Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2013, 11:03 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,534,789 times

Advertisements

Even cities like Eastlake which were one nice areas 15 years ago have seen home prices drop. Many people that lived there are moving out around the vine st area because their property is declining. Had nothing to do with people leaving eastlake to be closer to Cleveland lol, it has to do with people with arrest records moving into Eastlake from neighboring cities. Compare % of North high students that scored 27+ on their ACT test in 1997 to 2013. Hell, compare the ave GPA of the graduating classes. I know plenty of people that use to live in the neighborhoods off vine st move to the westside or to places like Willoughby hills.

Look at a city like Strongsville. Yeah they've got those trashy apartments behind the mad cactus (read the reviews compared to apartments south of Albion rd) and the cheap hotels just off pearl rd next to wall mart but it's a small concentrated area of maybe 5% of the land in Strongsville where this is. The other 95% won't contain any of this riff raff that you'd see on a site like peopleofwalmart.com lol! And to top it off, I'd venture to say that 75% of those in this small area have no arrest record so its not even that bad. This is an example of a city that won't allow it's mall to be closed down or have people shot at 4th of July fireworks. They know how to contain whatever miniscule threat there is between the "rougher" Albion rd and Lucerne Dr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 03:44 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someCLEdude View Post
Oh yeah?

Yeah that's just regional but...the south isn't quite as urbanized as the north
The South has more land. On the other hand, Atlanta is urban, as well as Richmond, and Miami. Don't forget Birmingham. It really depends on the city. The South has larger counties, Virginia in particular has independent cities, so the city and the county is the same land.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:30 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,859,101 times
I own a house in Euclid. Its value has gone up around 25 percent in the past year or two per Zillow. My handyman tells me that people are very slowly moving back, although I am not sure what portion of them are from East Cleveland. I am glad I bought my house in 2010 despite my moving to Seattle that same year. My gut tells me that the whole area from CWRU/Little Italy/East Cleveland/Euclid will boom in the coming years. Faster than most expect.

If I was in Cleveland, I would buy one more house in that ghetto vicinity. At my current location (Bellevue), I can barely afford to buy a toilet, and none are for sale as it is.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:10 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,968,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
I own a house in Euclid. Its value has gone up around 25 percent in the past year or two per Zillow. My handyman tells me that people are very slowly moving back, although I am not sure what portion of them are from East Cleveland. I am glad I bought my house in 2010 despite my moving to Seattle that same year. My gut tells me that the whole area from CWRU/Little Italy/East Cleveland/Euclid will boom in the coming years. Faster than most expect.

If I was in Cleveland, I would buy one more house in that ghetto vicinity. At my current location (Bellevue), I can barely afford to buy a toilet, and none are for sale as it is.
Not the norm for Euclid, that's for damn sure. Do tell.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:01 PM

30 posts, read 73,176 times
White flight is definitely still happening in Cleveland. My grandma moved into a senior citizens apartment building in Euclid in 1989. Back then, Euclid was all white and a great city which was safe to walk on the streets. Back then, there were wealthy white people living in the apartment building, then a large increase in Russian Jewish people. Back then, the building was in amazing condition and looked great. Now, all those rich white people either moved out or died off. The building is in worse condition and needs great remodeling. The building, along with most of Euclid, is all black and not very safe. The only white people still living in the building are the Russian people who haven't moved or died, and no more than 5 apartments of those white seniors that have been there for 20 years (Keep in mind that the building has 11 floors and about 60 apartments per floor. Keep in mind i'm white and i barely feel safe going into that building. The east side of Cleveland is getting blacker and blacker and more unsafer.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:14 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarf View Post
White flight is definitely still happening in Cleveland. My grandma moved into a senior citizens apartment building in Euclid in 1989. Back then, Euclid was all white and a great city which was safe to walk on the streets. Back then, there were wealthy white people living in the apartment building, then a large increase in Russian Jewish people. Back then, the building was in amazing condition and looked great. Now, all those rich white people either moved out or died off. The building is in worse condition and needs great remodeling. The building, along with most of Euclid, is all black and not very safe. The only white people still living in the building are the Russian people who haven't moved or died, and no more than 5 apartments of those white seniors that have been there for 20 years (Keep in mind that the building has 11 floors and about 60 apartments per floor. Keep in mind i'm white and i barely feel safe going into that building. The east side of Cleveland is getting blacker and blacker and more unsafer.
More unsafer.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:15 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,534,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarf View Post
660 apartments which were all white and now 5 of those apartments are white? Lol! Instead of Euclid governing officials saying "oh that's just white flight" maybe they should have said "hmmm, what can be done to stop white flight?!". What an idea!

Horrible governing of a suburb. Honestly, who allows their own mall to be shut down?!?

Old 11-04-2013, 01:35 AM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
Honestly, who allows their own mall to be shut down?!?
Deadmalls.com seems to indicate hundreds of places, apparently. Blaming Euclid for having a closed mall is like blaming literally anywhere in the United States for not having department stores Downtown anymore. I don't know why you would think Euclid has the magic fairy dust to buck a national trend 2 decades in the making.

And yeah yeah South Park Mall blah blah, there are a few places you can point to that are the tip of the sinking ship, but for most malls, even good ones, you can see a visible decrease in tenant quality. It's an outmoded form of shopping; it's no coincidence almost every major shopping center in the last 10-15 years has been something that is not a mall. When a "bad" mall closes, the "bad" shoppers don't disappear, they go on down the road, and the cycle repeats.

It's also a chuckle to suggest that the governments and/or city resolve is what makes the difference between a Euclid and a Strongsville. Sure, there is some play in there, like police enforcement, zoning enforcement, etc. but Strongsville is only the way it is because of A.) its fortunate location, B.) its relatively recent development, and... that's about it. Northeast Ohio has a static/slightly falling population, so each new housing start is an opportunity for someone to trade up to something newer and nicer, and that trend cascades until you get to the weakest link where there is no one left and the housing is demolished, leaving you with Central which is half grass now.

It's why our whole method of development is destroying us. We'll run out of places to run. Euclid was the Strongsville of 40 years ago. It had its moment, and the development kept heading east, and now it's a dump in many parts. Just like Mt Pleasant was the buffer for Shaker. Now Mt. Pleasant is the last link, Shaker is the buffer, etc. etc.

Strongsville. No magic dust. No amazing government plan. If things continue as they are, it will eventually hit Strongsville too and some guy on a message board will be talking about what geniuses they have running York Township out in Medina... or wherever it happens to be at that time.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:01 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,016 times
Very true. The apologists probably get some perverse pleasure from seeing these once great communities decimated as hoodtypes and single ghetto mothers infect the areas. The lunacy excuses of white flight and institutionalized racism excuse the awful, awful, awful behavior of so many of these new residents, all the while they scream racism this and f whitey that. We've essentially incentivized urban terrorism, and have no idea what to do with it.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:53 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
Deadmalls.com seems to indicate hundreds of places, apparently. Blaming Euclid for having a closed mall is like blaming literally anywhere in the United States for not having department stores Downtown anymore. I don't know why you would think Euclid has the magic fairy dust to buck a national trend 2 decades in the making.

And yeah yeah South Park Mall blah blah, there are a few places you can point to that are the tip of the sinking ship, but for most malls, even good ones, you can see a visible decrease in tenant quality. It's an outmoded form of shopping; it's no coincidence almost every major shopping center in the last 10-15 years has been something that is not a mall. When a "bad" mall closes, the "bad" shoppers don't disappear, they go on down the road, and the cycle repeats.

It's also a chuckle to suggest that the governments and/or city resolve is what makes the difference between a Euclid and a Strongsville. Sure, there is some play in there, like police enforcement, zoning enforcement, etc. but Strongsville is only the way it is because of A.) its fortunate location, B.) its relatively recent development, and... that's about it. Northeast Ohio has a static/slightly falling population, so each new housing start is an opportunity for someone to trade up to something newer and nicer, and that trend cascades until you get to the weakest link where there is no one left and the housing is demolished, leaving you with Central which is half grass now.

It's why our whole method of development is destroying us. We'll run out of places to run. Euclid was the Strongsville of 40 years ago. It had its moment, and the development kept heading east, and now it's a dump in many parts. Just like Mt Pleasant was the buffer for Shaker. Now Mt. Pleasant is the last link, Shaker is the buffer, etc. etc.

Strongsville. No magic dust. No amazing government plan. If things continue as they are, it will eventually hit Strongsville too and some guy on a message board will be talking about what geniuses they have running York Township out in Medina... or wherever it happens to be at that time.
I agree with this for the most part, but I do think that the outer-ring suburbs have one weapon: zoning. They can use this to prevent a lot of the high-density residences filled with low-income citizens that have really placed an irreparable burden on many of Cleveland's neighborhoods and inner-ring suburbs. I don't know what the the solution is, but I don't think it's fair that long-time homeowners in many of the communities mentioned in this thread are faced with having to shoulder the effects of this burden themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland