Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 05:57 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I frequently run to Sims Park, it's a good spot. I do really enjoy walking around the frozen beach. I actually haven't been to Irie yet, but I've heard it's quite good. There are really tons of great spots on 185th, 200th, and 222nd.

I had been looking at homes for a while (with Cleverfield as my agent actually) and was really focusing north of Lakeshore in Cleveland and Euclid because I really thought the lack of thru traffic would make for a quiet and peaceful home with the added plus of lakefront access mere feet away. Got outbid several times before landing on one, but I think where I am is perfect so it all ended up great. Some of the houses on these streets are really lovely and I think overall these north of Lakeshore spots cost more so I'm not sure if I got in before that. But at the same time, I was still within the budget I set out with. Hopefully we see continued rise in home prices in North Collinwood. I also read recently in the Euclid Observer that Euclid is one of two suburbs in Cuyahoga county to post housing value increases each year for the last 9 years, the otherone being Strongsville. I think this general area is possibly the most overlooked in northeast Ohio.
The son of a friend also a couple years ago made an incredible purchase in Euclid in the underlooked neighborhoods south of Euclid Ave. in southwestern Euclid. Ignoring schools, that neighborhood may be one of the great housing values in Greater Cleveland, although I suspect there has been considerable appeciation in the last couple years.

The difficulty for Euclid in general is that many of the homes are smaller post-WWII bungalows on small lots, although the homes are very well built and well maintained due to Euclid's strong code enforcement.

So you bought north of Lakeshore? If so, how do home values in North Collinwood north of Lakeshore compare with properties north of Lakeshore in Euclid?

When I lived in Euclid, when working downtown several decades ago, I also used to jog to Sims Park, to the end of the pier (before its reconstruction) before turning around. Loved it! Euclid used to strongly enforce a no-dogs ban for Sims Park.

Have you explored Euclid's new lakefront trail yet? If so, how is it?

<<The Euclid Waterfront Improvements Plan expands public access to Lake Erie across historically privatized land while mitigating erosion, which previously resulted in more than one foot of earth annually lost to the lake. The project begins at the Sims Park Fishing Pier (rebuilt in 2013) and extends east. It is open to the public from dawn to dusk.>>

https://www.theeuclidobserver.com/ar...public-access/

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2020/...-projects.html

Do you know if shore ice currently covers any of the lakefront trail and prevents easy passage?

Surprisingly, there is no youtube footage of Euclid's completed lakefront trail. Perhaps something to do with the pandemic. Here's a drone video of its construction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf33DNHteSw

I haven't visited Euclid Beach Park since it was taken over and vastly improved by the Cleveland Metroparks. It appeared to have a fairly significant beach before the recent rise in the lake level. A hidden gem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyvOGN6iA6Y

Increasingly, very few persons remember the old amusement park. It closed when I was a teenager, and my only memory (I only visited the park once as a kid; by the time I was a teenager, we all went to Cedar Point or Geauga Lake) is of how terrified I was of the Thriller, a very puny coaster by today's standards. This Wikipedia article is very dated, and doesn't comprehend the Cleveland Metroparks takeover.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclid_Beach_Park

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyvOGN6iA6Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoNoyzxlqlI

Historic images and a documentary of the amusement park, once a mainstay of Greater Cleveland culture.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainm.../post_210.html

http://images.ulib.csuohio.edu/cdm/s...s/id/207/rec/3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q09Qt665XA8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTeFCijev_0

The old pier in its prime.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/197454764896958827/

Last edited by WRnative; 02-09-2021 at 06:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 06:14 AM

210 posts, read 173,666 times
Quote:
I frequently run to Sims Park, it's a good spot. I do really enjoy walking around the frozen beach. I actually haven't been to Irie yet, but I've heard it's quite good. There are really tons of great spots on 185th, 200th, and 222nd.

I had been looking at homes for a while (with Cleverfield as my agent actually) and was really focusing north of Lakeshore in Cleveland and Euclid because I really thought the lack of thru traffic would make for a quiet and peaceful home with the added plus of lakefront access mere feet away. Got outbid several times before landing on one, but I think where I am is perfect so it all ended up great. Some of the houses on these streets are really lovely and I think overall these north of Lakeshore spots cost more so I'm not sure if I got in before that. But at the same time, I was still within the budget I set out with. Hopefully we see continued rise in home prices in North Collinwood. I also read recently in the Euclid Observer that Euclid is one of two suburbs in Cuyahoga county to post housing value increases each year for the last 9 years, the otherone being Strongsville. I think this general area is possibly the most overlooked in northeast Ohio.

Congrats! Some of those streets have lovely houses...and to have the beach right there is icing on the cake. Personally, I steered away from N Collinwood due to schools and to proximity to shopping and plethora of good food (it just felt too isolated). But, for real value, nice housing stock and access to the lake, N Collinwood really can't be beat

Care to share some of the yummy hotspots? Plenty of time for roadtrips nowadays

Last edited by TechieTechie; 02-09-2021 at 06:25 AM..

Old 02-09-2021, 06:40 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
The son of a friend also a couple years ago made an incredible purchase in Euclid in the underlooked neighborhoods south of Euclid Ave. in southwestern Euclid. Ignoring schools, that neighborhood may be one of the great housing values in Greater Cleveland, although I suspect there has been considerable appeciation in the last couple years.

The difficulty for Euclid in general is that many of the homes are smaller post-WWII bungalows on small lots, although the homes are very well built and well maintained due to Euclid's strong code enforcement.

So you bought north of Lakeshore? If so, how do home values in North Collinwood north of Lakeshore compare with properties north of Lakeshore in Euclid?

When I lived in Euclid, when working downtown several decades ago, I also used to jog to Sims Park, to the end of the pier before turning around. Loved it! Euclid used to strongly enforce a no-dogs ban for Sims Park.
From what I've seen, the Euclid homes north of Lakeshore can get a bit nicer and fancier than the Collinwood ones. Especially those right on the lake. At least on those streets from about 208th to 217th. I think you definitely see a bit more of the $250k+ houses over there. But those are also much longer blocks than mine, lots more to choose from.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieTechie View Post
Congrats! Some of those streets have lovely houses...and to have the beach right there is icing on the cake. Personally, I steered away from N Collinwood due to schools and to proximity to shopping and plethora of good food (it just felt too isolated). But, for real value, nice housing stock and access to the lake, N Collinwood really can't be beat

Care to share some of the yummy hotspots? Plenty of time for roadtrips nowadays
I know what you mean. I am from around Fairmount Circle in University Heights and am still going back there frequently because of friends and family. But driving from the Heights to Collinwood can certainly be pretty bleak. Going through East Cleveland down 152nd for example is quite a grim ride to say the least. And the amount of blatant traffic violations on 152nd I've seen is kinda insane. I'd recommend always going through the Euclid Creek metropark if possible. That being said, I've kinda reoriented my day to day life so it doesn't feel as isolated as it does from the heights. For example, I've been to Willoughby and Mentor more in the last month than my entire life before now. Another plus is being able to be downtown in just about 15-20 minutes. The other places I enjoy going, such as Larchmere or Little italy are also similarly low travel time. I do wish public transit were better here, I am not sure why the 39f on the freeway to downtown has such low frequency and shuts down after rush hour. My heart is still with the RTA and I want to ride it, but at the end of the day, if you have a car up around here, you are still getting places quickly.

As for some suggestions around here, I can give some of my initial tips. Probably to be updated in summer. Six Shooter coffee on Waterloo is some of my favorite coffee in the area, and they sell these biscuit breakfast sandwiches which really are great. My Saturday morning tradition. I think what probably brings the most outsiders to E 185th is the Cleveland Brewery and the Standard right next to each other. Both are great. E 185th has a lot of potential, I'm hoping to see it fill up more post-Covidtide and as things get back on track. I'm also partial to the Paragon and Beach Club Bistro on Lakeshore.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:20 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,440,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieTechie View Post
DC is more or less the same pricepoint as Boston, so here goes:

Summary: Housing prices are WAY cheaper in OH, but property and local taxes are MUCH higher. Day to day costs, maybe 0-20% cheaper.

Details: Compare Inner ring suburb with good, but not fantastic, public schools. Older homes and modest lots. Skews towards professional buyers with families, some diversity. Good town services. Under 30 minute drive to downtown without traffic with public transit access to downtown. Arlington MA versus Shaker Heights OH is a pretty reasonable comparison.

1. Housing Prices: Shaker prices are 1/2 to 2/3 cheaper than Arlington. SFH, pre WWII, 2.5k-3k sq feet, lots between 1/4 to 1/2 acre sold within the last year (I tried to include Zillow screenshots, too big)
-Arlington MA: Average price around $1M
-Shaker Heights: Average price around $300k

2. Property Taxes (assuming $330k home)
-Arlington: $11.34 for each $1,000 (actual value)=$3.7k
-Shaker Hts is: $128.17 per 35% actual value = $14.7k

3. Income Taxes
-Arlington MA: City: None. State: 5%
-Shaker Heights OH: City: 4.25% (City and RITA), State is 4.4-4.8% (above $100k)

4. Sales Tax
-MA: 6.25%. MA also has a vehicle excise tax: $25 per $1,000 of assessed value
-OH: 5.75%. No excise tax

5. Daily stuff: Insurance, Food, etc. I find OH to be maybe 0-20% cheaper. Not a lot.

Funny, people give MA a hard time for high taxes...and OH has a higher comparable tax burden:

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...x-burden/20494
Interesting post. Thank you. FYI, nobody takes WalletHub seriously; I always felt that blog is made up by a bunch of Coastal elitist and hipster nerds who take every negative stereotype outside the Coasts and post it on their website.

Old 02-12-2021, 07:47 AM

538 posts, read 658,403 times
Count me in as a millennial who last summer brought a house along the beach streets of North Collinwood, and I love it so far. @techietechie while I agree with you that there is a lack of big box stores in this immediate area, I don't think that's as important as it once was with Amazon and countless other stores having online delivery.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
Count me in as a millennial who last summer brought a house along the beach streets of North Collinwood, and I love it so far. @techietechie while I agree with you that there is a lack of big box stores in this immediate area, I don't think that's as important as it once was with Amazon and countless other stores having online delivery.

North Collinwood likely is as close, if not closer, to most big box stores than Shaker Heights. There's a Home Depot on East 200th St. in Euclid, 5 minutes away, and a Wal-Mart Supercenter on Vine St. in Willowick, 15 minutes away. All of Mentor's massive retail offerings, including most big boxes, are within 20-25 minutes. Costco in Mayfield Heights also is less than 20 minutes away, as is BJs Wholesale Club in Willoughby. Mentor even has a Menard's and a Meijer's!

Very good proximity compared with most of the country and even perhaps a good majority of Greater Cleveland locations, because North Collinwood's easy access to Route 2, I-90, and I-271 provides great freeway options.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
North Collinwood likely is as close, if not closer, to most big box stores than Shaker Heights. There's a Home Depot on East 200th St. in Euclid, 5 minutes away, and a Wal-Mart Supercenter on Vine St. in Willowick, 15 minutes away. All of Mentor's massive retail offerings, including most big boxes, are within 20-25 minutes. Costco in Mayfield Heights also is less than 20 minutes away, as is BJs Wholesale Club in Willoughby. Mentor even has a Menard's and a Meijer's!

Very good proximity compared with most of the country and even perhaps a good majority of Greater Cleveland locations, because North Collinwood's easy access to Route 2, I-90, and I-271 provides great freeway options.
Yep, I find it very easy to get to these places, but actually enjoy them being a little bit away too.

Old 02-12-2021, 12:59 PM

Default Living in North Collinwood

Quote:
Yep, I find it very easy to get to these places, but actually enjoy them being a little bit away too.
Do you still work from home? Do you have to commute downtown ever? If so, where do you park and what does it cost these days?

How do you get to I-90 from your house when heading east or west?

Just curious. I've never investigated North Collinwood north of Lakeshore, but it sounds intriguing. When I worked downtown, occasionally for fun, I would drive home through Bratenahl. At that time, Lakeshore in Cleveland seemed lined with apartment buildings and commercial strips, but I never explored the neighborhoods north of Lakeshore. I did have friends that lived in Cleveland off East 185th St.; I wonder how that neighborhood is doing these days as the single family homes there were larger than many of the bungalows in Euclid.

Cleveland Public Schools have some great options, including the Campus International School and Campus International High School, which likely would be convenient for parents commuting downtown.

The STEM options also might be interesting.

https://www.clevelandmetroschools.org/Page/2128

I wonder if any of the STEM options offer gifted/AP tracks.

https://www.clevelandmetroschools.org/Page/286

The last time I checked, the MC2 STEM High School at the Great Lakes Science Center, also convenient for downtown commuters, had very good test scores and ratings.

https://greatscience.com/about/mc2-stem-high-school

It seems to have slipped, but the Cleveland public high school John Hay options on Stokes Blvd. in University Circle are well ranked.

https://www.greatschools.org/ohio/cl...%5B%5D=charter

Last edited by WRnative; 02-12-2021 at 01:23 PM..

Old 02-12-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Do you still work from home? Do you have to commute downtown ever? If so, where do you park and what does it cost these days?

How do you get to I-90 from your house when heading east or west?

Just curious. I've never investigated North Collinwood north of Lakeshore, but it sounds intriguing. When I worked downtown, occasionally for fun, I would drive home through Bratenahl. At that time, Lakeshore in Cleveland seemed lined with apartment buildings and commercial strips, but I never explored the neighborhoods north of Lakeshore. I did have friends that lived in Cleveland off East 185th St.; I wonder how that neighborhood is doing these days as the single family homes there were larger than many of the bungalows in Euclid.
Still working from home, so commuting is not an issue as of now. I go downtown one or two times a week, just to see how it's going. I live around where your friend lived, just a little east of 185h and north of Lakeshore. Some of the homes on the beach streets are quite nice and quaint. The larger neighborhood is doing "ok" I would say. There are a lot of vacancies on E 185th right now. I think it's ripe for investment though. The street needs to be cleaned up and spruced up a bit. I think it needs more people who actually live on 185th, it can be pretty low pedestrian activity at times. But there is actually a lot of stuff there. Too many barbershops though imo. Anyway, I think a lot of people just never think of this area, I know I didn't. But once you hang around a bit, it really grows on you. If you asked me where I'd buy a house a year ago, I would not have said "off 185th." One of my friends is now also looking to buy somewhere around here or just over the border in Euclid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland