrease of 11.9% from the 2000 census figure of 951,270. Detroits population in 2009 was estimated to be down to about 820,000 people and with the state of the city it is still falling--fast.

The Demographics of Detroit are estimated by the census in 2006 to be:

8.4% white
82.5% black
1.1% asian
6.8% latino

The unemployment rate in Detroit is officially just under 30% but has been said to be even higher and possibly up to 50%. Metro Detroit suffers from a roughly 15% unemployment rate.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:00 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
And BTW for those Cleveland boosters, Detroit Metro is far and away the better and nicer metro between Cleveland and Detroit. Detroit has one of the best and nicest metros in the country. Detroit is its metro area.
I disagree. Cleveland has a great metro with some of the best suburbs in the nation. Detroit has a great metro with some of the best suburbs as well, but I would hardly say either is "far and away better" than the other. IMO about the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Yeah? Why? What do you have that we don't have? Why would I want to live in Troy over Hudson, or Roseville over Parma, or Royal Oak over Lakewood? Because I can't think of a single reason.
Couldn't have said it better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
You starting to wonder if I ever been to Cleveland but you obviosly don't know what you're talking about. First off mack off Vandyke is far from 6 mile and Vandyke and there are plenty of homes there. The area on Vandyke right before 6 mile was the vacant area. Notice I said WAS. My parents use to stay over there on Leander. They use to call it Vietnam. My neighbors niece moved over there back in 2006 and it was plenty of new homes over there. I highly doubt you been though most of Detroit anyway. The area you name is just one neighborhood on the eastside. Detroit is much bigger than people think. Like I said its good you all believe in your city. Great. But don't be so arrogant about it smh.
I'm saying that the area right off Van Dyke ave FROM Mack to 6 mile is a very vacant area, most of it.

Indian Village isn't far from Mack and Van Dyke, yes it's a nice area but it's surrounded by slums.
Quote:
detroitlove has ranted and raved about how Detroit is doing well, that it is 900,000 people and recently gained 100,000 people in a year. He/She has said that other cities are just as bad such as Chicago, DC, Atlanta, etc...and that Detroit has as much good going for it as those cities. He/She has said that the majority of Metro Detroit is just as bad and worse than Detroit's bad neighborhoods.

Here are some facts about Detroit. From 2007 Census data it shows that the average income in Detroit is $29,109 compared to Oakland County's(Suburban Detroit) $85,468 and the U.S. average of $60,374.

In 2006 the census estimated Detroit's population to be 837,711, a decrease of 11.9% from the 2000 census figure of 951,270. Detroits population in 2009 was estimated to be down to about 820,000 people and with the state of the city it is still falling--fast.

The Demographics of Detroit are estimated by the census in 2006 to be:

8.4% white
82.5% black
1.1% asian
6.8% latino

The unemployment rate in Detroit is officially just under 30% but has been said to be even higher and possibly up to 50%. Metro Detroit suffers from a roughly 15% unemployment rate.
detroitlove has no clue what he/she is talking about.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:27 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,054 times
Quote:
And BTW, Detroit isn't 34% white like you posted on another thread in the Detroit forum, that for some odd reason is asking Where Black people live in Detroit. WTF???? Also you post things about the affluent neighborhoods, some of which are only a few blocks and completely surrounded by crime-infested neighborhoods. Get a clue.
If you go back tot the thread I actually corrected saying I read that is was in 2008!!! smh. Secondly the thread is asking where are the black people in affluent neighborhoods in the city not where black people stay (which is obviously everywhere). The post was because I got sick of videos on YT and in the media showing only white people in the affluent neighborhoods. So who needs to get a clue???

Old 05-30-2010, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Do you realize that Flint and Detroit are two cities in the same boat. They share the same cultural ties and happen to be only 45 minutes away by car. Flint is a part of the Detroit CSA. Crime patterns are very similar in both cities as is unemployment. I haven't been rude to you in my posts, but you act like an immature child to me. I am going to leave it alone, because like I said it is great that you have pride, and maybe when you have lived a little bit longer you will be able to understand fully how big of a rut the city of Detroit is in--a rut that is going to take much longer than 10 years to dig itself out of. Flint and Detroit are two of the fastest declining cities in population in the country. They have the highest unemployment rates in the state with the highest unemployment rates. The state has NO money, nor does Detroit. Sorry to break it to ya, but Detroit is a corrupt city. I have love for Detroit, but not many people do and I just face the facts. I noticed that you ignored a thread on the Michigan forum that pretty clearly states the dire straights that the state and city of Detroit is facing.

The bell is tolling for Michigan | detnews.com | The Detroit News (http://www.detnews.com/article/20100520/OPINION03/5200336/The-bell-is-tolling-for-Michigan - broken link)
You assumed I ignored the thread??? lmao but im immature. Live here a little longer huh? Ok I was born and raised here. Im 22 btw. I didn't say it would be all the way back in 10 yrs. UKUK said that. I said I agree Detroit will be far from where its at. I don't care about Flint. Do you see me on any Flint threads. NO! Quite frankly I don't live there and never will so its not my problem.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
I disagree. Cleveland has a great metro with some of the best suburbs in the nation. Detroit has a great metro with some of the best suburbs as well, but I would hardly say either is "far and away better" than the other. IMO about the same.

Couldn't have said it better.

I'm saying that the area right off Van Dyke ave FROM Mack to 6 mile is a very vacant area, most of it.

Indian Village isn't far from Mack and Van Dyke, yes it's a nice area but it's surrounded by slums.

detroitlove has no clue what he/she is talking about.
First off did you read the thread on the Detroit forum??? Second you said the area between mack and 6mile on Vandyke like its two or three lights down smh.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:38 AM

Also I notice most of the people on here talking so much about Detroit are also "Detroit Bashing" on other threads smh. BelieveinCle being one of them smh.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:28 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,668 times
City Beauty Defined = CLEVELAND

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs534.ash1/31331_1312136893527_1533793244_30945295_2579696_n. jpg (broken link)

Old 05-30-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
If you go back tot the thread I actually corrected saying I read that is was in 2008!!! smh. Secondly the thread is asking where are the black people in affluent neighborhoods in the city not where black people stay (which is obviously everywhere). The post was because I got sick of videos on YT and in the media showing only white people in the affluent neighborhoods. So who needs to get a clue???
Even so, if you really didn't know that and believed an article from 2008(which probably didn't say that as Detroits white pop. in 2000 census was only 10%) than you know very little about your city.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:33 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times
I was just downtown last night. Ate at Saigon on E.4th then hit up Hilarities for a comedy show. Afterwards, a nice dessert at The Chocolate Bar... Great evening! E4th was packed as usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City