Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 12:21 PM

116 posts, read 513,989 times

Advertisements

do they have hurricanes or tornadoes in outer banks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 01:12 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Default The Outer Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynettam View Post
do they have hurricanes or tornadoes in outer banks
Hurricanes do visit the Outer Banks. It is a fact of life, and they get hit hard fairly often.
Tornadoes are not a concern.
My cell phone works well.
High speed internet access is available.
People do live there year round, with many families roots going back many generations, but population swells greatly in the summer vacation season.

You should visit.
OBX, Avon Hatteras Island, in particular, is one of my favorite places on Earth. There is almost nothing "to do" there, so one's ability to enjoy relaxing and catching up on reading is a valuable asset.
Most of Hatteras Island is National Park Service operated, including most beachfront. This has controlled much development, and leads to a little strife with long-term permanent residents.
It is a vacation place to fall in love with, but if you need a large town around you, you are likely to be happier elsewhere. Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devils Hill area is the largest concentration of year round population, I think due to easiest access to the mainland.

The Outer Banks stretches from just south of the VA/NC line to Portsmouth Island.
Ocracoke Island is the southernmost populated island in the OBX. It is accessible only by ferry or boat.

Old 01-01-2007, 02:17 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
An analysis of the climatology of tornadoes in North Carolina for a period of 53 years (1950-2003) is performed using tornado data obtained from the National Climatic Data Center (NCDC) and the National Severe Storms Laboratory (NSSL).

Old 01-01-2007, 02:21 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,928 times
So the statistical range is seeing less than one every 50 years or seeing less than one every year.
Interesting.
Bill

Old 01-01-2007, 02:23 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Whoops...
But, are these tornadoes not the by-product of hurricanes, as opposed to typical independent "Tornado Alley" activity?
If not, I stand corrected on my "Tornadoes are not a concern."

Old 01-01-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Whoops...
But, are these tornadoes not the by-product of hurricanes, as opposed to typical independent "Tornado Alley" activity?
If not, I stand corrected on my "Tornadoes are not a concern."
Both, but I agree with you that tornado activity in not much of a concern in NC compared to some other U.S. regions. You're much more likely to be killed or injured by lightning strikes in NC. NC ranks number 4 or 5 for that.

Last edited by mm34b; 01-01-2007 at 02:43 PM..

Old 01-01-2007, 05:43 PM

As a 25 year resident of the coast of North Carolina, the notion of coastal NC as a hazardous tornado or lightning strike locale really baffled me. Tornado's and lightning are a non-issue.
According to the US National Lightning Detection Center-Coastal NC averages 2 to 4 lightning flashes per square kilometer per year. (http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/images/map.pdf)
So to sum it all up-Cartert County-The coastal tornado hot spot- has less than one tornado a year and a sq.KM has no more than 4 flashes (not even strikes) per year.
Bill

Old 01-01-2007, 06:08 PM

NC averages around 4 to 5 death per year to lightning. For tornadoes, around 1 to 2 deaths per year. I haven't heard the final tally from the November tornado in Riegelwood, but I think it was 8 deaths. Some years are high and some low or none at all.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:41 AM

Riegelwood-which is inland of Wilmington about 20 miles- was very much a fluke and not the norm.

To say or imply that coastal NC is a hazardous tornado or lightning strike location is simply wrong. Maybe you are confusing coastal with coastal plains/sandhills which can go some 100+ miles inland from the actual coast
and includes places like Goldsboro and fayetteville.
Heck-Now that I think of it-Sometimes the mountains suffer horrible hurricane damage while we down here on the coast are relatively unscathed. Remeber Hurricanes Frances and Ivan in September 2004??
10+ inches of rain fell on the mountains creating flooding and rock slides while we here on the coast had less than a inch of rain.
http://www.geology.enr.state.nc.us/L..._sept_2004.htm

Bill

Old 01-02-2007, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Riegelwood-which is inland of Wilmington about 20 miles- was very much a fluke and not the norm.

To say or imply that coastal NC is a hazardous tornado or lightning strike location is simply wrong. Maybe you are confusing coastal with coastal plains/sandhills which can go some 100+ miles inland from the actual coast
and includes places like Goldsboro and fayetteville.
Heck-Now that I think of it-Sometimes the mountains suffer horrible hurricane damage while we down here on the coast are relatively unscathed. Remeber Hurricanes Frances and Ivan in September 2004??
10+ inches of rain fell on the mountains creating flooding and rock slides while we here on the coast had less than a inch of rain.
http://www.geology.enr.state.nc.us/L..._sept_2004.htm

Bill
Calm down Bill, no one is disputing your statements. If you look at my posts again, I indicated North Carolina, in general.

Last edited by mm34b; 01-02-2007 at 07:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina