Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2007, 02:40 PM

90 posts, read 163,632 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We are considering moving to coastal North Carolina and wondered if Cape Carteret would be a good area to raise 2 teen boys (12 & 14 now). I've been researching the area (along with many others) on the internet and I like what I read about the area but wonder if it's mostly retirees or if there are families with teens there also.

Employment is not an issue as my husband is retiring and we would like to be near the beaches and Intracoastal Waterway but our boys are our top concern for now.

Also would like a good church.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 02:52 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,029,802 times
jrsgirl,
It's a great area. The two schools your teens would atend would be Broad Creek Middle School and Croatan High School. The greatest (and Best) playground you could have in the Cape Carteret area is Bogue Sound. There are several Churches in Cape Carteret.
It is literally five minutes from Emerald Isle and the ocean side beaches.
Heck-Cape Carteret even has a Lowes Food Store and a Lowes Home Improvement!
Let me know if I can be of any assistance!
Bill

Old 07-18-2007, 04:42 PM

713 posts, read 3,929,327 times
Smile Cape Carteret is our home base

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsgirl View Post
Hi!

We are considering moving to coastal North Carolina and wondered if Cape Carteret would be a good area to raise 2 teen boys (12 & 14 now). I've been researching the area (along with many others) on the internet and I like what I read about the area but wonder if it's mostly retirees or if there are families with teens there also.

Employment is not an issue as my husband is retiring and we would like to be near the beaches and Intracoastal Waterway but our boys are our top concern for now.

Also would like a good church.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
You have picked a great area. We moved down to the area last September and love living here. We actually go to the Cape Carteret Presbyterian Church which is just across the street from the new Lowes Home Improvement Center.

Right next to our church is the Methodist Church which is a much bigger church. Right beside Lowe's Home Improvement Center is the real estate office where I work. So I feel like part of the town even though we live just down the road.

The area is growing. They have just started work on a new Walgreen's that is going to be in front of the Lowe's Grocery Store. Here are some pictures of the Cape Carteret Town Hall. It is one of the few places where I have felt like government might be paying attention to the people.

Looking at the Moderator cut: link removed you should factor in that Cape Carteret, Cedar Point, Swansboro, and Emerald Isle are all so close that you get the feeling that you are a part of four small towns at one time.

We do have a lot of retirees, but there are also a number of young people and the tourists with their families also add to the mix, though you mostly see them in the grocery stores and on the beaches if you choose to use a public access beach instead of doing what most locals do, which is find a beach accessible only by boat.

As you can probably tell from the maps, the Intracoastal Waterway runs right by the area. We live on the water a few miles up the White Oak River. It takes us about 15 minutes to get to the Intracoastal.

This map (http://coastalnc.org/generalarea - broken link) will give you a pretty good idea of the area.

We just got our boat and are really enjoying it. If you come to the area, make certain that you get someone to give you a ride down the Intracoastal from Swansboro to at least Broad Creek. The area is really beautiful from the Intracoastal. We have been as far as Shackleford Banks which was a sixty-seven mile trip.

Also if you have a particular kind of boat in mind, that has a lot of impact on where you might want to live since the area has lots of water, but much of it is fairly shallow. We have a 20ft skiff and so far it has been the right boat for us.

Just talk to some local people who have boats, and you will quickly find out where your boat can be happy.

Here are some links to boat trips that we have made, they give you a pretty good idea of the area.

Shackleford Banks Trip

Father's Day Boating Trip, Hammocks Beach, Bogue Inlet

Up the White Oak River

You might also enjoy this post about the Mayor of Cape Carteret cooking hamburgers for everyone.

Finally I think you might be able to get a feel for the ages of people in the area by looking at these two festivals.

One is the Emerald Isle Saint Patrick's Day Festival.

The other is the Swansboro Oyster Roast and Pig Out. I know for a fact that teenagers play a big part in making the Oyster Roast successful.

Some more local pictures that might help are the ones from the Emerald Isle Christmas Parade.

You might also like to read about the Swansboro Flotilla

Then there are all the pictures of the great trails in the area. Having the Croatan National Forest around is pretty neat.

As you can tell, I really love the area. Though all of our kids are grown, I would have loved to have grown up here. If your kids love the outdoors, this is a fantastic spot. I know a couple of people who have been here for most of their lives, and they turned out pretty terrific.

You can find more info links starting at one of my main websites, Southern Outer Banks or Coastal Paradise.

I would be glad to try to answer other questions that you might have. Since I am recognized in the restaurants and hardware stores, I now consider myself a local.

By the way, you can find school information at this link.

Last edited by Yac; 11-02-2007 at 06:42 AM..

Old 07-18-2007, 06:41 PM

Thanks Bill & dsobotta,

Great info....we also homeschool. Do you know any homeschoolers in the area?

How's the fishing? My husband would love to spend his free time catching & keeping...are the fish edible?

Old 07-18-2007, 07:38 PM

713 posts, read 3,929,327 times
Smile Cape Carteret Fishing Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsgirl View Post
Thanks Bill & dsobotta,

Great info....we also homeschool. Do you know any homeschoolers in the area?

How's the fishing? My husband would love to spend his free time catching & keeping...are the fish edible?
I will ask around about the homeschooling. Since our kids are grown, we are a little out of that circle, but I can find some info for you.

The fishing is outstanding. You can read this post, Zucchini of the Sea, for details on my last fishing trip which was this past Friday just outside of Bogue Inlet

The short version is that we left at 6:30 am caught 4 Spanish Mackerel and 5 Bluefish that were keepers and were back at the dock with the fish cleaned by 8:30 am so my fishing buddy could make work by 9 am.

The Spanish Mackerel are delicious fish, but they are just one of many varieties that are here. We have Flounder, Grouper, Sea Trout, King Mackerel and lots of other fish. Most of the fish except Big Bluefish are not only edible but delicious. There is an abundance of Flounder which is one of my favorites along with Grouper.

I catch something off of my dock almost every night with my fly rod, but fall is the best time for fishing.

We also have some of the best shrimp in the world and plenty of Blue Crabs, Oysters, and Clams.

You can get a list of inshore NC Saltwater fish at this link.

You can also read about my extraordinary 2005 fishing trip in Beaufort Inlet. It was one of those fishing days that you have very rarely in your life. I caught over 50 fish in a morning.

I did make a mistake in my previous post. The church beside Cape Carteret Presbyterian is a Baptist Church. The Methodist Church is east on Highway 24. There's a large Catholic Church in Swansboro. We have no shortage of churches.

You can also get some good area information and fishing report from Dropping Anchor which a free local publication. They have a PDF version that you can download for free from their website.

Hope you can make it down before the fall, so your husband can enjoy the fantastic fall fishing.

David Sobotta

Old 07-19-2007, 03:40 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,029,802 times
jrsgirl,
The single best web site for saltwater fishing is North Carolina Waterman. It is updated daily by the charter captains and fishermen Click Here
All fish are edible with one small exception. Some shellfish like clams & oysters that are located in closed shellfish waters. Closed shellfish waters are almost always up in the head ins of creeks. The closed shellfish areas are only for shellfish that don't move so shrimp, crabs and scallops are fine.
The Cape Carteret area is very good for speckled trout, flounder and drum. The peak fishing time is coming up which is August thru November.
A few miles away and you're scooting out of Bogue Inlet. This time of year king mackerel and spanish mackerel are in close to the beach.
The artificial reefs near by are holding dolphin (mahi-mahi) and sailfish. Bluewater fishing is consistent with yellowfin tuna, wahoo, dolphin with Blue & white marlin mixed in.
Sorry about that-I didn't mean to launch off on to a fishing report!!
I have an extensive background with the fisheries and fishing. I've worked with agencies such as the National Marine Fisheries, NC Sea Grant, Monterey Bay Aquarium, and have produced television programing for local and national air on the fisheries.
Let me know if I can assist you with fishing/boating along the NC coast.
Bill

Old 07-19-2007, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the great info guys! My husband can't wait to get fishing. We will check out the websites you gave us.

We are planning to visit in the fall sometime and take a look around. We sold our boats here as we are on an inland lake (Missouri reservoir...nice though) so will hope to buy a boat after we move.

The other question I have is related to church. We have a preference for a Charismatic church with a Calvinistic theology! I know that's a little different but if you hear of any please let us know. Thanks.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,704 times
Yahoo Carteret County Homeschooling Group

[url=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/carteret_hs/]carteret_hs : Carteret County, NC Homeschoolers[/url]

Old 08-22-2008, 08:41 AM

Thanks Brock!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina