Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 01:02 PM

24 posts, read 110,379 times

Advertisements

I have been interested in checking out North Carolina for a long loong time. I currently live in Colorado and my favorite Author is Nicholas Sparks (he always writes about NC and now I want to visit!)

I would like peoples opinions on what there favorite town is in NC. When I say town, I do not want to live in a big city and I would love to be on the beach. If you know of a town that fits this please reply, I would love to hear your thoughts!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 03:57 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
You do realize that Nicholas Sparks writes idealized fiction, right?

Are you talking about a vacation? Or are you packing up and moving based on stories?

If you are thinking of moving, you better have a substantial nest egg and a job lined up. The areas along the coast are pretty expensive. You didn't mention what kind of employment you would be seeking. The Carolinas have had a huge influx of people and many came before they had jobs. Thus, the unemployment rate is fairly high.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:35 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Just about the whole coast is a small town, outside of Wilmington. Sparks lives in New Bern. But you need more specifics to find a better place for ya.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:57 PM

21 posts, read 61,923 times
I always heard his writting is based on Swansboro mostly.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:47 AM

713 posts, read 3,929,629 times
Smile No secret that I love Emerald Isle area

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestar9 View Post
I have been interested in checking out North Carolina for a long loong time. I currently live in Colorado and my favorite Author is Nicholas Sparks (he always writes about NC and now I want to visit!)

I would like peoples opinions on what there favorite town is in NC. When I say town, I do not want to live in a big city and I would love to be on the beach. If you know of a town that fits this please reply, I would love to hear your thoughts!!
We looked for almost four years before picking the Emerald Isle area. There are some great advantages to the area. One, development density is low. Even in the summer there is plenty of room on the beaches. Two, geographically the area is sandwiched between Croatan National Forest, Cape Lookout National Seashore and Camp Lejeune. I believe that trilogy will prevent out of control development.

Another thing that I really like about the area is the dense vegetation on the barrier island from Fort Macon all the down through Emerald Isle. While there are some places where the second row on the beach side is also second row on the sound side, those places are rare.

For the most part the 24 miles of the Crystal Coast portion of the Southern Outer Banks is a very strong barrier island with some substantial beach growth taking place at the Point area in Emerald Isle.

You can check out my travel guides to Emerald Isle (http://coastalnc.org/emeraldislenctravelguidecd - broken link), Swansboro, and Beaufort (http://coastalnc.org/beaufortnctravelguidecd - broken link) as well as my web page with lots of links to pictures and information about the area and its attraction.

I also have a number of articles about the area posted at this site.

The water around here is hard to beat.

Last edited by dsobotta; 07-22-2010 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: left out word

Old 07-22-2010, 01:43 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMacon48 View Post
I always heard his writting is based on Swansboro mostly.

I don't keep up that much. I just know he lives in New Bern. Nights in Rodanthe is based on Rodanthe though.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:13 PM

7,126 posts, read 12,667,756 times
My favorite cool little North Carolina towns and villages on water, some not directly on the ocean, but in close proximity are:

Beaufort
Morehead City
New Bern (45 minutes to beach)
Ocracoke (an island, with a great, long beach)
Oriental
Salter Path (directly on ocean on Bogue Banks)
Swansboro

In all cases, you'll want to bring a job with you, perhaps work in the medical profession, or bring your nice retirement pensions with you.

Much of the available work is related to tourism and in the service industry and not well-paying...but IMHO, worth the trade-off's to live in a pretty place with friendly people, great seafood and beach-walking....

Old 07-23-2010, 09:01 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,414 times
Manteo is another very cool town, as well as Hatteras Village. Pretty much anywhere up and down the coast, as mentioned above. What are you looking for in a town?

Old 07-24-2010, 02:12 PM

42 posts, read 91,390 times
what would be a good town with a college near by? i want to relocate out to the coast and buy a 300k+ home some where near the beach with in 10miles

Old 07-24-2010, 03:08 PM

451 posts, read 1,914,389 times
Wilmington would be your best bet, if a local university is a requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina