Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 12:50 PM

79 posts, read 235,758 times

Advertisements

Lol I didn't even mention Beachwood and never said Rocky River was hood or ghetto. This all leads back to your apparent illiteracy.

You act as if I glorify/condone crime and the "ghetto", I don't at all. But I have seen it throughout my life. I would be offended about your constant insinuations of me being a criminal if I wasnt already aware of your low intelligence. I don't post here to attain some virtual street cred, I post here to inform people about what's happening and the areas I know. You must come here to make sales..

And yes I am very much from the West side. Mostly because my parents were smart enough to realize that Hough isn't the place to raise children. A smart decision. And implying the West Side doesn't have "hood" spots shows you don't know much about the west side. I admit its not as bad as most the east side but its definitely not all sunshine and daisies either.

Don't be mad at me because I acknowledge problems within my city instead of glazing over them like most of you. According to you and many other CD posters Cleveland has never had any problems and never will. All sugarcoat, no substance.

You seem to spend more time trying to debate truth, than posting anything of real use.

Last edited by ThatGuyFromOC; 04-23-2013 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: Spelling Error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 01:50 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowes80 View Post
Personally, I'm grateful for bjimmy.... I've been going to a gym in Rocky River for months without even packing heat. I must've just gotten lucky...
Oh duuuude.... You've been going to the gym in the Double R???? Alone??? Dude you are lucky. Really gone down hill. I heard parts of Rocky River are gettin up to 9 % black. Demographic shifts, man. It's scary. Stay safe. Definitely buy a gun too.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:53 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,435 times
I say those numbers on Orange are utter bull. I've gone to plenty of school plays and musical performances for my three nieces and nephews, not to mention my own experiences with the school growing up, and it is absolutely transitioning away from a predominantly wealthy, Jewish-majority school to a more diverse, less prestigious one. It's not as polarized as Shaker and not declining as rapidly as Brush, but the school is changing and the climate and test scores are starting to reflect that.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:58 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyFromOC View Post
Lol I didn't even mention Beachwood and never said Rocky River was hood or ghetto. This all leads back to your apparent illiteracy.

You act as if I glorify/condone crime and the "ghetto", I don't at all. But I have seen it throughout my life. I would be offended about your constant insinuations of me being a criminal if I wasnt already aware of your low intelligence. I don't post here to attain some virtual street cred, I post here to inform people about what's happening and the areas I know. You must come here to make sales..

And yes I am very much from the West side. Mostly because my parents were smart enough to realize that Hough isn't the place to raise children. A smart decision. And implying the West Side doesn't have "hood" spots shows you don't know much about the west side. I admit its not as bad as most the east side but its definitely not all sunshine and daisies either.

Don't be mad at me because I acknowledge problems within my city instead of glazing over them like most of you. According to you and many other CD posters Cleveland has never had any problems and never will. All sugarcoat, no substance.

You seem to spend more time trying to debate truth, than posting anything of real use.
If you bothered to read any of these other threads with more useful information than talking about whatever nonsense it is you talk about, you would see a lot of examples of me being critical. I routinely question the issues of gentrification in Ohio City, Tremont, etc. I criticize public transit. I criticize native's attitudes. But I guess it's easier to just make things up about me instead of reading. God forbid you read! You'd lose all your street cred. I am not always too popular on here with some of the things I say and have gotten in some arguments. Difference is, I at least respect most of the other posters I've argued with. No, I just don't stand for BS that you spew. No it's not truth. You're not "fighting the good fight," you're not somehow standing up to authority or anything even .25% as romantic as any of those notions. You spew BS. That simple.

Have you read all 1,036 of my posts?

Old 04-23-2013, 03:24 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
What magical property does Rocky River have that stops it from ever becoming run down and or dangerous in the future? It doesn't have one because there isn't one. It can happen anywhere.
Although it certainly "can" happen anywhere, it is currently not happening in Rocky River. And the only "evidence" to the contrary that has been offered in this thread are the CMHA projects in Riverside Park, which is miles away from the Rocky River border.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
ohhhhhhhhh damn dude Beachwood! You know, they're startin to call it the 'Wood now.
No, that's Lakewood.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
My AMP leader told me the nickname "The Rock" stemmed from its location on Rocky River Drive, it's proximity to the city of Rocky River (less than 10 minutes) and a gang that formed there that was calling themselves The Rock Boys at the time.
Proximity to the city of Rocky River? Rocky River is miles away from there. To get to Rocky River from there you have to travel several miles north along Rocky River Drive which later changes its name to Riverside Drive (in Lakewood), then turn west at some point and cross a bridge.

If you want to talk "proximity", the Riverside Park projects are much closer to Fairview Park and Lakewood than they are to Rocky River.

Quote:
I'm assuming the MAJORITY of users on here have never even been inside public housing much less lived in them so you really don't what the term "ghetto" is. It's not a place or people, its a state of mind. If you took the residents from say, Outhwaite and switched them with the people of Pepper Pike. Pepper Pikes gonna become the hellhole and Outhwaite would basically turn into its own suburb.
I actually lived in Cleveland public housing for periods of time as a child. From 1961 to 1965 I lived in Lakeview Terrace, then from 1969 to 1971 I lived in Riverside Park. Neither of these projects was anything close to "ghetto" back in those days; they were pretty decent places to live, in fact. I actually liked living in Riverside Park quite a bit back then (I was 8 to 10 years old at the time). I made lots of friends there who were my age and we played in those big grassy areas behind the townhouses. Back in the day it wasn't a bad place at all for a kid to grow up, and I was sorry to leave there when we moved.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:41 PM

79 posts, read 235,758 times
Your from Lakeview too andrew61? Did you stay in the high rise or the apartments? Things must've been great in the 60s because it's bad down there now like gunshots every other night bad, but that's how I've always known it to be. Even tho they renovated the apartments down the hill the area is still getting worse.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:58 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,103 times
Euclid, Garfield Heights, Maple Heights, and parts of the Bedfords have seen significantflight in recent years. It's yet to be seen if that will make its way further east, but there's no denying that trickles have begun in areas such as Beachwood, Orange, and Solon.

Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights are interesting case studies. While both have deteriorated slowly but steadily in recent years, both also have large patches of concentrated wealth and upscale housing stock that will likely last for some time, particularly because of both cities' proximity to University Circle and ease of access to downtown. The inherent advantages that CH and SH have simply do not exist in Euclid, Garfield Heights, Maple Heights, or the Bedford area.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:56 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Euclid, Garfield Heights, Maple Heights, and parts of the Bedfords have seen significantflight in recent years. It's yet to be seen if that will make its way further east, but there's no denying that trickles have begun in areas such as Beachwood, Orange, and Solon.

Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights are interesting case studies. While both have deteriorated slowly but steadily in recent years, both also have large patches of concentrated wealth and upscale housing stock that will likely last for some time, particularly because of both cities' proximity to University Circle and ease of access to downtown. The inherent advantages that CH and SH have simply do not exist in Euclid, Garfield Heights, Maple Heights, or the Bedford area.
Really? All those cities have much better freeway access than the CH, SH areas, making it much easier to get downtown, or other places in the region for that matter, from those places. Geography has little to do with it, nor does housing stock; East Cleveland has great geography, and once had great housing stock. What has to do with it, is a concerted proactive effort by those city governments and citizens to prevent their cities from decaying. Both cities branded themselves as havens for tolerance, and attracted educated people seeking a multi-cultural experience. These types of people tend to be more willing to raise taxes on themselves to support the public good, and this is exactly what they did. Both cities support outstanding assets, including ice skating rinks, recreation centers, schools (yes, even CH has excellent Honors and AP programs), libraries, theaters, and public services (fire, police, ems). These assets continue to attract educated people who want an active, engaging, multi-cultural experience. In the Cleveland area they are two of only maybe 3 suburbs that offer something like that. Other communities would do well to follow their example. East Cleveland and the CH-SH area can be seen as case studies in the two directions an aging city can go, depending on how engaged and competent the city government and citizens are in preserving their communities.

Last edited by Cleverfield; 04-23-2013 at 08:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland