Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place is better?
Atlanta 152 53.52%
New Orleans 132 46.48%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 03:33 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post

I don't know, at least 40% of the city depends on public transportation.
If you are talking about the percentage of people who don't own a car, and thus would have to rely on public transportation, for New Orleans it was 27.5% in the 2000 census not 40%. For Atlanta it was 23.58%. Since in 2000 the populations of both cities were pretty much the same with New Orleans being slightly larger then, that's not a huge difference. We're only talking 3 or 4 thousand people.

BUT

A huge light bulb went off in my head and realized that probably pre-Katrina, public transportation usage was much higher in New Orleans and it is understandable that now it is so low given what's happened. Then again, this is about this is also about the here and now, not what used to be.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:40 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
If you are talking about the percentage of people who don't own a car, and thus would have to rely on public transportation, for New Orleans it was 27.5% in the 2000 census not 40%. For Atlanta it was 23.58%. Since in 2000 the populations of both cities were pretty much the same with New Orleans being slightly larger then, that's not a huge difference. We're only talking 3 or 4 thousand people.

BUT

A huge light bulb went off in my head and realized that probably pre-Katrina, public transportation usage was much higher in New Orleans and it is understandable that now it is so low given what's happened. Then again, this is about this is also about the here and now, not what used to be.
Ok, my bad. I got those mixed up. Still, they are closer than I would think for 2000.
What are the plans with the Beltline (I think that's it)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
OMG...How in the world do 400 and 675 line up when one starts on the north side of the city and the other starts like 5 miles south of the city?? And one is a state toll road (400) and the other is apart of the federal interstate system (675). What are you talking about?
I'm talking about the original freeway plan for Atlanta. Learn your city's history. You can nearly draw a straight line from 675 at 285 to 400 at 85.
It's no coincidence, Google It. Notice how you can draw a line from Langford Pkwy to the curve in I-20 and from that Stone Mountain freeway to the Freedom Pkwy interchange on the connector.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 06-09-2010 at 03:50 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 04:40 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
New Orleans

Old 06-09-2010, 10:35 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
Neither!

Old 06-12-2010, 01:08 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,020,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
There are more educational opprotunities and better schools here In Atlanta... Thats a fact. There are more people in Atlanta that hold degrees than N.O thats fact. None of the schools in N.O are top HBCUs All of Atlantas HBCUs beat out N.O in school rankings With Spealman being Number 1.. Thats why I said for educational opprotunities Atlanta sweeps.. ANd with with Transportation thats enough to sweep N.O.. LIke I said before Partying festivals and Food Are the only things. Sorry Westbanknola. N.O can not compete with Atlanta. It will sweep the floor in almost every catergory. YOu guys stick to what your good at Tourism food super bowls essence and jazz festivals etc.. Leave everything else to Atlanta...
Atlanta=Woooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Old 06-12-2010, 01:39 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Atlanta=Woooooooooooooooooooooooooo
lol
Don't get me wrong, Atlanta is a hell of a city, but I hate when people post crap as if they're an expert on a topic and don't **** about it.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:39 AM

5 posts, read 18,259 times
Default Nola

I lived my entire live in NOLA, was raised there, went to school there and grew up there. I now live in Atlanta. I hate it! I moved here upon graduating college. Sorry, but NOLA takes the lead here people. Atlanta just sucks overall. There is no culture here like new orleans. The food is lame. I'm sorry but its pretty hard to beat the good food you get in NOLA. The people here are rude, mostly b/c they spend most of their time sitting in traffic b/c there are too many people living here. And no one is from here. In the nine years I've lived here, I think I've met 5 or 6 people that are actually from GA. Most all are transplants or yankees. So any southern hospitality in Atl is rarely ever seen. People in NOLA would offer a complete stranger a poboy, a shirt of their backs, a place to stay if needed. But Atl folks, ha! no way. They would drive by and look at you if you were in trouble! Oh, the traffic here! I've actually never seen more rude and horribly bad drivers in my life until I moved here. It makes it hard to go anywhere b/c everything you do here revolves around rush hour traffic. Everything! And Marta is a joke. Everytime I get on it it breaks down or I have to wait 40 min for the next train. Atl does have some pretty cool bars and nightlife, but it doesn't compare to NOLA at all. Just walking around the quarter listening to the music and smelling the food is what its all about. I mean, there's no place in Atl where you can walk around w/ a cold beer and enjoy good people and great food. (well, not legally) But there is just no comparison between the 2 cities at all. One is fun, has great people, excellent food, and awesome nightlife. The other is over populated w/ rude people, bad drivers, transplants, and wishing it had half the class and southern charm New Orleans does. We have a bumper sticker in NOLA that says: New Orleans, proud to call it home. I couldn't have put it better myself!

Old 06-14-2010, 10:24 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU5150 View Post
I lived my entire live in NOLA, was raised there, went to school there and grew up there. I now live in Atlanta. I hate it! I moved here upon graduating college. Sorry, but NOLA takes the lead here people. Atlanta just sucks overall. There is no culture here like new orleans. The food is lame. I'm sorry but its pretty hard to beat the good food you get in NOLA. The people here are rude, mostly b/c they spend most of their time sitting in traffic b/c there are too many people living here. And no one is from here. In the nine years I've lived here, I think I've met 5 or 6 people that are actually from GA. Most all are transplants or yankees. So any southern hospitality in Atl is rarely ever seen. People in NOLA would offer a complete stranger a poboy, a shirt of their backs, a place to stay if needed. But Atl folks, ha! no way. They would drive by and look at you if you were in trouble! Oh, the traffic here! I've actually never seen more rude and horribly bad drivers in my life until I moved here. It makes it hard to go anywhere b/c everything you do here revolves around rush hour traffic. Everything! And Marta is a joke. Everytime I get on it it breaks down or I have to wait 40 min for the next train. Atl does have some pretty cool bars and nightlife, but it doesn't compare to NOLA at all. Just walking around the quarter listening to the music and smelling the food is what its all about. I mean, there's no place in Atl where you can walk around w/ a cold beer and enjoy good people and great food. (well, not legally) But there is just no comparison between the 2 cities at all. One is fun, has great people, excellent food, and awesome nightlife. The other is over populated w/ rude people, bad drivers, transplants, and wishing it had half the class and southern charm New Orleans does. We have a bumper sticker in NOLA that says: New Orleans, proud to call it home. I couldn't have put it better myself!
While some of this is true, a lot of it is also GRAVELY exaggerated.

That being said, I’ve highlighted the things that I agree with in green and red for "foolishness".

I do agree that New Orleans has a lot more culture/flavor than Atlanta, but you're about the only person I've ever come across who's moved from New Orleans to Atlanta and didn't like Atlanta better. Atlanta is more upscale with a much stronger economy than New Orleans, but I love both cities for different reasons.

To address your statement about Atlanta southern hospitality, I caught a flight from Minneapolis to Atlanta about 12 years ago and my friend mistakenly parked in a tow away zone at the ATL airport. To make a long story short, his car was towed while waiting on me. We ended up catching a cab where his car was being held, but they were closed by this time. One of the nicest white ladies (not that it’s relevant, but my friend and I are both black which sure as hell makes a difference to me and a lot of others) saw us walking around all distraught and felt sorry enough to offer us her couch to sleep on until we could get his car the next day. Talk about the kindness of strangers; I don't even know if I would've done that myself, but I'll NEVER forget it.

I said all this to say, there’s good people EVERYWHERE! Maybe not as many kindhearted people as there are in New Orleans per capita, but there are some really nice people out there- even in Atlanta-lol.

I really don't really like comparisons like this, not very fair to me.

Last edited by NorthDeKalb; 06-14-2010 at 11:49 AM..

Old 06-14-2010, 10:25 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU5150 View Post
This is what I’m taking about bashing, could of said I like New Orleans it’s were I was raised, I’m home sick, and Atlanta is not my cup of tea. But this is a sum of the post. The people here are rude, ) everything you do here revolves around rush hour traffic. Everything. ) Atlanta wishing it had half the class and southern charm New Orleans does. ) and it sux like this and it sux like this and it sux like this, and it sux like this.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:38 AM

364 posts, read 717,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post

I'm talking about the original freeway plan for Atlanta. Learn your city's history. You can nearly draw a straight line from 675 at 285 to 400 at 85.
It's no coincidence, Google It. Notice how you can draw a line from Langford Pkwy to the curve in I-20 and from that Stone Mountain freeway to the Freedom Pkwy interchange on the connector.

LOL @ learn your city's history.
And what is this straight line your speaking of? I would hardly call 400 off of I-85 in Buckhead a straight line with I-285 and I-675 in Forest Park. If your using lines like that let me go ahead and say that Atlanta is direct straight line up to Chicago....lol. Or better yet, New Orleans with Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City