Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 09:38 AM

5 posts, read 12,041 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about moving to North Carolina. We currently live in South Carolina. We want somewhere close to the beach. Ideally we would love to live right outside of an inner city area, for my husband to teach, and in an area with lots of environmental/coastal research for me. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 10:43 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
I can only think of two places, well maybe three. there are only three "cities" on the coast of NC. wilmington, new bern, and elizabeth city.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
I concur with this recommindation

Old 01-07-2008, 01:22 PM

713 posts, read 3,929,917 times
Smile Research along the coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveFrogs View Post
My husband and I are thinking about moving to North Carolina. We currently live in South Carolina. We want somewhere close to the beach. Ideally we would love to live right outside of an inner city area, for my husband to teach, and in an area with lots of environmental/coastal research for me. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!
There are a number of spots where there are research facilities. NC State and Duke have locations in the Beaufort area. There is also research location in Morehead City.

There are some names of people involved in research at this link.

Wilmington is really the only coastal city that is close to the beach. Morehead City is actually a small town.

As for school systems, Carteret County has a good reputation.

We have some beautiful scenery in our area of the Moderator cut: Southern Outer Banks , but no real cities, which those of us living here consider a good thing.

This was sunset yesterday near the Point at Emerald Isle.

http://coastalnc.org/thepointdec62008 (broken link)

If I can answer questions, give me a shout.

-David Sobotta

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-09-2008 at 11:48 AM..

Old 01-08-2008, 11:48 PM

4 posts, read 14,232 times
Mr. Sobatta
I looked at your albums on Picassa & would like to compliment you on your pics - some of them are heartbreakingly beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Old 01-09-2008, 08:27 AM

5,342 posts, read 4,430,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity224 View Post
Mr. Sobatta
I looked at your albums on Picassa & would like to compliment you on your pics - some of them are heartbreakingly beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
Yes, David does have quite a talent doesn't he? I often show my friends here in Michigan David's pictures. They drool in envy knowing that I will be right in the heart this beauty this time next week.

David, see ya soon!

Old 01-09-2008, 11:14 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,477,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveFrogs View Post
What do you mean by "inner city" ?

i.e. people who live in the city limits of a place,
or people who live in the CBD?
or people who are impoverished and live in the city?

Wilmington has a lot of environmental and coastal research. UNCW has the Center for Marine Science and Research, there's a NCDENR office in Wilmington, as well as some private labs.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:23 AM

Smile Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity224 View Post
Mr. Sobatta
Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. I would love to just do photographs and write, but I haven't found much money in that yet.

Of course it helps to have good subject matter, and it very beautiful on the Crystal Coast.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:53 PM

Cool Will try to keep the good weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
Yes, David does have quite a talent doesn't he? I often show my friends here in Michigan David's pictures. They drool in envy knowing that I will be right in the heart this beauty this time next week.

David, see ya soon!
I doubt this seventy degree weather is going to hold, but I did see that the next couple of weeks will only have a couple of days where we might not make at least to the fifties.

Even if it is a little cooler, it is still nice when the sun stays out which it does a lot this time of year. The only exception is if there is wind.

Today was the first day we have been on the beach when there were no people in sight. I only saw the tracks of one person and a dog.

There were lots of birds just off shore. It was still pretty even with the clouds stealing most of the sunset.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:07 PM

20 posts, read 61,175 times
There are really no big cities on the coast of NC. Wilmington is larger than Morehead City, Beaufort, and Swansboro, however, it's probably more crowded than the "Crystal Coast." Cartaret County does have a good school system, and there is a community college if your husband wants to teach college level. Wilmington has the UNC at Wilmington and there is a community college in New Bern. If you are interested in the "arts" there are always several things going on on the Crystal Coast and within an hour or two hour drive. BElieve me, anyone that tells you there is nothing to do is definitely wrong! Also, Duke Marine Labs are in the Morehead City area. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina