Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 11:26 AM

564 posts, read 1,042,980 times

Advertisements

I lived in the Cleveland area from about 1999 to 2002 (first in North Olmsted, then Westlake). I moved there to be near some friends after losing my parents in Florida since I had no other family there. I left Ohio because of the weather. I had high hopes for NC but I just can't fit in here. Part of it is because I'm a middle-aged female by myself, and this area is very family-oriented. Also, even though I'm originally from Miami, I'm not a "southerner," and the culture is very different here. What I really miss in Ohio are the people. Those I met were so much more sincere and welcoming. I liked the church I attended, and I loved being able to get my ethnic background foods there (I cannot here in NC). So, now I'm thinking that even though the weather is bitter cold for me in the winter, hearts are a whole lot warmer in Ohio.

But...what's it like now in terms of the economy, jobs, etc? I used to work on contractual office/marketing jobs for a staffing agency when I lived in Ohio and I have taught in adult education off and on too, teaching English as a Second Language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 11:01 AM

101 posts, read 289,159 times
Don't mean to disappoint you but I would not go back to Cleveland. In 2002 when you were in Cleveland, life was totally different. So many parts of Cleveland now look deserted. It looks awful in Cleveland. I am born and raised in Cleveland and even though you have family and friends it's not necessarily a good place to be right now, especially job wise. There are teachers that get laid off all the time even in the suburbs. Looking for a good place to stay try moving in maybe Texas. They have a huge singles population and also offers employment. I love Cleveland to but trust me when I say it's not the same.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:08 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
Kyla, please elaborate on how life was "totally different" here in Cleveland 8 years ago. It sounds to me like you're either very young or embittered by the results of your own lifestyle choices. If anything, there has been a gradual uptick in the area over the past decade. There has been a good amount of sustainable development and the area, in general, is stable. You can't really count a lot of what has happened since the beginning of the economic meltdown in 2008. If you do, I'd hate to rain on your parade but that pinch is being felt much harder in the so-called "boom areas" which you seem so enamored with.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:22 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,285,962 times
For me: 2010 > 2002.

I thought 2002 sucked! (other than Browns playoffs!)

Old 06-28-2010, 12:28 PM

I agree. IMO, downtown alone has improved dramatically in just that very short period of time...and it has nothing to do with LeBron James either.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:14 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Please also elaborate on specifically what parts of Cleveland look deserted?
Certainly not my neighborhood in Cleveland. Certainly not Ohio City: It was BOOMING this weekend around the Market.
Downtown was also pretty crowded when my wife and I went to see 'Under the Sea' at the Omnimax theater on Saturday.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:21 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,285,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
I lived in the Cleveland area from about 1999 to 2002 (first in North Olmsted, then Westlake). I moved there to be near some friends after losing my parents in Florida since I had no other family there. I left Ohio because of the weather. I had high hopes for NC but I just can't fit in here. Part of it is because I'm a middle-aged female by myself, and this area is very family-oriented. Also, even though I'm originally from Miami, I'm not a "southerner," and the culture is very different here. What I really miss in Ohio are the people. Those I met were so much more sincere and welcoming. I liked the church I attended, and I loved being able to get my ethnic background foods there (I cannot here in NC). So, now I'm thinking that even though the weather is bitter cold for me in the winter, hearts are a whole lot warmer in Ohio.

But...what's it like now in terms of the economy, jobs, etc? I used to work on contractual office/marketing jobs for a staffing agency when I lived in Ohio and I have taught in adult education off and on too, teaching English as a Second Language.
Back to the original poster..

I think you should follow your instinct, or you'll regret it. There are plenty of jobs up here...Cleveland Unemployment is at around 8.7% right now, which is lower than most of the country.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:03 PM

302 posts, read 1,101,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Back to the original poster..

I think you should follow your instinct, or you'll regret it. There are plenty of jobs up here...Cleveland Unemployment is at around 8.7% right now, which is lower than most of the country.
Tell that to all the college graduates like myself who can't get jobs in Cleveland/Ohio, or even the nation in general. People with both hard and soft degrees are hurting. Companies are playing it safe and not hiring the grads in big numbers. Heck, even at Mcdonalds they've hired unemployed 40 somethings over the usual high school/college kids.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:18 PM

Yes, but I think you have failed to see his point. Things are tough all over, not just in Cleveland as so many would have you think. This is no different than what happened 15-20 years ago. The people being hired are the ones with degrees AND experience. As the economic conditions improve, recent graduates will follow suit. Since a lot of degreed, experienced people were layed off in 2008-2009, they will ulitmately be hired back with priority if they are looking for a job. Much of it will also depend upon what the degree is in as well. The more medical or technical you are, the better chance you have.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:12 PM

564 posts, read 1,042,980 times
The problem with the unemployment rates being lower anywhere is that they're including people now in the workforce who are just involved with the U.S. Census, from what I've heard. Is that true? Anyway, I have only been doing part-time work doing demos, doing data entry, and substituting for ESL teachers at the college. I am one of those over-40 people, so I guess it'll be just about the same in Cleveland if I return. However, I guess being it's a bigger city, I can enlist with staffing agencies I worked for there and get started that way.

I guess like anywhere else, the key will be to get involved. At least there (I lived in North Olmsted and then Westlake), I was a member of a parish where I felt like I belonged. As a church choir member, I remember we used to go out to breakfast together on Sundays, and even though that sounds like a small thing, for someone alone like me, I felt so welcome there. I don't feel welcome here. The "southern hospitality" is just surface friendliness for the most part, not that there aren't some nice people; there are, but not a lot of singles in my age bracket. I remember University Circle, a place it would be nice to volunteer too and meet people. Oh, and there it is possible to pick up European foods at the supermarkets, something not possible here. In Cleveland I'd be able to buy poppyseed and nut rolls not just at West Side Market, but in the Giant Eagle. It's a whole different life.

I guess I need to fly up and visit some friends and see how it all feels again. I have to make a decision about my lease here too and may just go month to month for a few months till I've been back and spent a little time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland