Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 04:57 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,041,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Pioneer Square in Seattle was truly astonishing to me.
Had recent experiences (friends) in San Fran of robberies and car break ins. Can you imagine paying $2k/month for a 400 sq foot apartment and not feeling safe? Amazing. I lean left but that is absolutely nuts, they've got to do do something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2022, 01:02 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Yep, even when I moved from there in 2018, the situation was pretty bad, and since the pandemic, at least according to the Seattle threads here, it has really exploded. One of the pleasant surprises of moving here...I haven't seen homeless at all, although there undoubtedly are some.
You must never go downtown, then.

Often, I even see homeless people in downtown Lakewood.

Although, I'll admit, so many Clevelanders are so ragtaggy in appearance that the homeless often can't be distinguished from the merely poor.

And, not all homeless people necessarily "look" homeless. Especially those who have access to public shelter and are able to get regular free meals, showers, and laundry. And many of them work regular jobs.

Old 04-11-2022, 10:20 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Unfortunately, homelessness is a problem in Cleveland, and it's sad and a shame. But not to sound 'misery loves company'-ish, but it's a growing problem all over the country. In LA, there are nearly large apartment complex-sized populations living under freeway overpasses -- replete with sofas, beds, tables, bike racks... even cabinets. In Philly, it's freeway and RR overpasses. It's not (yet) at that level in Cleveland, but the homeless are very visible, esp in/around Public Square. Just because it's not as bad here, doesn't mean the situation is good by any means.

Old 04-12-2022, 05:48 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Unfortunately, homelessness is a problem in Cleveland, and it's sad and a shame. But not to sound 'misery loves company'-ish, but it's a growing problem all over the country. In LA, there are nearly large apartment complex-sized populations living under freeway overpasses -- replete with sofas, beds, tables, bike racks... even cabinets. In Philly, it's freeway and RR overpasses. It's not (yet) at that level in Cleveland, but the homeless are very visible, esp in/around Public Square. Just because it's not as bad here, doesn't mean the situation is good by any means.
But to compare Cleveland's homeless to any west coast city is massive massive, almost unbelievable difference. When I lived at Playhouse Square, I recognized the homeless people. The same like 5 people you'd see every day. If you go to Seattle in some areas, the homeless outnumber the non-homeless. There are just so, so many. Seattle wishes Pioneer Square were like Public Square. It's really not even the same ballpark.

Old 04-12-2022, 06:05 AM

469 posts, read 432,969 times
^^ Agree. What I do see is a smattering of panhandlers and doorway sleepers around downtown. And the occasional lost soul, with obvious drug and/or mental illness issues, outside some random convenience store on Lorain Ave or wherever.

I don’t see anything that even remotely compares to the post-apocalyptic horror scenes in sections of the west coast cities.

Upon touring downtown CLE for the first time, my wife (a SF girl) could not believe how “clean and safe” everything was. True story.

Last edited by SlideRules99; 04-12-2022 at 06:19 AM..

Old 04-12-2022, 07:44 AM

1,304 posts, read 854,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
But to compare Cleveland's homeless to any west coast city is massive massive, almost unbelievable difference. When I lived at Playhouse Square, I recognized the homeless people. The same like 5 people you'd see every day. If you go to Seattle in some areas, the homeless outnumber the non-homeless. There are just so, so many. Seattle wishes Pioneer Square were like Public Square. It's really not even the same ballpark.
Yes, it's a world of difference....and my understanding is it's even worse now with the pandemic than it was when I lived there (been in Ohio 3.5 years now). Must be pretty awful.

Old 04-12-2022, 08:00 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,440,830 times
Although, I'll admit, so many Clevelanders are so ragtaggy in appearance that the homeless often can't be distinguished from the merely poor.

Well, excuse us Clevelanders @andrew61 for not wearing Brooks Brothers suits or Vera Wang dresses to do simple tasks such as going to the grocery store . But seriously, you don't know that person's financial status by the way they dress. You have some people like in your old city that spend their rent money for the flyest clothes. You also have some people who shop at the Goodwill (yes, I said Goodwill) and have money.

Old 04-13-2022, 08:55 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,779 times
I don't have any metrics on hand, but my impression is Cleveland (city and region) are very well priced compared to their peers. I don't know what the real household income/cost of living ratio is offhand, but my hunch is that's reasonable and a decent barometer of a cheap/affordable that isn't a train wreck.

Thinking about Lakewood in particular. For a lot of reasons it's probably the best bang for one's buck in the region.

Old 04-13-2022, 10:07 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
I don't have any metrics on hand, but my impression is Cleveland (city and region) are very well priced compared to their peers. I don't know what the real household income/cost of living ratio is offhand, but my hunch is that's reasonable and a decent barometer of a cheap/affordable that isn't a train wreck.

Thinking about Lakewood in particular. For a lot of reasons it's probably the best bang for one's buck in the region.

Lakewood is great, but given my personal priority would be access to University Circle, and my love of Holden Arboretum and Lake Metroparks, I would much prefer northern Cleveland Heights or other suburbs very convenient to UC.

These threads may interest you.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...veland-13.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...-not-dead.html

The amenities available to residents in northern Cleveland Heights dwarf those in Lakewood IMO, including easy RTA Red Line rail rapid service to downtown, as well as the nearby 24/7 Healthline bus rapid for Playhouse Square. Oh, yeah, the main campuses of both the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals are in Greater University Circle, while the Lakewood Hospital was closed and demolished. Can't beat living next to a global medical center, especially if elderly.

Also, northern Ohio's upscale shopping mecca is Beachwood Mall/Legacy Village, and almost every other retailer is nearby if Mentor is considered.

Old 04-13-2022, 05:57 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,779 times
Cleveland Heights is mostly solid, and I enjoyed my three years there. But living a stone's throw from water is non-negotiable for me, plus there's plenty to do on Detroit and Madison.

117 to Little Italy is only ten red line stops too. Very reasonable.

East side certainly has plenty of retail, but Crocker and Strongsville hold their own. And I personally wouldn't base where I live on the Cleveland Clinic/University Hospital's headquarters, but to each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland