Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 07:48 PM

708 posts, read 1,815,748 times

Advertisements

I think back to the times when I was here in the past and left for ten and a half years, driving to different places and seeing all the changes....A lot of places have closed, but a lot of restructure has been done...Plus of lot more friendly people....I can't think of a better place to be...People have actually come to me and ask why have I come back to Cleveland after being out west...I told them the same thing I have said on this thread...You can talk about your hometown and leave for a period of time. But the majority of the people who leave always end up coming back home after so long because its ALWAYS gonna be something or someone,(Family) that will be missed...The grass is NOT always greener on the other side... Cleveland has a little of something for everyone..That's that beauty of this city...My kids and husband love it here...Its not too big and its definately not too small....What say you all????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 04:18 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Hey Lisa! Missed you.

Glad you are back in Cleveland and enjoying it. Sorry I haven't responded back in a while, my work schedule has been insanely busy, and I had to work in St. Louis and Pittsburgh the last two months. But I am glad to be back in Cleveland. More to do here than the other cities. Hope you are still active on the forum.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Hey Lisa! Missed you.

Glad you are back in Cleveland and enjoying it. Sorry I haven't responded back in a while, my work schedule has been insanely busy, and I had to work in St. Louis and Pittsburgh the last two months. But I am glad to be back in Cleveland. More to do here than the other cities. Hope you are still active on the forum.

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!! I'm sooo freakin glad to hear from you my friend....I was just thinking what the heck happened to you...How was St Louis and Pittsburg?????

Old 06-16-2011, 04:53 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa12230 View Post
I think back to the times when I was here in the past and left for ten and a half years, driving to different places and seeing all the changes....A lot of places have closed, but a lot of restructure has been done...Plus of lot more friendly people....I can't think of a better place to be...People have actually come to me and ask why have I come back to Cleveland after being out west...I told them the same thing I have said on this thread...You can talk about your hometown and leave for a period of time. But the majority of the people who leave always end up coming back home after so long because its ALWAYS gonna be something or someone,(Family) that will be missed...The grass is NOT always greener on the other side... Cleveland has a little of something for everyone..That's that beauty of this city...My kids and husband love it here...Its not too big and its definately not too small....What say you all????????
Which side are you on? I haven't found the inner-ring East side suburbs to be that impressive. It seems like everything is so old and the infrastructure is not up to speed. I wouldn't say it's that bad, but I have trouble seeing what's so great about it as compared to anywhere else.

What exactly do you like so much about this area?

Old 06-16-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Which side are you on? I haven't found the inner-ring East side suburbs to be that impressive. It seems like everything is so old and the infrastructure is not up to speed. I wouldn't say it's that bad, but I have trouble seeing what's so great about it as compared to anywhere else.

Good question!! First of all, we're in the Warrensville/Shaker area, basically where I grew up....People have come up to me and have asked why did I come back to cleveland.....I have told them the same thing Ive said on this site....Cleveland is unique in it's own way...I have lived on the West coast (California, Idaho, Washington state), and I have traveled all the way to the coast of Maine...Cleveland is not too big and its not too small...You can ALWAYS find something to do here that is inexpensive and family oriented..Downtown is just amazing to me....I had to leave in order to appreciate the people, the culture, and the place....After being away for 10 and a half years, and finding the people in those other places not friendly, the food not good, and some of the places no big deal, I have grown to love and appreciate Cleveland...I want my husband and kids to see this town and get involved with it..so far, they have fallen in love with it......We went to the Botanicle Gardens...Next up, the Science Center, lol..After that Probably Cedar Point...When I took the kids Downtown they were sooo excitied, they almost screamed, lol....Its a lot to appreciate about this town....You just gotta give it a chance...

Old 06-16-2011, 07:03 PM

261 posts, read 588,899 times
Quote:

I'm on the east side too, which parts of the east side are unimpressive to you?Most of the time when people talk about the east side they're mostly talking about the Heights areas (Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights, University Heights, a little South Euclid), completely different from the other east side inner-rings like Maple, Garfield, Euclid, etc. I know a lot of people love the Heights areas specifically because of the age and charm, the architecture and the walkability and development along rail lines really stopped being built into towns after the 50's, these cities weren't built around cars which are different than most suburbs today. Plus the east side inner-rings have local dining and retail scenes that most people find irreplaceable by the chain stores that dominate further out suburbs.

They're inner ring suburbs on the west side too that are great like Lakewood and Rocky River, but everyone loves them for mostly the same reason that they love the Heights on the east side (walkability, local culture, architecture) .

This is just my usual observation of most people's attraction to the area.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioDominicana View Post
I'm on the east side too, which parts of the east side are unimpressive to you?Most of the time when people talk about the east side they're mostly talking about the Heights areas (Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights, University Heights, a little South Euclid), completely different from the other east side inner-rings like Maple, Garfield, Euclid, etc. I know a lot of people love the Heights areas specifically because of the age and charm, the architecture and the walkability and development along rail lines really stopped being built into towns after the 50's, these cities weren't built around cars which are different than most suburbs today. Plus the east side inner-rings have local dining and retail scenes that most people find irreplaceable by the chain stores that dominate further out suburbs.

They're inner ring suburbs on the west side too that are great like Lakewood and Rocky River, but everyone loves them for mostly the same reason that they love the Heights on the east side (walkability, local culture, architecture) .

another thing is this town is a hub for education and medicine....In the small town of washington state and parts of Idaho, they don't even have trade schools, or I should say they have them, but you have to travel 2 and half hours to get them...That was crazy!!!! I know Cleveland has its share of unemployment, but at least you can try to get a better education or trade and get a better job...Out there, you HAD to go to either a 2 year college or a 4 year college and move out of state somewhere to get a decent job.....That alone made me appreciate cleveland more, lololol.....

Old 06-17-2011, 06:46 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioDominicana View Post

I was referring mainly to the Heights areas, as you noted. I guess my preference is more the generic chain type suburbia, sometimes referred to as exurbs. I'm used to more spacious areas, more big box retail and chain dining, newer homes, newer malls and buildings, easier parking, etc. In this light, the Heights areas are different when compared to what I have gotten accustomed to.

Do you have any advice for transplants who are trying to meet new people? There's always work, but it might be hard for me to meet people outside the office as I don't know many people in the area. I'm not that much into the bar/club scene, but realize that's one major social outlet (so I don't mind doing it when the time is right).

Old 06-17-2011, 08:47 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,885 times
Quote:
I was referring mainly to the Heights areas, as you noted. I guess my preference is more the generic chain type suburbia, sometimes referred to as exurbs. I'm used to more spacious areas, more big box retail and chain dining, newer homes, newer malls and buildings, easier parking, etc. In this light, the Heights areas are different when compared to what I have gotten accustomed to.
LOL, you are definitely in the minority on this website then. But that's good, a little diversity in opinion is nice.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:13 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
LOL, you are definitely in the minority on this website then. But that's good, a little diversity in opinion is nice.
I was thinking the same thing. I came from the farms of Indiana, and I far more prefer the density that the Cleveland area offers, especially compared to cities in Indiana like Indianapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland