Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 12:31 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times

Advertisements

Oh, I don't know, I guess I've the opposite view. I think Beaufort would be delightful for a young family. The schools are pretty good, the teachers I know are very dedicated and the kids I meet seem friendly, well-adjusted and out-going. Love how they say hi to us.

Culturally, our area might not be as filled with offerings as other places with more population, but there's the American Music Festival season for great chamber music, lots of free music during the summer in pubs and restaurants, the fascinating Maritime Museum and all their activities, the Historic Association and all their happenings, and low-traffic leafy streets for bike riding.

There are all sorts of festivals in Beaufort, Morehead City and surrounding towns--and they're fun! Beaufort's free Music Festival in May and the ever-growing Mardi Gras are two that come to mind. We just had a Chocolate Festival in Morehead, they also have a huge seafood festival.

As far as the critters, yes we do have mosquitoes and Palmetto bugs--and ants. We have a contract with a pest control company and have had little problem with them invading our home. In ten years I've seen one dead copperhead, and a Pygmy Rattlesnake, no alligators. There are also foxes and opossums and raccoons. Haven't seen any skunks. Deer and bear in the outlying rural areas.

I feel safe here in a way I never felt in San Francisco. It did take me a couple of summers to adjust to the humidity--thank goodness for A/C, but now I love the warm summer nights when you can sit outside and feel the balmy breezes. And winters are a snap.

Of course, the water sports--boating, fishing, canoeing, kayaking are superb, as is the bird -watching.

The nearby Duke Marine Lab and NOAA facility bring in a lot of great intellectual capital and you'll meet some fascinating students and PhD's from all over the world.

And since Beaufort is a port city, you'll also meet cruisers on power and sailboats coming to Beaufort, on their way up and down the ICW. It's interesting to invite them home for a meal to hear their tales.

We've found Beaufort warm and welcoming and are very glad we moved here. Is it for you? Hard to say..it will take an adjustment but pretty soon, it's more than likely you'll be enveloped in friendships and your kids will be begging for a boat...

Sorry, I cannot speak to the job situation in your field--perhaps someone else can...

Come for a visit and see what you think...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 12:51 PM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Very good comments LD...

My first experience with that area I ended up on on a boat where we went to Shackleford Island and made our own beach and took our own cooler. It didn't get much better than that.

In terms of the weather, many seem to confuse the Coast with the inland cities when describing NC weather. The warm breeze you described in the summer is exactly why many in Raleigh and Greensboro and such relocate to this area in the summer. The summer's are not bad because you are along the coast. It may be 98 in Raleigh and 91 in Beaufort. That's an even bigger difference when you factor in the ocean breeze. Unless you live along the coast and track what is happening inland you may not realize the drastic difference in climate. In the winter it is routinely 10 degrees warmer along the coast and in the summer it is routinely 5-8 degrees cooler, so the descriptions some have of not too much difference in temps (like Ohio or PA) is much more a reality on the coast. Most are surprised to find out that there are drastic differences in temps when you go inland in NC (sometimes just 10 miles or so inland).

Old 02-06-2013, 02:18 PM

43 posts, read 242,276 times
Thanks, everyone, for the comments. I'll admit the "Rural South" comment got my attention—hopefully we wouldn't feel too out of place. I guess the next step is a visit. I love City Data forums for this early investigation though.

LD, your comments were much appreciated and I feel like you know where I'm coming from. Your remark about the "intellectual capital" was just what I was looking for and part of the reason I'd "picked" this area for interest. I guess I'm always looking for some place smaller and a little out of the way that isn't also "backward" and devoid of interesting thought. I know from living other places that a college and/or research facility, special programs, and even tourism can make a big difference.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:26 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Glad I could help...Beaufort/Morehead City are not everyone's cup of tea, but those of us who have adopted this area are very fond of it and happy we found our way here. Someone once told me, "Everyone who's meant to be here, eventually shows up." Maybe so. Another friend told me "There's a vortex here...like Sedona." I cannot attest to that, but after a long walk on a deserted winter beach with just the gulls, pelicans, sandpipers and occasional dolphin for company, I can say for certain, "I've found my bliss."

Maybe you and your family will, too!

I was once a Pennsylvania Yankee, then a Californian, now I call myself a Yankee Belle.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:51 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
In terms of the weather, many seem to confuse the Coast with the inland cities when describing NC weather. The warm breeze you described in the summer is exactly why many in Raleigh and Greensboro and such relocate to this area in the summer.
I was talking about the weather in the Pacific NW vs coastal NC. Definitely the sea breeze helps and sure, it's more hot and humid someplace inland like Fayetteville or even Raleigh, but unless you're right on the beach you don't always feel the breeze. It also does not cool down at night. According to weather.com the mean temp in Beaufort in July is 81F (88 avg high, 74 avg low) vs a mean of 69F (80 avg high, 57 avg low) for Portland. It's a pretty big jump in the heat index, especially when it doesn't cool down at night.

Although I'm a native of NC I have never heard of anyone relocating to the NC beaches in the summer for the cooler weather. They relocate for the beach! If they wanted cooler weather they'd relocate to the mountains.

Beaufort is a great little town. I don't know if it's what the OP is looking for or not, but definitely worth a visit to find out. I'd also check out teeny little funky Ocracoke and the other spots on the Outer Banks like Kill Devil Hills, Nags Head, etc. If something a little bigger appeals, check out Wilmington.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:11 PM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I was talking about the weather in the Pacific NW vs coastal NC. Definitely the sea breeze helps and sure, it's more hot and humid someplace inland like Fayetteville or even Raleigh, but unless you're right on the beach you don't always feel the breeze. It also does not cool down at night. According to weather.com the mean temp in Beaufort in July is 81F (88 avg high, 74 avg low) vs a mean of 69F (80 avg high, 57 avg low) for Portland. It's a pretty big jump in the heat index, especially when it doesn't cool down at night.

Although I'm a native of NC I have never heard of anyone relocating to the NC beaches in the summer for the cooler weather. They relocate for the beach! If they wanted cooler weather they'd relocate to the mountains.

Beaufort is a great little town. I don't know if it's what the OP is looking for or not, but definitely worth a visit to find out. I'd also check out teeny little funky Ocracoke and the other spots on the Outer Banks like Kill Devil Hills, Nags Head, etc. If something a little bigger appeals, check out Wilmington.
You are right, it doesn't cool down at night, but those breezes make it feel cooler. I know a number of families that come to the Atlantic Beach area for months in the summer to beat the unbearable heat inland...that's all I was trying to say...I dont think someone from the Pacific Northwest should think its going to be 98 degrees the whole month of July in Beaufort, because its not. It will be closer to 90 if its 98 in Fayetteville or even in Kinston. Its still hot, just not the unbearable hot because of the proximity to the water, that allows for that breeze and overall cooler temps.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:04 AM

10 posts, read 19,270 times
I just wanted to chime in, because last year we found out my husband was getting orders to the area, and we ended up selecting Beaufort. We have 2 children, in elementary and middle school. We live in one of the communities off 101, along the ICW. Everyone here on the forum was so helpful.

I agree with the previous posters that the area is safe, however, the neighborhoods along 101 have been targets for break ins recently. Since late summer, I have heard about several break ins just in my neighborhood. The police told my neighbor they are seeing an increase Beaufort-wide. Most of these have been during work hours, when no one was home. That being said, I still feel comfortable walking alone during the day or evening. But we did sign up with an alarm company, too.

The schools have wonderful, caring teachers, who are very friendly. We don't hear about big discipline issues at the middle school, like you do in larger areas. The only drawback is the curriculum here is not as challenging as it was in our last state. There are lots of changes expected with the new Common Core standards, so we'll just have to see how it all plays out. In Beaufort there is also a charter school for grades K-5, called Tiller. They have a nice reputation, as well.

It's an easy drive from Beaufort to so many places, so if you like road trips you're set. We go to the mountains often, and it's an easy drive to Asheville or Boone.

We've lived many places, and this is definitely the most laid back place we have been. Everyone is super friendly. There are more pros than cons, for sure. But I do miss some conveniences of being close to a larger city. We spend a lot of time running over to Morehead City. From our neighborhood to the area of MHC with the Panera Bread, Wal Mart, etc. it's a 25 minute drive with the stoplights. The Harris Teeter in MHC has a small selection of organic foods, and is where I tend to grocery shop. Also check out Rainbow Meadow Farms (rmfpasturemeats.com). They are an all natural farm, and they make once a month deliveries to the coast, for only a $10 charge. If you prefer to pick up your meat and eggs, you can go to their farm, or meet them at the farmers marker in New Bern.

Good luck with your visit! Even if you choose not to move here, you will love your trip.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:33 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahTakesPics View Post
We've lived many places, and this is definitely the most laid back place we have been. Everyone is super friendly.
Thanks for providing feedback about your successful move!

Old 02-13-2013, 08:19 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
To follow up on the availability of organic food, the New Bridge Organic Market from Jacksonville is opening a store in Swansboro. The new store is at 208 Main Street and they will have a Facebook page like the Jacksonville store.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:43 AM

43 posts, read 242,276 times
Thanks everyone for the great feedback! We're working on scheduling a trip to the area as soon as possible. Beaufort remains at the top of the list, but we'll plan to drive from Southport and Wilmington all the way to Elizabeth City. I'm confident one or more of the towns along the coast will meet our needs for a safe town with good schools, lots of sailing, and some vibrancy/culture/stimulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina