Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,293 times

Advertisements

I am looking for any information about moving to NC this summer. we are going to rent an apartment for about 6 months until we can find an area we love. I was wondering if anyone could help us find an apartment that is safe. We have a 13 year old daughter and a disabled husband. Are there areas that are safe and close to everything. At the moment I have to drive everywhere, even to get my mail. so walking everywhere is important to me. I would love to walk out my door walk to the grocery store, to the movies, anywhere, but safety is far more important than my wants. Unless you all know of an area I can start my looking. even if we can take a bus would be wonderful also.

I am looking into any area actually, I am graduating from college for Billing and Coding and Medical Administrative Assistant certificates. The budget is not important. If I can find a safe home or apartment I can make it work.

Last edited by hcooley974; 03-19-2013 at 09:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 09:39 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,880,039 times
Which areas / towns in Coastal NC are you considering? What do you do for work / plan to do for work? Also, and most importantly, what is your budget?

That will help people here give you more informed suggestions

Thanks & Good Luck!

Old 03-19-2013, 10:41 AM

Thanks for the edit/ update!

Honestly, walkability isn't a strong point in a lot of communities in Coastal NC, nor is public transportation for that matter. With that said though, it's not entirely impossible.

Since budget isn't an issue, but walking access to amenities is, I would first look at Mayfaire Town View located in Wilmington's Mayfaire Town Center. They're actually Condos but I've noticed listings in the past for rentals in the complex (so you'd probably be renting through a private LL/ private rental company as opposed to an apartment complex per se- from previous rental listings I've noticed they rent from about $1200+ a month). You'll be steps away from groceries (Fresh Market), a movie theater, cafes & restaurants and shops. I honestly don't know what the level of safety is like in the apartments, but I've never felt 'unsafe' at Mayfaire Town Center by any stretch of the imagination- it's very well kept up and maintained so I would be surprised if they had any significant problems.

Additionally, the WAVE (Wilmington's public transport bus) runs directly in front of Mayfaire Town Center, allowing easy links to Downtown Wilmington, etc.

If I had your requirements, and no budget limitation- they would probably be the ones I'd look at first! Wilmington would be my first choice in Coastal NC regardless though, purely due to the fact that it's the largest city on the NC coast so has more amenities than the rest. With that said though, the downside is that unemployment in NC, and Wilmington is high (amongst the highest in the U.S) so I would strongly suggest securing employment first!

Good luck to you and your family! I hope that helps! I look forward to seeing what others suggest also

Old 03-19-2013, 10:59 AM

P.S. A more affordable option may be Cypress Pond at Porter's Neck in Wilmington. I used to have a friend who lived there and it was a reasonable complex. You would have Food Lion, Harris Teeter grocery store, a bank, and a couple of other shops within 0.2 of a mile- but it's probably not all 'walkable' since I couldn't imagine trying to cross US-17 as a pedestrian! It's definitely not as convenient as living in Mayfaire- but it still has amenities close by!

Old 03-19-2013, 01:39 PM

3,087 posts, read 4,878,881 times
Wilmington has a fairly good bus system....but with your 13 y/o I would try to get into Hoggard's district which can narrow your options. Governor's Square is an older complex right on College Rd that is really close to schools and two shopping centers as well as two parks...There is a new complex on Lake Ave right next to Roland Grise Middle...again plenty of shopping right next door. Barclay Commons is also a good option but more pricier...not far to the mall area off Independence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina