Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 01:13 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,279,618 times

Advertisements

Williamsburg? Oakland? WTF is this dude talking about?

Old 01-12-2014, 02:07 PM

79 posts, read 144,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Williamsburg? Oakland? WTF is this dude talking about?
What's a better comparison? Were you thinking Cleveland would be the next Chicago? Columbus? Pittsburgh?

Old 01-12-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Great and guess what? There are hundreds of other forums to discuss your feelings for Mason, Ohio or California or Chicago.

In regards to objectivity, according to your logic, Miley Cyrus is a great artist because she dominated album sales charts last year. Or, more relative to this discussion, Mumbai, India must be a great place to live because about 20,000,000 people call it home.
I've been to third world cities. Most are better than Cleveland. Third world cities, while not rich, are vibrant. Like an artist. Cleveland is dead behind the eyes. Like a meth addict. Ohio's state bird.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
"too far gone to recover"? Do you realize that the city of Rome had less than 20,000 people less than 200 years ago, and now has 3.5 million? Things can change very dramatically over the course of time with the right leadership in place. And Cleveland does have some strong leadership in place, including mayor Jackson. And what evidence do you have to back up your statement "that Demographic overhaul is usually the catalyst for positive changes in cities?". How can there be a demographic overhaul without development to attract different demographics? It's not just going to happen with a snap of the fingers.
Rome had 20,000 people because it was repeatedly sacked by northern invaders towards the end of the Western Roman Empire, and muddled along as a backwater for another 1000 years as the center of Italy's economic gravity shifted north. Rome recovered after the Renaissance when Papacy started centralizing power , enriched by the discoveries in the New World. Finally, when Italy developed as a unified nation in the 1800s or so, Rome was declared the capital to unify North and South. Rome is not anywhere near as important as it was during the Roman Empire. Milan competes aggressively (and likely wins) as the economic capital of Italy. Rome survives thanks to the bureaucratic state.

I guess Cleveland has a future if it follows the same model as above.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:57 PM

152 posts, read 187,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Louisville is the third city mentioned in the cite. Note it did the right thing Merged with Jefferson County in 2003 and showed reasonable growth between 2010 and 2012.

that is what I think needs to happen in all these decaying cities with more successful metros.
While I see the benefits of a city county merger that will create a larger tax base for the urban core as well as the elimination of duplicate services like police and park systems, I also feel you are picking up a larger voting base that might be more unsympathetic to core specific spending on such things as urban renewal projects. Indianapolis, Columbus, and Louisville, for example would have to prove to the suburbanites how a streetcar system only directly impacting the downtowns would also be good for the outlying areas as well before getting voter approval.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:50 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,179,487 times
Quote:
In regards to objectivity, according to your logic, Miley Cyrus is a great artist because she dominated album sales charts last year. Or, more relative to this discussion, Mumbai, India must be a great place to live because about 20,000,000 people call it home.
Miley Cyrus isn't a great artist?!?!?!

My neighboring co-worker hails from Mumbai. His one word description for it: "s**thole." But, I guess in the eyes of a complete ignoramus, several square miles of vermin infested ramshackle slums, the widespread absence of basic sanitation, open sewers which overflow with each rainfall, and rampant hepatitis is what makes a city "vibrant." I mean, hell, the vast majority of people live their lives in abject poverty and despair, but at least there's a lot of them!!!

Old 01-13-2014, 07:58 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,730,837 times
Ok, instead of deleting like 70% of the posts in this thread, I'm going to close it. I'm sure most of you will be happy to know that the troll that was responsible for this whole mess has been banned.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland