Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2010, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 10,185 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We'll be moving from Pittsburgh to Cleveland this summer. I'll be working at University Health Systems near Case Western and we're looking for a family oriented, safe community within 10-15 minute drive of work.

We've been there a few times and have looked in Shaker, Beachwood, Pepper Pike, Lyndhurst & Solon. But we're drawn to the charm and neighborhood feel of Shaker.

From searching the threads here seems like the areas to avoid would be Ludlow, Moreland & Boulevard. Outside of these areas does it really make a difference as far as crime rates which area you are in?

The two areas that most of the houses we like seem to be in are Fernway and Mercer. Is there much of a difference in crime between these two?

And would you consider one better than the other for starting a family?

In Fernway most of the houses we looked at are right around Fernway Elementary...so any comments on this area would be appreciated.

And in Mercer the houses were close to the Beachwood border.

Just wanted to get a feel for which neighborhoods in Shaker we should focus on.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 09:28 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,282,740 times
Hi and welcome! I absolutely love Shaker as well. Both Shaker and Cleveland Hts have some of the best housing stock on the eastside.

Sounds like you are looking in the better areas. Unfortunitely, I'm not a Shaker expert, so all i will say is good luck. Also don't forget to enjoy Shaker Lakes and Shaker Square.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:49 PM

155 posts, read 460,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villain189 View Post
Hi,

We'll be moving from Pittsburgh to Cleveland this summer. I'll be working at University Health Systems near Case Western and we're looking for a family oriented, safe community within 10-15 minute drive of work.

We've been there a few times and have looked in Shaker, Beachwood, Pepper Pike, Lyndhurst & Solon. But we're drawn to the charm and neighborhood feel of Shaker.

From searching the threads here seems like the areas to avoid would be Ludlow, Moreland & Boulevard. Outside of these areas does it really make a difference as far as crime rates which area you are in?

The two areas that most of the houses we like seem to be in are Fernway and Mercer. Is there much of a difference in crime between these two?

And would you consider one better than the other for starting a family?

In Fernway most of the houses we looked at are right around Fernway Elementary...so any comments on this area would be appreciated.

And in Mercer the houses were close to the Beachwood border.

Just wanted to get a feel for which neighborhoods in Shaker we should focus on.

thanks
I have been in Shaker for going on 10 years (I was in University Hts before this for 5 years).
Both Mercer and Fernway are very nice (I live in Fernway).
I think the neighborhoods that are a bit sketchy(Ludlow/Moreland and the eastern part of Lomond) A fair amount of rentals and right on the Cleveland border. The City of Shaker Heights - City Map (http://www.shakeronline.com/about/maps/map.asp - broken link)
Fernway homes tend to be limited in size (usually 4/5 bedrooms and 2.5/3 bathrooms, whereas Mercer has some bigger homes(a little newer--1940+ vs. 1920+). From my experience Fernway is a pretty tight knit neighborhood that is really anchored by the elementary school. A friend of mine moved to Landon Rd. in Mercer neighborhood, beautiful home, but the neighborhood is a little less tight (of course the bigger houses are farther apart). But, it is quite beautiful.
I have friends in Onaway and Malvern. Onaway is closer to Fernway in home size/style. Malvern has the biggest homes.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 5,078 times
Shaker Heights is the most wonderful city. I relocated here two years ago with my children, due in great part to the fabulous schools (top 2% in the country), the amazing architecture, and tremendous sense of community. Every day I know I made the right decision.

I am also a realtor in Shaker Heights, so feel free to drop me a line if you'd like some info on housing options.

Kit

Old 01-05-2010, 01:33 PM

114 posts, read 305,785 times
I lived in Shaker Heights for 2 years before moving to Cleveland Heights. It's generally a nice place all around. The Fernway area is affectionately known as the "Faculty Ghetto" among us medical students. There seem to be quite a few med school professors (and some students) in that neighborhood. Seing as you'll be at Univ Health, I think you'll fit right in!

Old 01-05-2010, 06:30 PM

171 posts, read 446,531 times
Default Flip a Coin

Seriously, Fernway will give you more of the "Shaker" charm. We moved here 2 years ago to Fernway. I enjoy watching the kids WALK to school and walking down to the Rapid for the CAVS games. Fernway blocks are ver close knit with great block parties. However the larger (20 years newer) 1940's houses of Mercer would not be a bad choice. You would save about 2-5 mintues living in Fernway going to work. No diffference in crime, I asked a policeman (not scientific).

Old 01-05-2010, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 10,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit18b View Post
Seriously, Fernway will give you more of the "Shaker" charm. We moved here 2 years ago to Fernway. I enjoy watching the kids WALK to school and walking down to the Rapid for the CAVS games. Fernway blocks are ver close knit with great block parties. However the larger (20 years newer) 1940's houses of Mercer would not be a bad choice. You would save about 2-5 mintues living in Fernway going to work. No diffference in crime, I asked a policeman (not scientific).
Nice...thanks for the unscientific poll. Sounds like we can't go wrong with the Fernway, Mercer, Malvern area as long as we find the right house. Shaker sounds like a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland