Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 02:49 AM

79 posts, read 318,531 times

Advertisements

[quote=cpg;5634310]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzyhall22@comcast.net View Post
Hi all. My name is Lizzy (Sheba). I'm 23 and the mommy of 2 beautiful girls. I am also a wife to my wonderful husband Sam.

We will be moving to the OBX within the next 2 months. I've lived there before and my daddy and his family live there. My question is how is the economy? I know that most work there is seasonal. Will my family survive and survive well or is it sink/i

hello i have been here for 4 yrs and i am from ny do you husband a favor and stay a tourist(or the locals would call you a "TOURON) the pay is on avg 12$$ it is crazy trust me the locals think us northerners are annoying they tell me this "do you know the difference between a yankee and damn yankee??? a yankee just visits obx, a damn yankee stays here??trust me dont do itquote]
As far as the northern jokes are concerned,you'll hear them all over the south.It's nothing I'd take seriously.There's plenty of northerners who have lived and worked here for years,own businesses and are very involved it the OBX community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 07:59 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obxfisherman View Post
.It's hard to imagine how far we've come in the last 20 years and with an improving economy,I don't see anything that'll derail this freight train.
Marc Basnight's not in the General Assembly any more; the cash faucet from Raleigh's been shut off. People may grumble about his style, but pork built the beach. The outer banks are gonna go through some rougher times soon enough.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Marc Basnight's not in the General Assembly any more; the cash faucet from Raleigh's been shut off. People may grumble about his style, but pork built the beach. The outer banks are gonna go through some rougher times soon enough.
I don't see it happening,unless the economy falls back into recession.We've been through some tough times recently,but things are looking up!

People want to be here,period.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:51 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obxfisherman View Post
I don't see it happening,unless the economy falls back into recession.We've been through some tough times recently,but things are looking up!
Wall Street and the Federal government is out of recession but not many other people. NC is looking at a 3.7 billion dollar deficit. In December Dare county unemployment hit 14.2%. On the plus side there are plenty of excellent deals on the almost 1,000 homes for sale between Nags Head and Kitty Hawk.

Good times indeed.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Wall Street and the Federal government is out of recession but not many other people. NC is looking at a 3.7 billion dollar deficit. In December Dare county unemployment hit 14.2%. On the plus side there are plenty of excellent deals on the almost 1,000 homes for sale between Nags Head and Kitty Hawk.

Good times indeed.
The unemployment rate is always high during the winter,due to the seasonality factor.The unemployment rate was over 17% in early 2010,but fell to the 6% range last summer,which was one of the lowest rates in the state.

There's exactly 621 mobile,single family homes and condos, on the market from Kitty Hawk to Nags Head,including Colington.Where do you see 1000 homes?
Sales are on the rise locally.The current inventory is near it's lowest level in years,in spite of the foreclosures.Homes placed under contract in Feb of 2011 were up 26% over Feb 2010.

http://outerbanksrealtors.com/cms/bm...ertyreport.pdf

2010 was one of are busiest years ever and 2011 is shaping up to be just as strong,if not better,based on reservations.

Yep,my glass is half full,for the OBX anyway......And no I'm not a real estate agent

Last edited by obxfisherman; 03-13-2011 at 12:47 PM..

Old 03-17-2011, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 8,829 times
I love the OBX. My son was born there, but it is tough to live there especially for young families. The only industry is the service industry/tourism. The people are superfriendly, the hardcore locals can be distant towards , non-southeners/tourists, but that is only a small amount of the population. My advice? get yourself a trade or a skill and start your own business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina