Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 10:29 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,280,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
It may not be the highest ranked, but for Cleveland it's pretty damn good.
It's the best university in the state...including anything found in your neck of the woods.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:10 AM

79 posts, read 144,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
It's the best university in the state...including anything found in your neck of the woods.
Oberlin and OSU could also claim that title, so I wouldn't be so confident in that statement. I also tend to meet many alum from both schools in my profession on the west coast. Never met a CWRU alum, though one of my friends from high school went to CWRU for medical school and is now a successful radiologist. Another guy went to the business school and is in a middle management role at a large MNC.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:15 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,131,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali1976 View Post
Oberlin and OSU could also claim that title, so I wouldn't be so confident in that statement. I also tend to meet many alum from both schools in my profession on the west coast. Never met a CWRU alum, though one of my friends from high school went to CWRU for medical school and is now a successful radiologist. Another guy went to the business school and is in a middle management role at a large MNC.
Oberlin is not a University.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:24 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,377,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Nonsense. Even the most egregiously false wiki page is more factual than your posts are.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:21 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,026,916 times
Quote:
This assertion is easily contested, considering the the formidable reputation of UC's DAAP, CCM and other outstanding programs.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:32 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,537,114 times
Quote:
I thought we were talking national rank here? I know CWRU is good, why do you think I took some classes there?

Old 01-11-2014, 12:39 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,131,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
This assertion is easily contested, considering the the formidable reputation of UC's DAAP, CCM and other outstanding programs.
It's by far the highest ranked National University in Ohio on the US News rankings.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:39 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,280,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
No disrespect to UC's great individual programs, but I'm talking about as an overall University across several dozen diverse programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
I thought we were talking national rank here? I know CWRU is good, why do you think I took some classes there?
We are, and of course CWRU does very well on that measure. However I figured it was worth pointing out since in the past you've argued how great your current locale is, which itself is a half-hour drive to the closest second-tier University in that neck of the woods.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:48 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,180,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Damn...why do you guys lie? It is reasonably easy to pick up.

Point out that, like Detroit, you have an income tax on suburbanites...2%?

And abandoned buildings? None?

Local news report...

EAST CLEVELAND, Ohio - The problem of abandoned homes in East Cleveland is twice as bad as it is in the city of Cleveland.

According to data from Case Western Reserve University, one out of every five properties in East Cleveland is abandoned. That's compared to one out of every 10 properties in Cleveland.

"They (the abandoned homes) make it easier for the crimes to occur," said Frank Ford of the non-profit urban revitalization project Thriving Communities. "There are lots of places to hide. It's very scary."

So only 10% of Cleveland properties are abandoned? And you never noticed?

MY MY MY
What's more than reasonably easy to pick up on is how ignorant you are about our city and how desperate you are about equating us with Detroit. Cleveland and Detroit are two very different cities, these days.

Nobody ever said that Cleveland doesn't tax income or have abandoned buildings. Cleveland does tax income. So does just about EVERY SINGLE OTHER COMMUNITY IN OHIO that isn't a township. What was said is that it isn't its top source of revenue because, well, it isn't. Cleveland also has abandoned houses and buildings, just as ALL cities do. But, it doesn't even rank in the top 10 for ANY vacancy rate (or even the top 15, from a 2009 source). In the 2012 source for total housing vacancy below, Detroit is #4. In the 2009 source, Detroit is #2. In either source, Cleveland isn't even mentioned. If you even could display a modicum of reading comprehension, that's what would have been taken away from what was stated. Also, from most sources I have seen, Cleveland's home vacancy rate is about 6.5% and that will be decreasing as the city continues to demolish derelict properties. Detroit is at about 28% home vacancy rate. The national average is about 11% -- Cleveland is around half of that rate while Detroit is about 2.5 times that rate. And, while Cleveland does have its share of vacant properties, Cleveland is actually doing something about it.

2009 source:
In Depth: America's Emptiest Cities - Forbes

2012 source:
Anybody home? These are America's emptiest cities - NBC News.com

Another thing you probably don't want to hear is that Downtown Cleveland is at full occupancy. Yes, that's right. If you want to live there, your name goes on a waiting list. They're churning out new apartments and condos at a rate of about 100/mo and still can't meet the demand.

Here's some more for you to chew on:
Home Page - Downtown Cleveland Alliance

Old 01-11-2014, 05:04 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
What's more than reasonably easy to pick up on is how ignorant you are about our city and how desperate you are about equating us with Detroit. Cleveland and Detroit are two very different cities, these days.

Nobody ever said that Cleveland doesn't tax income or have abandoned buildings. Cleveland does tax income. So does just about EVERY SINGLE OTHER COMMUNITY IN OHIO that isn't a township. What was said is that it isn't its top source of revenue because, well, it isn't. Cleveland also has abandoned houses and buildings, just as ALL cities do. But, it doesn't even rank in the top 10 for ANY vacancy rate (or even the top 15, from a 2009 source). In the 2012 source for total housing vacancy below, Detroit is #4. In the 2009 source, Detroit is #2. In either source, Cleveland isn't even mentioned. If you even could display a modicum of reading comprehension, that's what would have been taken away from what was stated. Also, from most sources I have seen, Cleveland's home vacancy rate is about 6.5% and that will be decreasing as the city continues to demolish derelict properties. Detroit is at about 28% home vacancy rate. The national average is about 11% -- Cleveland is around half of that rate while Detroit is about 2.5 times that rate. And, while Cleveland does have its share of vacant properties, Cleveland is actually doing something about it.
Actually it appears that more than half of City of Cleveland revenue comes from the income tax. Much larger than property tax. That is a good thing by the way. Detroit's problem is they don't get enough revenue from the income tax.

The vacancy number are not relevant. Abandoned houses don 't count in vacancy numbers. My own Las Vegas has a higher vacancy rate but has almost no abandoned homes.

So losing property tax would have little impact on the City but I wonder what happens to the schools?

Quote:
2009 source:
In Depth: America's Emptiest Cities - Forbes

2012 source:
Anybody home? These are America's emptiest cities - NBC News.com

Another thing you probably don't want to hear is that Downtown Cleveland is at full occupancy. Yes, that's right. If you want to live there, your name goes on a waiting list. They're churning out new apartments and condos at a rate of about 100/mo and still can't meet the demand.

Here's some more for you to chew on:
Home Page - Downtown Cleveland Alliance
Again a parallel to Detroit where Downtown is thriving. It is however something like 10,000 people out of 700,000. Is the development of downtown Cleveland in the sort of numbers that would change anything? I presume not or the average income would not be so low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland