Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 09:45 PM

713 posts, read 3,928,422 times

Advertisements

There were some nice waves on the Emerald Isle beaches this evening. There were plenty of surfers out enjoying the waves.

The water has cooled down substantially, but it was still a wonderful evening on the beach.

Most of the time with big waves, you get wind, but this evening the wind was not very strong.

The pictures were taken between the western regional access and the pier.

-David Sobotta

Last edited by dsobotta; 11-01-2007 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: left out word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 05:33 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,028,177 times
dsobotta pretty much captured the beach right now. We are still in shorts and t-shirts.
There is an off shore storm that is bringing an on shore swell that is perfect for surfers.
It also litterally brings the fish in.
Right now is the most perfect time of year to fish for just about anything. World class fly fishing for false albacore is going on right now. (Albie fishing is so good here that President's come here for it)
Speckled trout and drum (red fish) fishing is ata peak. Inshore fishing for King mackerel between Beaufort and Bogue Inlets-Offshore for Tuna and wahoo-and spot and sea mullet fishing from the surf-All Great!!
Oops-Almost forgot-Sound and surf fishing for flounder is extremely good.
Look at Dsobotta's pictures again, call in to work, "Well" and then come on down to the Crystal Coast of North Carolina!
Bill
PS: Now you know why I came here for a weeks vacation 26 years ago and never left!!

Old 11-02-2007, 10:09 PM

Well the weather changed today. We had strong winds from the north which means that they were blowing at a right angle to the beach and straight offshore.

I didn't see any surfers today.

The winds are supposed to die down soon, and the weekend should be wonderful.

The temperatures will be in the upper sixties which is a big change from the eighty degrees we saw on November 1 when I took all these pictures.

November 1 Surfing Pictures

The water temperature yesterday was 69 degrees at Bogue Inlet Pier. It should start dropping with the cooler evening temperatures.

That should bring even better fishing.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:34 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,863 times
Great pictures Dave, thanks.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:10 AM

928 posts, read 3,851,465 times
What was up with the Temps Friday. I almost felt like i was back in NY on lake erie.

I hope the winter isn't damp and windy but I hear that's the norm here. I guess beach living much have major disadvantages afterall.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:47 AM

Smile Don't write off a mild winter yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
What was up with the Temps Friday. I almost felt like i was back in NY on lake erie.

I hope the winter isn't damp and windy but I hear that's the norm here. I guess beach living much have major disadvantages afterall.
We had Hurricane Noel offshore on Friday which explains the strong north winds.

North Carolina got off very lucky compared to New England and Canada. What was left of Noel went right up the Bay of Fundy between New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.

We used to live there and got to experience the remnants of one hurricane coming by our home. It was pretty impressive given that the tides are 28 feet anyway. According to the Halifax, NS paper 170,000 people were without power (http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Front/976587.html - broken link) at the peak of the storm.

Friday was not the norm for winter weather around here. Anyone who told you that was pulling your leg.

We only had 19 hours below freezing in January last year. There were 11 days above 70 degrees. We had one bad nor'easter last March I believe, but this is not New York.

We still haven't turned on our heat, our Hibiscus in the driveway is still blooming, and I am still getting ripe tomatoes from the plants behind the house.

The coldest temperature I have seen so far is this morning at 45 degrees, and it will get close to 70 today. I'll take that weather any day.

The whole country is in for a cool down this week. Accuweather has a story about it (http://www.accuweather.com/news-top-headline.asp?partner=forecastfox&traveler=0 - broken link).

By Tuesday night, the first snow of the season will be covering much of Pennsylvania, New York, and even as far south as the mountains of West Virginia. On Thursday the high temperature in New York City will be 47 and in Buffalo 41.

Our temperatures in Cape Carteret are forecast to be the following. I'll take Cape Carteret's twelve extra degrees of warmth anytime over NY's 47.

Today
[Clear]
71° F | 49° F

Tues.
[Partly Cloudy]
69° F | 38° F

Wed.
[Clear]
58° F | 38° F

Thurs.
[Partly Cloudy]
59° F | 43° F

Fri.
[Partly Cloudy]
62° F | 46° F

Old 11-05-2007, 04:27 PM

222 posts, read 936,125 times
You know David, I could be just fine if you didn't go and post pics like these to make me homesick for EI. I guess I'll have to stop reading any EI posts!

Old 11-05-2007, 07:14 PM

Wink Don't do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipster View Post
You know David, I could be just fine if you didn't go and post pics like these to make me homesick for EI. I guess I'll have to stop reading any EI posts!
There is a cure, come visit. Today was one of those days you would like to figure out how to bottle.

The next chance I get, when we get a nasty day, I'll post it.

-David

Old 11-06-2007, 09:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,719 times
Default Fantastic Photographs!

David,

Your photos are outstanding . . . I can almost hear the sound of the waves and the shore birds!

I just returned home (North of Raleigh) from a long weekend at EI and I'm still going through beach "detox". It always takes a few days to re-adjust to life after returning home from down east. It's such a calming place to be especially in the Fall.

My husband and I recently sold our business here and I'm trying despirately to talk him into a permanent move to the coast.

Keep those photos coming!

- Andi

Old 11-07-2007, 09:12 PM

Smile We love to have new neighbors on the coast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashortnc View Post
David,

Your photos are outstanding . . . I can almost hear the sound of the waves and the shore birds!

I just returned home (North of Raleigh) from a long weekend at EI and I'm still going through beach "detox". It always takes a few days to re-adjust to life after returning home from down east. It's such a calming place to be especially in the Fall.

My husband and I recently sold our business here and I'm trying despirately to talk him into a permanent move to the coast.

Keep those photos coming!

- Andi
We made the move a year ago September. It is just such a wonderful place that I have a hard time controlling my enthusiasm for it.

Everyone thinks I'm on the payroll for the board of tourism, but I just enjoy writing about the area and of course taking pictures.

I took the first two pictures earlier this week when I went kayaking in the White Oak River, and later when I drove over to Swansboro. The last one was taken over on Emerald Isle yesterday near noon.

A sunset picture over the Intracoastal taken near Waterway Inn

The amazing change in the beach at The Point as the beach starts to hopefully stabilize.

-David Sobotta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina