Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place is better?
Atlanta 152 53.52%
New Orleans 132 46.48%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:39 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times

Advertisements

Atlanta all day for me. The King of the South and great higher ed, plus the big city.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:42 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
Mainly exaggerated? Wow, just like how your fellow NO'er said the following:

"On any given sunday I can walk outside and here drums brass bands and 100,000 people in the street in costume dancing the second line in New Orleans"

100,000 people in a second line, on any given day out of the year??

And you know the stuff I speak of is true, the black community in New Orleans is mostly about hanging on the corner and selling dope. The upper middle class part of the black community is tiny even still on a per capita rate compared to Atlanta. And please dont sit here and act like the paper bag test doesnt still exist in New Orleans. I have seen it first hand down there.
I never addressed him, so what he said is irrelevent to me addressing you. The only time you will see numbers that large at a second line is Super Sunday and that's quite a stretch. It isn't impossible to see 100's though and when did he/she claim to be my fellow New Orleaninan?

Atlanta has been attracting blacks for how long now in how many numbers? what do you expect? Also you do realize there is more to Greater New Orleans than New Orleans itself right? Produce the stats for blacks social class/status for the entire New Orleans metro.

Same-race racism is an issue between blacks everywhere. It exists here and it exists in Atlanta, don't sit here and act like it's so much worse here. If you're going to generalize the majority of the black population in New Orleans, let's do the same for Atlanta. While we're at it take a trip to the Georgia forum and count the threads about crime and drugs, etc. (most of it is probably exaggerated, but you get the idea).

Old 06-09-2010, 12:07 PM

364 posts, read 717,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I never addressed him, so what he said is irrelevent to me addressing you. The only time you will see numbers that large at a second line is Super Sunday and that's quite a stretch. It isn't impossible to see 100's though and when did he/she claim to be my fellow New Orleaninan?

Atlanta has been attracting blacks for how long now in how many numbers? what do you expect? Also you do realize there is more to Greater New Orleans than New Orleans itself right? Produce the stats for blacks social class/status for the entire New Orleans metro.

Same-race racism is an issue between blacks everywhere. It exists here and it exists in Atlanta, don't sit here and act like it's so much worse here. If you're going to generalize the majority of the black population in New Orleans, let's do the same for Atlanta. While we're at it take a trip to the Georgia forum and count the threads about crime and drugs, etc. (most of it is probably exaggerated, but you get the idea).

Well seeing as how his screen name is "NewOrleansTopics" I would say it's a safe bet that he is from New Orleans...lol.
And yes same race-racism is a problem everywhere, but New Orleans is one of the few places where people will still overtly shun you because of your skin being to dark or hair to kinky. If you dont believe me just go sit in a class room at St. Rita's for a day or two, and Im not talking about how the kids treat each other, Im talking about how the staff treats the kids. My dad is from the midwest, but my families ancestral home is New Orleans, and the only time I see or hear color or "good hair" obsessed comments is in New Orleans. And yes Atlanta has it's fair share of problems with crime and drugs, but to even begin to put the crime in Atlanta in the same boat as New Orleans is a dis-service to the multitudes of people in New Orleans who take pride in thier city being the "murder capitol". Only in New Orleans do people wear the "hey Im from the murder cappy" badge on thier arm with pride. Ive actually heard comments from people from New Orleans like "Atlanta is to soft, yall only have 1 murder a night on the news"....

Old 06-09-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Well seeing as how his screen name is "NewOrleansTopics" I would say it's a safe bet that he is from New Orleans...lol.
My mistake. I thought you were referring to the poster above me.

Quote:
And yes same race-racism is a problem everywhere, but New Orleans is one of the few places where people will still overtly shun you because of your skin being to dark or hair to kinky. If you dont believe me just go sit in a class room at St. Rita's for a day or two, and Im not talking about how the kids treat each other, Im talking about how the staff treats the kids. My dad is from the midwest, but my families ancestral home is New Orleans, and the only time I see or hear color or "good hair" obsessed comments is in New Orleans.
I have one better for you. Come live here for a month or two and see how it really is. Unfortunately people like that do exist, but your claim is exaggerated. Not only that, but I've seen worse in Mississippi and Alabama, and a fair share in Atlanta.

Quote:
And yes Atlanta has it's fair share of problems with crime and drugs, but to even begin to put the crime in Atlanta in the same boat as New Orleans is a dis-service to the multitudes of people in New Orleans who take pride in thier city being the "murder capitol". Only in New Orleans do people wear the "hey Im from the murder cappy" badge on thier arm with pride. Ive actually heard comments from people from New Orleans like "Atlanta is to soft, yall only have 1 murder a night on the news"....
Another opionated generalization. No, actually it's just stupid. 90% of New Orleans crime issue are drug-related murders that occur in the same isolated areas over and over. What's Atlanta's issue? Last time I checked, that was the basis of most black on black crime. You it's really the exact same problem, just different numbers and the fact that Atlanta is much more segregated and spread out than New Orleans just makes it easier to ignore.

It's always key Atlanta posters (and some Texans) that turn a thread upside down. The Atlanta forum is one of the most negative forums on C-D and most of the posters appear to live there. This thread was going smoothly at first.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:02 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
^^What y'all are referring to is not same race racism but colorism. Same race racism would be someone discriminating against someone of their own race because of that same race. For lack of a better example, think Uncle Ruckus from Boondocks comic strip/animated tv show. Colorism is discrimination based on the lightness or darkness of skin. Just wanted to clear that up.

But back on topic, is NOLA still doing the street car thing?

Old 06-09-2010, 01:09 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
On another note, I've never seen as many "outsiders" in Oakwood Mall as I did the last time I was there. I know the mall closed for a while because of Katrina, but when it reopened, I was like "what the hell"? "Tourists aren't supposed to be way over here" I said to myself-lol

Old 06-09-2010, 01:12 PM

364 posts, read 717,310 times
Quote:

Another opionated generalization. No, actually it's just stupid. 90% of New Orleans crime issue are drug-related murders that occur in the same isolated areas over and over. What's Atlanta's issue? Last time I checked, that was the basis of most black on black crime. You it's really the exact same problem, just different numbers and the fact that Atlanta is much more segregated and spread out than New Orleans just makes it easier to ignore.

It's always key Atlanta posters (and some Texans) that turn a thread upside down. The Atlanta forum is one of the most negative forums on C-D and most of the posters appear to live there. This thread was going smoothly at first.
Atlanta more spread out??? No actually I was using the city limits of Atlanta which are quite smaller than New Orleans.

Atlanta land area-132.4 sq mi

New Orleans land area-350.2 square miles

So when you said that Atlanta is much more spread out than New Orleans was that an "opionated generalization", or just an outright lie?
And even though New Orleans has almost 200,000 less people than the city of Atlanta, the murder rate is twice, almost three times what it is in Atlanta (Atlanta had 80 murders in 2009 while New Orleans had almost 180) and all the while Atlanta's black community still has the highest % in the country of blacks with college degrees, and a much higher median household income for blacks as well. But your right, thats just another generalization I just made up....lol

Old 06-09-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
^^What y'all are referring to is not same race racism but colorism. Same race racism would be someone discriminating against someone of their own race because of that same race. For lack of a better example, think Uncle Ruckus from Boondocks comic strip/animated tv show. Colorism is discrimination based on the lightness or darkness of skin. Just wanted to clear that up.

But back on topic, is NOLA still doing the street car thing?
You can argue that colorism is a form racism though (lol that's another thread, but who cares)
RTA is actually getting ready to expand the street car system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMAZBOI4U View Post
On another note, I've never seen as many "outsiders" in Oakwood Mall as I did the last time I was there. I know the mall closed for a while because of Katrina, but when it reopened, I was like "what the hell"? "Tourists aren't supposed to be way over here" I said to myself-lol
Wow, I haven't been over there in a while. Interesting.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 06-09-2010 at 01:27 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Atlanta more spread out??? No actually I was using the city limits of Atlanta which are quite smaller than New Orleans.

Atlanta land area-132.4 sq mi

New Orleans land area-350.2 square miles

So when you said that Atlanta is much more spread out than New Orleans was that an opionated generalization, or just an outright lie?
And even though New Orleans has almost 200,000 less people than the city of Atlanta, the murder rate is twice, almost three what it is in Atlanta, and all the while Atlanta's black community still has the highest % in the country of blacks with college degrees, and a much higher median household income for blacks as well. But your right, thats just another
"opionated generalization".
I'm talking in terms of development and you do know that 3/4 of that 350 sq mi is water right? Let's compare zip code densities between New Orleans and Atlanta. Anybody that has been to either city can tell you that NOLA is definitely compacted compared to ATL. NOLA's suburbs even have higher avg. densities than the city of Atlanta so... If the suburbs are packed that tight on average, doesn't that insist that the actual inhabited parts of the city proper are even denser?

Old 06-09-2010, 01:23 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,710 times
Quote:
What do you know about any of this? Apparently nothing. The economy of NOLA revolves around Oil, Shipping, and Tourism. The first two are pretty MAJOR believe it or not. Educational opporunities? Tulane, Loyola, Xavier, Dillard, LSUHSC, UNO, SUNO? Am I missing something? That's including two of the top HBCU's. Not too mention NOLA is leading in the Charter school trend and although it's know for it's bad Public schools, it also has some of the best mixed in. Add in the large private school culture here. Transportation?, the only advantage Atlanta has over New Orleans in the category are the MARTA heavy rail and Hartsfield-Jackson. On that note flights run from MSY to IAH/HOU hourly so that's only adding an extra 30/45 minutes to travel time. Atlanta kills New Orleans in shopping, of course.

The hurricane was a set back, but it hasn't stopped anything. The oil spill, we'll see what happens.

If you think Atlanta is better, that's cool as it's your opinion. But don't make your case with some half-assed facts #failure. You could have at least said 'Atlanta is better because I like Atlanta or something.' That would have at least looked more credible.

There are more educational opprotunities and better schools here In Atlanta... Thats a fact. There are more people in Atlanta that hold degrees than N.O thats fact. None of the schools in N.O are top HBCUs All of Atlantas HBCUs beat out N.O in school rankings With Spealman being Number 1.. Thats why I said for educational opprotunities Atlanta sweeps.. ANd with with Transportation thats enough to sweep N.O.. LIke I said before Partying festivals and Food Are the only things. Sorry Westbanknola. N.O can not compete with Atlanta. It will sweep the floor in almost every catergory. YOu guys stick to what your good at Tourism food super bowls essence and jazz festivals etc.. Leave everything else to Atlanta...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City