Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 09:34 AM

27 posts, read 95,765 times

Advertisements

I graduate in a few months with my Bachelor's and I will be looking for work as a Medical Technologist. I currently live in Roanoke, VA, but I'm looking to move out of the area. I'm looking for:

1) Somewhere safe (I feel very safe here and walk downtown with my friends at night a lot)
2) Somewhere that pays well (Most anywhere outside of SW VA will pay better )
3) Somewhere near the beach
4) Somewhere progressive where I can meet a lot of people my age

As much as I love the mountains and rolling foothills, I am ready to graduate and invest in some much needed R&R at the beach. I don't have to be at the beach, just near it. BTW...I LOVE Topsail Island, but I haven't found many job opportunities around there. The area also seems to be a little "slow-moving".

I'm trying to decide if the Norfolk, Va Beach area is better or some places in NC? Friends keep telling me I'll love Raleigh area. I'm worried it may be too big?

Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 11:51 AM

Hmm Why is no one answering this!!! I already know I love NC. I already know I love Topsail and Wilmington is not far from it. Thanks for the help people!!!!! grr

Old 01-27-2008, 12:02 PM

20 posts, read 61,135 times
I don't know anything about the Topsail area or Willmington. But, I do know that Carteret County which includes Morehead City, Beaufort, Emerald Isle, and Newport is a wonderful place to be and have beautiful beaches. There is a lot to do in the area. If you are wanting to work in Willington that would be too far to drive to work but to go for a w/e or day trip only 2 1/2 hrs. There is a hospital in Morehead City and one in New Bern and Jacksonville which would be about an hours drive depending on where you live. I'm surprised no one has answered your question, but I'm sure there will be some posts soon. Good Luck!

Old 01-27-2008, 04:49 PM

103 posts, read 899,732 times
You can check out Cape Fear Hospital and New Hanover Hospital here in Wilmington. The medical fields pay well, and if you decide to contract out you can make oodles of mula.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:12 PM

713 posts, read 3,928,056 times
Smile We have our feet in Roanoke and the salt water

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrtmoosen View Post
I graduate in a few months with my Bachelor's and I will be looking for work as a Medical Technologist. I currently live in Roanoke, VA, but I'm looking to move out of the area. I'm looking for:

1) Somewhere safe (I feel very safe here and walk downtown with my friends at night a lot)
2) Somewhere that pays well (Most anywhere outside of SW VA will pay better )
3) Somewhere near the beach
4) Somewhere progressive where I can meet a lot of people my age

As much as I love the mountains and rolling foothills, I am ready to graduate and invest in some much needed R&R at the beach. I don't have to be at the beach, just near it. BTW...I LOVE Topsail Island, but I haven't found many job opportunities around there. The area also seems to be a little "slow-moving".

I'm trying to decide if the Norfolk, Va Beach area is better or some places in NC? Friends keep telling me I'll love Raleigh area. I'm worried it may be too big?

Any suggestions?

Since we have a home in Roanoke and on the Crystal Coast, I will try to draw some comparisons

First off I think Roanoke's downtown and Farmer's Market area are pretty unique among cities of its size.

There is certainly nothing like that along the Crystal Coast. Towns are smaller and seem to stretch out instead of being concentrated like Roanoke.

New Bern would be the closest and it has a nice downtown and waterfront but I didn't see the same kinds of things that are in the Roanoke Market area that young professionals might like. I could have just missed them.

I also didn't get the feeling that New Bern was a young town, but again I have to qualify by saying maybe we were just in the wrong places.

Jacksonville on the other hand is a very young town, and a military town which has its positives and negatives.

We live close to Jacksonville and enjoy going there except I feel ancient in Target surrounded by all the very young military families.

I can say that the smaller towns along the Crystal Coast, Morehead City, Cedar Point, Emerald Isle, Swansboro and Cape Carteret all seem very safe but they are small towns.

In talking to young people in Morehead City that are your age, I get the feeling that the Crystal Coast might have fewer of people your age than Wilmington, but I also got the impression that the Lake Norman area of Charlotte might have the most of any area in NC, but I have no figures to back it up.

Our three "kids" who grew up in Roanoke, went to Oak Grove, Hidden Valley, and Cave Spring schools all left the Roanoke area for college and never came back. Our youngest daughter lives near Cornelius around Lake Norman not far from Charlotte. The place is crawling with young professionals. Our two older ones are in Northern Virginia which again is full of young professionals.

I also know of Roanoke area graduates who have headed to Charleston and love it. We also have another area graduate who spent his first year or so out of college working near Myrtle Beach. He's now headed to Virginia Beach.

While I think you could probably find a job in one of the three area hospitals, Morehead City, New Bern, or Jacksonville, I have a feeling you might be happier in an area with more excitement.

I have written a lot about our "coastal paradise" along the Southern Outer Banks. It is a place where people kick back and get their enjoyment from walking the beaches, fishing, and boating.

If you want coast I would look at Wilmington, Charleston, and Virginia Beach in that order. If just water and lots of young folks might be okay, I would check out Huntersville or Cornelius near Charlotte.

If you just want jobs and to be within a couple of hours of the beach, the Raleigh area is hard to beat. I don't know Raleigh like I do Charlotte so I can't tell you where the young professionals are concentrated, but you can find the answer to that on the Raleigh forum.

I actually think you will find North Carolina a little less confining than Roanoke.

It takes three hours to get anywhere from Roanoke and unfortunately you have to get on I81 usually. Interstate 40 from Raleigh to the coast is not a bad ride. Charlotte is plagued with bad local traffic as is the Raleigh-Durham area. However, once you get away from the cities, the traffic isn't too bad. Wilmington has traffic but its not like Northern Virginia. Nothing that I have seen in NC compares to the 300 miles of truck traffic on Virginia's Interstate 81.

Roanoke is pretty unique in that the traffic is worse leaving the area than staying in the area.

Even if you don't move to the Carolina coast, you can still come visit the Crystal Coast when the city life wears you out.

We love living here, our kids enjoy visiting, but visiting a place and living there are two completely different things.

Try to think about that when you are making that decision about where to live.

While we have all the services we need where we live near Cape Carteret, we are not young professionals, and I know my two daughters might object to a 25 minute drive to get to their local Target. My son could care less. As long as FedEx delivers packages, he's fine.

We moved to the coast, because I needed a change from Roanoke where we had lived and worked for eighteen years.

It's not that Roanoke is better or worse than Cape Carteret, it's just very different.

The small town part of the NC Coast is also a place where activities in the out of doors define most people's lives. Croatan National Forest, the Emerald Isle Beaches, and Bogue Sound provide most of the entertainment except for local festivals like the Mullet Festival in Swansboro. Mullet equals fish not hair.

Good luck finding the right spot.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:14 PM

15 posts, read 68,081 times
Wilmington is a great place for people in the medical field and the pricing is not too bad. It has been ranked in the top 10 cities for where to buy now for the most appreciation over the next 5 years by CNNmoney.com, and despite what you read on some posts, just got a high job ranking too by one of those other business mags. Brunswick County is really growing and your dollar stretches farther there, but you are farther from the beach if you stay close to Wilmington in northern Brunswick County.

The downtown scene is pretty neat, and I am sure you would find lots of friends at the hospital. Check out New Hanover Regional Medical Center which is part of New Hanover Health Networks. I think Wilmington is the medical hub for the southeast NC region.
People are pretty friendly here too I am told.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:42 PM

Thanks! Finally lots of GREAT ADVICE I think I may send the links to my parents and let them read on about it. I'm sure they would feel better knowing more about these places.

I'm sorta torn... on the one hand I like the social scene here in downtown Roanoke with being so close to everything. On the other hand, I don't want my 20's social life to be just barhopping every weekend. So I'm hoping moving somewhere like Wilmington where there are promising job opportunities, culturally diverse entertainment and THE BEACH will make me feel a little more stable and lot less suffocated than I do now.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:44 PM

What do you mean contract out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Daisy View Post
You can check out Cape Fear Hospital and New Hanover Hospital here in Wilmington. The medical fields pay well, and if you decide to contract out you can make oodles of mula.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:05 AM

108 posts, read 374,937 times
dont move to wilmington unless u like to pay $14 for a cheeseburger. overpriced city

Old 01-29-2008, 10:44 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbottles View Post
dont move to wilmington unless u like to pay $14 for a cheeseburger. overpriced city
oh come on. it isn't that bad.

For $14, I can go to a restaurant downtown, get a grilled wahoo sandwich, onion rings, two pints of imported beer, and tip the bartender.

the things that strike me as expensive about Wilmington are the housing and taxes. Groceries can be expensive downtown, since there isn't a major supermarket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina