Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 03:43 AM

3 posts, read 7,212 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to visit Wilmington next summer. Anyone from that area on here? If so could you give me some information about the area? (Heavy tourist traffic during the summer season? Campgrounds have openings steadily through the summer? Etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 04:41 AM

843 posts, read 2,746,560 times
I lived a bit north of Wilmington (Topsail; assuming you mean NC) for 6-7 years and spent a lot of time down there. When I left in '00, it was still fairly small in size. I was talking to a guy last weekend that's from there and visits his mom on a regular basis and he said I wouldn't recognize it at all. Apparently it's blown up in size, with 8-lane roads leading in and out, and is pretty congested on a regular basis so I'd imagine it's pretty bad during the summers.

You might have better luck on the NC boards, though

And might I suggest Topsail itself as a potential destination. You'd only be 15-20 minutes north of Wilmington and you can camp right on the beach at the north end of it

Old 10-08-2008, 04:53 AM

Thanks for the information! I'll check out your town.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:53 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
tourist season can get really bad. it depends on what you are looking for. if you are just looking to go to the beach, there are some more quiet beaches around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritualsin View Post
I'm looking to visit Wilmington next summer. Anyone from that area on here? If so could you give me some information about the area? (Heavy tourist traffic during the summer season? Campgrounds have openings steadily through the summer? Etc.)

Old 10-08-2008, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,766 times
Default Wanting to move to Wilmingto

Hello my name is Michael I am planning on moving to Wilmington, or Boiling Spring Lakes North Carolina within the next few months. Is does anyone have any information about Boiling Spring Lakes? Is it a good place for my wife and I? How big is the population? Is there much do to? Is it affected badly from hurricanes?

Old 10-08-2008, 03:40 PM

2 posts, read 4,766 times
Default Moving to Wilmington

Hello my name is Michael I am planning on moving to Wilmington, or Boiling Spring Lakes North Carolina within the next few months. Is does anyone have any information about Boiling Spring Lakes? Is it a good place for my wife and I? How big is the population? Is there much do to? Is it affected badly from hurricanes?

Old 10-08-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
tourist season can get really bad. it depends on what you are looking for. if you are just looking to go to the beach, there are some more quiet beaches around here.
I am in fact just looking to go for a couple days, and I'd like to camp. I'm from Michigan, and my girlfriend and I just plan to drive down that way next summer. Any place we could camp and still be within a reasonable driving distance from the beach would be awesome, or ever camping on the beach for that matter. Could you recommend any beaches in the area that aren't completely ridden with tourists all summer long?

Old 10-09-2008, 05:58 AM

2 posts, read 3,967 times
No jobs...rude people...horrible traffic...threat of hurricanes...other than that its great.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:50 PM

116 posts, read 532,990 times
Here's one possibility for you, Carolina Beach State Park is 20 minutes south of Wilmington.

Camping Info
N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: Carolina Beach State Park - Activities

Map
carolina beach state park - Google Maps

Old 10-09-2008, 06:24 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
haha. man. I would say to head north. the person who suggested topsail is right. if you head south into brunswick county, you might run into more people since it's halfway between wilmington and myrtle. I went to topsail during tourist season during the week, and it wasn't bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritualsin View Post
I am in fact just looking to go for a couple days, and I'd like to camp. I'm from Michigan, and my girlfriend and I just plan to drive down that way next summer. Any place we could camp and still be within a reasonable driving distance from the beach would be awesome, or ever camping on the beach for that matter. Could you recommend any beaches in the area that aren't completely ridden with tourists all summer long?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina