Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you consider to be 3rd Coast?
Texas to Florida's West Coast 144 64.00%
Chicago & the Great Lakes Region 81 36.00%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 07:36 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

And oh man, what about hot dogs? I mean, what's up with that? They're hot, but they aren't dogs at all (unless you're in Korea maybe nyuk nyuk nyuk)! That's some crazy talk right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 07:37 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Interesting that neither of you was brave enough to take the picture challenge. You were even challenged to do so, but didn't. The only thing one can surmise is that you were afraid you couldn't tell the difference.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:39 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
Why hasn't the gulf area between Texas and Florida been called a coast yet? Theres plenty of beaches and everything, it already is the 3rd coast.

Clearwater, Florida:

You see where it is on the map, now heres some pictures:

Moderator cut: copyright violation

http://www.floridafishinginfo.net/cl..._florida_2.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2410/...a89d7217_b.jpg

Last edited by Marka; 10-26-2013 at 02:42 AM..

Old 06-15-2010, 07:49 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
The lakes may be great but I don't see Duluth and Rochester being on the same "coast."

Old 06-15-2010, 07:57 PM

307 posts, read 802,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Interesting that neither of you was brave enough to take the picture challenge. You were even challenged to do so, but didn't. The only thing one can surmise is that you were afraid you couldn't tell the difference.
Who cares? I think the "picture test" is beside the point. Nobody ever said lakes can't look like oceans. Nobody said lakes aren't good. We're just saying they aren't a coast .

Old 06-15-2010, 08:04 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcintyre1s View Post
Who cares? I think the "picture test" is beside the point. Nobody ever said lakes can't look like oceans. Nobody said lakes aren't good. We're just saying they aren't a coast .
First of all, I wasn't speaking of you. Secondly, the most outspoken opponents to the Great Lakes being called the Third Coast did not put their money where their mouths were. The reason is obvious.

All in all, it really doesn't matter what you, or I, or anybody else thinks. It is what it is - some people call the Gulf Coast the Third Coast and some call the Great Lakes the Third Coast. My preference is the Great Lakes - yours is not - it's all a matter of preference. Right now, the Gulf Coast is in a bad way, and I hope this can be rectified before too more damage is done.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:11 PM

307 posts, read 802,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
First of all, I wasn't speaking of you. Secondly, the most outspoken opponents to the Great Lakes being called the Third Coast did not put their money where their mouths were. The reason is obvious.

All in all, it really doesn't matter what you, or I, or anybody else thinks. It is what it is - some people call the Gulf Coast the Third Coast and some call the Great Lakes the Third Coast. My preference is the Great Lakes - yours is not - it's all a matter of preference. Right now, the Gulf Coast is in a bad way, and I hope this can be rectified before too more damage is done.
Didn't say you were. I WAS talking to you, though. I could care less, I think "3rd Coast" sounds bad anyway. "We aren't as important as the East or West Coast, but don't you dare say we aren't 3rd best!"

Old 06-15-2010, 08:21 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
How the hell is this a coast????

I don't care how it looks from street level, but the point still stands. The Great Lakes are what they are....LAKES.

I don't care if you guys refer to it as the 3rd Coast, but call it what it is and stop making it out to be something it's not. It's an area of multiple large lakes that are all surrounded by land.
Nobody is really referring the Great Lakes as the 3rd Coast. I live on the shores of Lake Superior and I have never heard the term 'coast' in reference to the giant lake. I'm sure the same is for Milwaukee, Chicago, Buffalo, Detroit, Cleveland...

What I don't get is this crazy complex that people keep carrying around like, "It's just a lake" and "That's exactly what they are, a lake", like there is something disgustingly wrong with a 'lake'.

I think it's safe to say that the US has an East Coast, West Coast, Gulf Coast. The Rocky Mountains. The Appalachian Mountains. The Grand Canyon. The Great Lakes. (dont see any 3rd coast in there)
Attached Thumbnails
Continental United States' 3rd Coast-sd.jpg   Continental United States' 3rd Coast-we.jpg  

Old 06-15-2010, 08:30 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
The Gulf COAST is already the third COAST, I don't see an argument here.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:43 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
How the hell is this a coast????

I don't care how it looks from street level, but the point still stands. The Great Lakes are what they are....LAKES.

I don't care if you guys refer to it as the 3rd Coast, but call it what it is and stop making it out to be something it's not. It's an area of multiple large lakes that are all surrounded by land.
Sea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City