Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 12:10 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,735,648 times

Advertisements

Thats all true until some legislator is delayed going to the beach, then that wallet opens up again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 03:59 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,427,076 times
OP, I lived in Pinetop for a year in the 90s. One thing you may not have considered, but should, is the humidity. It can be uncomfortable for people who aren't accustomed to it.

Visit the area in August, when it is the hottest. I love NC, and the heat and humidity are part of my life. It makes for nice gardens!

Good luck in your search. Relocating is an adventure.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:14 AM

37 posts, read 61,964 times
I'm wondering about NE NC as well. I just moved Kure Beach from a very rural area and having just come through the busiest week of the summer I am not sure I want to be here permanently. I enjoy having room to breathe but would like to be near the ocean....for the beach and/or boating....and way away from the crowds during the summer.

What I like about the island is that there are enough stores on the island for what you need for daily living but not so built up that there are tons of chains or any box stores. You can get that just a few miles up in S. Wilm along with city-like attractions downtown ILM.

Perhaps I need to take a trip up to the NE. Maybe spend summers there and winters here on KB. Does anyone know what the summer population swells to in Elizabeth City?

All in all, I do love being in NC. Will love it even more when my body temperature re-sets for the heat.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:01 PM

19 posts, read 39,197 times
My suggestion is Castle Hayne or Burgaw, 20-40 minutes outside of Wilmington.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:59 AM

264 posts, read 908,000 times
I love NE NC. Does the area have issues ? sure. Some things about being rural are great though, like yesterday, when driving towards Columbia on 64 and watching a beautiful bear run across the road. Like knowing of the Main Street Eatery in Creswell and having delicious sweet potato fries with apple butter in a town most never stop while driving past on 64. Watching a alligator sun in the spring in Stumpy Point or wandering in Whitley's in Murfreesboro for some of the best NC bbq ever made.

Don't get me started on the wonderful people of Eastern NC who have a spirit and kindness that is special. It is far from perfect but the natural beauty and people have made me fall in love with the area. It kind of just happened one day I was driving along looking at the farmland and the beautiful landscape, had some bluegrass playing on the radio and it hit me that I had made wonderful friends and loved the area despite its issues.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:02 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,606,834 times
Starrseallife you may love Kure Beach in October .... October through May may make up for the craziness of the summer! Oh there's nothing like Kure Beach in October.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:34 AM

I am very much looking forward to October on Kure Beach. Having been here now during the busiest time, I am sure I do not want to repeat the experience. NE NC sounds wonderful. I'll be checking it out this fall.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:30 AM

451 posts, read 770,088 times
It sounds like NE NC would be a good place for us. I'd love to live in a small, quiet community surrounded by natural beauty. I grew up in the sticks 100 miles from the nearest actual city, so I don't mind a bit of a drive to get to a more populated area with more stores and entertainment options. I'm sick of everything being so close together, especially people. Quiet, remote, isolated - these all sound like great qualities to me!

Old 09-06-2013, 10:26 PM

6,738 posts, read 4,423,499 times
"Does anyone know what the summer population swells to in Elizabeth City?"

I saw this and just had to laugh. That doesnt seem to be a problem here in E City. Not really much here to see. Its just on the river and down the road a ways to the Outer banks.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:22 AM

xsthomas Well I had to ask. When I tell people that Kure Beach is too densely populated for me, they just laugh. I was in Carolina Beach over the winter and moved here June 3. It has been a shock to my system being here over the summer with 30,000 people rather than the 7,000 that were on the island in February. Moved from 4 acres in the country with neighbors on 10, 15, 68, 110 and 300 acres. "They" say I'll get used to it. I'm not sure I want to. :O I've been on the water near EC but not on shore. Perhaps that's where I'll escape to next summer. Thanks for the tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina