Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2009, 05:37 AM

5 posts, read 12,133 times

Advertisements

I'm a 25 yr old single male. I am thinking of moving to NC. I work in financial services/investments. I've heard that Raleigh and Charlotte would be the best for a single, young professional. I'm trying to figure out where would be the best area for me. Are specific areas (Charlotte seems to be broken up in to lots of sub sections) for someone like myself. I'm looking for a place I can find a job, somewhat cheap housing, and nightlife that consists of people around my age. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 07:25 AM

23 posts, read 85,907 times
I would think Raleigh is a better option. Charlotte is more of a "family" city but it also a big hub for financial institutions. I do have to warn you...the NC night life is nothing in comparison to up north! Come down and see for yourself ;-) One more thing...if you currently live on the coast and move that far inland be prepared for the intense heat in the summer months! As far as housing goes, both areas are feasible depending on what you consider “cheap”……

Old 03-11-2009, 07:43 AM

917 posts, read 2,299,484 times
For sure Raleigh, as there are quite a few colleges just in Raleigh alone, so the ages would be in keeping with yours. You can probably find a decent 1 bedroom apt. for 650 and up. You don't say what city or state you are from but the other poster is right about the summer heat! I came here from New England 22 years ago and I'm still not used to it! You just have to stay in the air conditioning from June till Oct. unless you go to the beach, which by the way is 2 hrs from Raleigh.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:52 AM

713 posts, read 3,929,917 times
Smile I would not write off the Charlotte area

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdolo42 View Post
I'm a 25 yr old single male. I am thinking of moving to NC. I work in financial services/investments. I've heard that Raleigh and Charlotte would be the best for a single, young professional. I'm trying to figure out where would be the best area for me. Are specific areas (Charlotte seems to be broken up in to lots of sub sections) for someone like myself. I'm looking for a place I can find a job, somewhat cheap housing, and nightlife that consists of people around my age. Thanks.
The area around Lake Norman just north (under 20 miles) of Charlotte is a young person's paradise. If you look for housing in Huntersville or Cornelius you will be at the heart of it all. Those would be exits 25 and 28 respectively on Interstate 77.

There are plenty of bars, restaurants, shopping and lots of life on the water in that area. Housing is also reasonably priced there.

Our youngest daughter also 27 graduated from UNC Charlotte and stayed in the area. They love it. It is rapidly developing with lots of people from all areas of the states. I doubt there is any young person who would not love the area. It is a very young area with lots of people getting together for parties and fun.

Traffic can be bad on I77 but it is no worse than I40 between Raleigh and Chapel Hill.

The trade off is that you are farther from the beach in Charlotte but closer to the mountains.

I don't know how the financial sector jobs are, but Charlotte has a big financial community.

Good luck, if you end visiting at exit 28, try Big Bitz for lunch, Cookhouse for breakfast, or Mac's Bar & Grille for some great barbecue.

Last edited by dsobotta; 03-11-2009 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: left out word

Old 03-11-2009, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,010 times
Boswell Capital Group in Wilmington is looking for financial consultants.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:59 AM

214 posts, read 822,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmingtondevil View Post
Boswell Capital Group in Wilmington is looking for financial consultants.
Better Business Bureau flooded with complaints against Boswell
I don't think that would be a good idea as evidenced today in the Wilmington Star News

Old 03-14-2009, 06:37 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
I continue to be amazed by "MOST" people thinking North Carolina is basically Raleigh and Charlotte. There are lots of other places to live and do very well.

I would not follow the rest of the sheep and only check out or consider Raleigh or Charlotte. I think the luster of Charlotte has fallen significantly with the downturn in the economy. I expect financial "experts" are a dime a dozen there now.

What do you like to do? The state has just about everything you can think of. Locate where your interests are. By the way, small towns have purty girls, too!

lln

Old 03-14-2009, 06:48 PM

43 posts, read 146,859 times
Try any of the college towns. I'm thinking the Greensboro area might work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina