Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 10,772 times

Advertisements

I have heard mixed views on how the gay population are treated in Wilmington.

I might be moving there, but am a little concerned if it isnt as open and welcoming as I am used to.

Does anyone have any feedback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 01:41 PM

572 posts, read 1,610,045 times
98% of the people that live in Wilmington are never going to know you're gay unless you tell them, dress in a manner that flaunts your homosexuality or carry around a sign that says "I'm gay". Of the remaining 2%, 90% could care less and the other 10% won't cause you any physical or economic harm so why worry about it. Worry about the important stuff like if you like the city, can you afford to live here and can you find a job. However if you are looking for a city that has a celebratory attitude towards homosexuality like San Francisco then you probably won't be happy here. Otherwise I would rank Wilmington as highly tolerant for NC.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:56 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,673,430 times
ditto to what the above poster said.

wilm. is a fairly liberal college town. no one really cares. its not celebrated, but, like i said, no one really cares...

Old 06-13-2011, 04:09 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
You will be fine.

Sometimes you may have to "turn the other cheek."

Old 06-13-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
You will be fine.

Sometimes you may have to "turn the other cheek."
much like i do with religion lol

Old 06-14-2011, 02:44 PM

46 posts, read 106,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
98% of the people that live in Wilmington are never going to know you're gay unless you tell them, dress in a manner that flaunts your homosexuality or carry around a sign that says "I'm gay". Of the remaining 2%, 90% could care less and the other 10% won't cause you any physical or economic harm so why worry about it. Worry about the important stuff like if you like the city, can you afford to live here and can you find a job. However if you are looking for a city that has a celebratory attitude towards homosexuality like San Francisco then you probably won't be happy here. Otherwise I would rank Wilmington as highly tolerant for NC.
I think this is a fallacy. Sexual orientation is actually part of one's identity; one does not have to flaunt it for someone to figure it out..e.g. if someone is 40 years old, and they don't date, or were never married, even the most backward people can figure it out eventually. Gay people are like straight people; when we head back to work after the week end, and someone asks us what we did, we like to be able to tell them, and not make up lies.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:43 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
You just missed Wilmington Pride this past weekend. You might look into their site and the resources they link to. In general it is not something to worry about. Even if people "figure out" you are gay, southern culture is usually preetty live-and-let-live unless one is obnoxious about [whatever]. I am gay and have lived my whole life in NC (not Wilmington, but been there a lot and know a lot of people from there), and other than at the political level, where our conservative legislature panders to quote-unquote "family" issues, the general way people treat you in NC, moreso in Wilmington, is not colored by whether or not you're gay. There's a sizeable Community down there--even a (small, so far) gay film festival just got started up this year.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:56 PM

700 posts, read 1,645,815 times
You will be fine. Now if you go up to mountains. Those guys up there would not have any problem with you.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:17 AM

572 posts, read 1,610,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb62 View Post
if someone is 40 years old, and they don't date, or were never married, even the most backward people can figure it out eventually.
That made me chuckle since I'm 43 and never married.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
That made me chuckle since I'm 43 and never married.
so's my husbands best friend and hes as straight as they come.

and... george clooney comes to mind (who is MUCH better looking than hub's friend LOL)

some men just dont want to marry (the horror!) LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina