Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 10:54 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
I agree on the signage comments - both for 185th and for Waterloo. Something snappy to bolster a community identity and to cue visitors to the neighborhood vibe. This is a very cheap and easy enhancement.

At least one upscale (Felice or Batuqui type) restaurant on both Waterloo and on 185th. I could be mistaken, but I don’t recall seeing one such establishment. This would attract a whole new segment of visitors, who would then be exposed to other offerings in the neighborhood.

Pepper in a few of the following: trendy coffee shops, vegan friendly restaurants, brewpubs or cider house. Do so without derailing the working class vibe. A fancy cocktail bar can live in harmony with a Muldoons. People would flock in.

High visibility events at LaSalle Theater. It flies under radar IMO. Beachland is great, but you want pedestrian visitors on 185th.

Is there a street fair on 185th? I know about Waterloo Arts Fest.

Transit is a must.

Renters and buyers would come in as these types of offerings ramp up.

You have a gem of a neighborhood. It is a just matter of time before it pops.
The Standard is definintely an upscale spot on 185, check out their awesome menu: https://standard185.com/the-standard-menu

Sounds like the Charter House opening next year will be perhaps not upscale but more so than anything else there except the Standard. Maybe on par with a place like the Paragon?

Quote:
King, a versatile entrepreneur with businesses in the hospitality and transportation fields, will open Charter House. He has been working on the property for about four months and expects to have the restaurant ready to welcome its first guests in spring.

“When people see it, they’ll love the décor and atmosphere,” he explains. “We want to attract the professionals and locals in the neighborhood that want someplace where they can go that’s safe, reliable, consistent and just a good atmosphere.”

King describes the cuisine as “classic American, with something for everyone.” To go with the food will be a great wine list and creative cocktails.
Would be nice to have 1 more semi upscale ish place around. Not too much though. Definintely want to keep the character here. If people really want that vibe they can already go to the near west side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2022, 07:58 PM

469 posts, read 432,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The Standard is definintely an upscale spot on 185, check out their awesome menu: https://standard185.com/the-standard-menu

Sounds like the Charter House opening next year will be perhaps not upscale but more so than anything else there except the Standard. Maybe on par with a place like the Paragon?

Would be nice to have 1 more semi upscale ish place around. Not too much though. Definintely want to keep the character here. If people really want that vibe they can already go to the near west side.
The Standard looks excellent; I’ll need to check it out.

Watch out for those hipsters and young professionals invading…lol. You know what happens to working class neighborhoods that get “discovered”. You lose ‘em for good. Being off the beaten path works in your favor IMO. (North Collinwood reminds me of a smaller version of North Portland to some degree, minus the homeless problem…)

I do agree it feels like a special place, as you and Cleverfield have said. I’ve had limited time there, but the friendly / neighborly vibe is noticeable and contagious. And I’m glad you’re advocating 185. It would be nice to see the Beachland crowd venturing that way a bit more.

BTW, there is a new vegan joint (Juicy Vegan) on Waterloo I just discovered. Literally a food stand with 2 bistro tables inside a fitness center. The vegan burgers are great. They also have a Polish boy which is on my to-do list.

Old 12-04-2022, 08:29 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,122,095 times
For vegan restaurants there’s also Ritual Juicery in the Pop Life building (the colorful building with the big pillars that used to be a bank). They have vegan juices, smoothies, bowls, wraps, and salads. They also occasionally host a vegan brunch with different vendors. Also, there’s a vegan food truck The Benevolent Butcher that frequently comes to the area. There are a surprising number of vegans and vegetarians in the neighborhood.

Old 12-04-2022, 09:14 PM

469 posts, read 432,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
For vegan restaurants there’s also Ritual Juicery in the Pop Life building (the colorful building with the big pillars that used to be a bank). They have vegan juices, smoothies, bowls, wraps, and salads. They also occasionally host a vegan brunch with different vendors. Also, there’s a vegan food truck The Benevolent Butcher that frequently comes to the area. There are a surprising number of vegans and vegetarians in the neighborhood.
Thanks! I ate at the Benevolent Butcher food truck during the Waterloo Arts Fest. Amazing. They also do a vegan brunch on occasion at the Beachland on weekends. Great stuff! I’ll def try Ritual. Collinwood is happenin’.

Old 12-05-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
The Standard looks excellent; I’ll need to check it out.

Watch out for those hipsters and young professionals invading…lol. You know what happens to working class neighborhoods that get “discovered”. You lose ‘em for good. Being off the beaten path works in your favor IMO. (North Collinwood reminds me of a smaller version of North Portland to some degree, minus the homeless problem…)

I do agree it feels like a special place, as you and Cleverfield have said. I’ve had limited time there, but the friendly / neighborly vibe is noticeable and contagious. And I’m glad you’re advocating 185. It would be nice to see the Beachland crowd venturing that way a bit more.

BTW, there is a new vegan joint (Juicy Vegan) on Waterloo I just discovered. Literally a food stand with 2 bistro tables inside a fitness center. The vegan burgers are great. They also have a Polish boy which is on my to-do list.
I really don't know that many "young professionals" around here to be honest. The 4 millennials on my street are a property manager, police officer, firefighter, chef, and flower shop employee. So we have room for some more white collar types, I think it helps to a degree. But hopefully the tight knit nature of the area serves as a bit of protection against too manytotally transient new white collar workers that would potentially be tempted over here.

Old 12-05-2022, 09:01 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,976,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
There's an effort by the Community Development Corporation and some of the more active community members to just call the whole area Collinwood. The idea I think is to try and erase the stigma of South Collinwood, since people from North Collinwood try to emphasize that they're from North Collinwood, to separate themselves from the more downtrodden and more negatively perceived south part of the neighborhood. I don't know if this will actually be effective in any way, but that is the direction the community has been wanting to go.
Within North Collinwood, do you see people making a distinction between the Waterloo and E185th portions? On the map they seem quite separate, being broken up by Euclid Creek.

Old 12-05-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Within North Collinwood, do you see people making a distinction between the Waterloo and E185th portions? On the map they seem quite separate, being broken up by Euclid Creek.
I'll offer my experience here. The area definitely seems divided into these two spheres of influence to a degree, but I wouldn't say it's Euclid Creek doing the dividing per se, but rather that the area west of the creek just tends to be a bit sketchier than to the east (though immediately west of Euclid Creek I find quite nice). 185th probably ties in a bit more with Euclid than Waterloo (185th and 200th "go together" pretty well). But certianly people go to both. I'd have no issue walking at night to 185 but there is a point where I don't think it's a great idea to walk over to Waterloo. I have done this of course but you see more "Red flags" as you get closer to the Waterloo area - beat up cars, vacant homes or homes in bad condition, aggressive barking dogs, etc. Not to say it's all like that, just that it's more common over there. But certainly Waterloo is where I go to work and have coffee sometimes (Six Shooter) and Fillmore is one of my favorite bars.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:14 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,228,125 times
Quote:
I only mention Boston because of my experience there. Shaker Square is very reminiscient of some areas of Boston, specifically Coolidge Corner, if anyone is familiar.
Always thought the same about Cleveland Heights on Fairmount near the Alcazar apartments, regards to Boston/Cambridge.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:52 AM

Looks like the Cleveland Brewery is staying in Collinwood, relocatning from E 185th next to the Standard to the old Slovenian Workmen's Home on Waterloo. THis should be a game changer for the brewery- space was incredibly limited at the 185 location. Workmen's home is massive. Hope they will be able to produce tons more beer and expand what were very odd and short hours prior. Also can fit way more folks.

Old 12-07-2022, 10:56 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,228,125 times
Quote:
Looks like the Cleveland Brewery is staying in Collinwood, relocatning from E 185th next to the Standard to the old Slovenian Workmen's Home on Waterloo. THis should be a game changer for the brewery- space was incredibly limited at the 185 location. Workmen's home is massive. Hope they will be able to produce tons more beer and expand what were very odd and short hours prior. Also can fit way more folks.
Sounds cool, though I hate seeing old Cleveland vanishing with the demise of the Collinwood Slovenian Workmen's home. Wasn't there another one, complete with bowling alley, off of 152nd near Holmes? Closer to Collinwood High?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland