Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2012, 09:05 AM

14 posts, read 57,943 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in Boston and we are looking to make a change. We are looking for a place to settle down and start a family (safe, economical and with good schools), and where we can feel a part of a community. We are really looking for a small town feel, but my husband is an accountant so there has to be jobs in the area or be close enough to a city for him to commute. We both love the water and would ideally like to be close to the beach or at least some place warmer. Also my dream would someday to be open up a bakery since baking has always been a passion of mine so small town that gets tourist would be great to help support the business.
Right now we are looking at the Carolinas, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, or Texas, but honestly we have no idea where to start looking.

Any thought on where to start looking or which towns would be best … Please help any options would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 10:25 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
I know you say you want a small town, but the jump from Boston to Coastal NC may be too large. Especially as a young couple. If you are looking at NC I'd suggest cities/communities around the Triangle. Though considered the "big city" for those of us from Eastern NC, it will still no doubt give the small town feel you're looking for relative to Boston. You'll also find plenty of Red Sox fans in that area. I ran into someone from Boston today at CompUSA in Raleigh, as a matter of fact.

If you insist on the coast the only places with above average education as a school system are Carteret (Morehead City, Newport) , Craven (New Bern, Havelock), Dare (Kitty Hawk, Manteo), and New Hanover (Wilmington, Wrightsville Beach). That said their also bad school systems with good schools like the city of Hampstead in Pender County. There are also medicore school districts with plenty of room for individual excellence like Pitt and Onslow. And there are also some bad schools in the aforementioned "above average" districts.

IMO, the only real choice for someone coming from large city would be the Wilmington area. Specifically, I would suggest looking into Hampstead in Pender County. It has great schools, safe community, lower cost of living than Wilmington but still easy access to all Wilmngton has to offer.

In the Triangle look into the Cary/Morrisville area. Apex as well. Depending on where you're coming from in the triangle you are only 2-2.5 hrs from the beach. There also lakes and rivers in the area as well.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:33 PM

104 posts, read 240,617 times
Richmond, VA is a good place. It's 2 hours from Virginia Beach. 1 hour from 2 theme parks, Paramout's Kings Dominion(North of Richmond) and Bush Gardens in Williamsberg, VA., 3 1/2 hours from the Outer Banks, and 2 to 2 1/2 hours from DC.

The Outer Banks of NC is another good area.( Southern Shores, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, Nags Head, Manteo). Elizabeth City is an hour away. Lots of history, small town feel, Big tourist area. They could use a good bakery. Schools are very good there too. Locals are friendly. But if all your used to, is big city life, he OBX(OuterBanks) can take some getting used to. If I had the money I would move back to Nags Head today. I lived there for 4 years, a block and a half off the beach. Andy Griffith has a house in Manteo.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:18 PM

4 posts, read 9,606 times
Hi, I wanted to suggest a small town in NC. Newport is fairly close to the water. REALLY needs a real bakery, and is a great place for kids. Feel free to write me back at aMENshop@yahoo.com. We moved down from CT about 10 years ago now. At first is was like another country, but you feel the freedom here. People are very nice. I will suggest you DON'T move to a community with other "out-of-towners". Living expenses are not the lowest in the world. Food is taxed, which still to this day amazes me! But its a very nice place to live. I hope you consider it.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:14 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Newport is a great, very small town. A very small town.

Adjacent to Morehead City (that is in the midst of a retail explosion) and about 30 miles from New Bern, a small town of 25K or so, but not a lot going on. I know there are several CPA offices in New Bern.

New Bern is about 45 minutes to an hour from beach (but has a good hospital), Newport, about 20 minutes to beach, and MHC is basically the beach (you cross a sound to get there). If it were me, AND I COULD FIND A JOB, it would be Newport.

Just keep in mind, that Newport, MHC and New Bern are going to seem like another planet to someone from Boston. There are, however, a lot of Red Sox bumper stickers and decals, so you would probably find some Bostonians, somewhere.

Good Luck

Old 02-01-2012, 04:06 PM

14 posts, read 57,943 times
Default thanks

we may be living in boston but both me and my husband are from PA ( sorry i forgot to mention that, so here in boston we are drowning and that's why e are looking for a small town the only problems with small towns might be with him finding a job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina