Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2009, 07:55 AM

2 posts, read 3,907 times

Advertisements

We are looking at moving to the area. we are not sure what area would be a good safe area for the kids to go to school & grow up..I may be working at the one of Maple Heights elem schools-so we would like to live within 30 minutes driving time. we are used to living in a quite neighborhood-very low crime & very low problems..what areas do we need to avoid? what schools to avoid? we just need any info we can get..We have never been to the area so we know nothing about this area or schools...(not even the Maple Heights area)
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 08:25 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,298,765 times
If you want to stay on the eastside, I'd say the safest is Beachwood, Solon, University Heights...Shaker Hts and Cleveland Hts have some really nice areas too, but there is some crime there.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:29 PM

124 posts, read 714,330 times
Firstly, I'd avoid buying in Maple Heights. Not even sure I'd want to work in that school system but you've got to do what you've got to do.

Independence to the west, Solon to the east, and Brecksville to south are probably the closest towns that offer what you want. There are other options a little further away as well.
Based on your wants, you probably won't like Bedford, Garfield Heights, Warrensville Heights or the south Cleveland neighborhoods which are the closest options around Maple Heights.

Steve

Steve

Old 08-13-2009, 10:38 PM

436 posts, read 875,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
If you want to stay on the eastside, I'd say the safest is Beachwood, Solon, University Heights...Shaker Hts and Cleveland Hts have some really nice areas too, but there is some crime there.
Solon is a bit too far.

If you start from solon, and take 271 to maple hts exit, then you will hit right in the road work, which is endless.

Traffic time is a bit stretch for solon under current system.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:33 PM

49 posts, read 170,774 times
Solon to Maple Heights isn't that far? I would probably take 422 to 480 and be there in about 15-20 minutes. (I can get from Solon to Downtown in about 25 minutes (422/480/I77) on a good day and that is a good bit further)

Solon is a pretty safe town with the nice amenities, great schools, and a nice downtown area. Nice rec center and lots of other young families. Great library.

Brecksville has a more rural, country feel, very safe and good schools. A little further from shopping/restaurants. Great Rec Center & Library.

I liked Independence (very close to Maple Hts) decent schools, great low taxes. But there are not many houses for sale there, it's a small town.

I know more people moving out of Shaker Hts than moving in, and they are much happier for it. It just doesn't feel that safe anymore and the schools are declining. Plus, taxes are very high and I'd worry about the resale value of your house. It's also not close the highway so it seems to take longer to get around to the outlying areas of town.

University Hts has some pretty reasonably priced and cute smaller 1920's houses. About 20 minutes on local roads to Maple Hts. Lots of young families. Schools are not that great after elementary school. Very close to lots of shopping and restaurants. A little closer to the highway than Shaker.

Beachwood is nice too w/ great taxes and great schools, closer to the highway, but has a reputation for being a bit snobby since there is higher end shopping there.

Last edited by kerensa; 08-15-2009 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: clarification/spelling

Old 08-19-2009, 04:28 PM

16,561 posts, read 19,761,655 times
I would say Independence. Some of the lowest prop taxes in the county and top notch city services. There are a LOT of business in Ind which keeps taxes low. As was stated, though, if you can find something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland