Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 09:51 AM

94 posts, read 460,575 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to do the beach wedding thing, and NC really appeals to me. I would like to go either before Memorial Day or after Labor Day. Is there any coastal towns that have a nice beach with a more laid back feeling, instead of the hustle and bustle associated with some of the towns on the Outher Banks. Any info would help. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 05:45 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,670,656 times
The beaches should be quieter if you choose post-Labor day...if mobility isn't a problem for any of your wedding party you could go out to Cape Lookout Natl. Seashore and have your wedding there--it's quite wild and completely undeveloped. You have to access it by hired boat or ferry, then you'd have a bit of a hike on a wooden walkway to the beach. The Cape Lookout lighthouse would make a great backdrop for your wedding photo's...vivid black and white striped...

Another option is Ocracoke, an island accessed by ferry boat from Hatteras...its beach was voted 'best beach' last year....and Ocracoke town is darling and would be great for a honeymoon. Romantic little inns to nest in...

Pine Knoll Shores and Emerald Isle in Carteret County are known for beach weddings and there are wedding planners who can put together the whole thing for you...neat beach houses to rent...again, after Labor Day would be your best bet for fewer crowds...

Congratulations on your up-coming wedding...

Old 04-08-2009, 07:27 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,887 times
Default reply

Little Dolphin was dead on right. I went to a very nice wedding reception last summer at the NC Aquarium at PKS. I have been told that it is very reasonable. What kind of wedding and reception are you thinking about?

Old 04-08-2009, 08:38 PM

713 posts, read 3,929,917 times
Smile Beach wedding pictures

Last Memorial Day we were over at the Third St. beach access on Emerald Isle. Just as we were getting there, a couple which included a bride in bridal dress were getting on a bike made for two and heading off. We continued off on our beach walk and came upon the chairs that had been set up for the wedding. The first couple of pictures of this web page are the wedding chairs. Just click on a picture for a larger view. When we got back from our walk, there were a couple of people there picking up the palms. They said that they do several beach weddings each year. I have also seen a couple of weddings done on the beach at Fort Macon. Third St. is fairly isolated and only has parking for a few cars so it would be pretty private.

Last edited by dsobotta; 04-08-2009 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: wrong word

Old 04-08-2009, 11:01 PM

444 posts, read 1,615,335 times
I am baffled by the, hutle bustle of Outerbanks. The dates you have picked will find the Outerbanks very very slow and laid back. Ocracoke is a long way to travel. And I can't agree on accomodations, sorry. Our room was filthy.

Good Luck.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:51 AM

94 posts, read 460,575 times
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. The wedding party would only consist of 6 people (bride and groom included). So parking and what not isn't that important. We are looking for a really low-key ceremony, and then have a nice reception back home here in NY. We will check out these places...and again, thank you for all your help!

Old 04-09-2009, 03:54 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
My brother-in-law, Ronnie Dale, married his second wife Tammy Lynn on the beach at Oak Island. Uncle Everett tied the knot.

We went for the reception shrimp dinner at the Kountry Kitchen (I think it has closed now, though).

Special.

lln

Old 04-09-2009, 06:06 PM

43 posts, read 147,805 times
In SE NC, Fort Fisher is a very popular location for weddings.

Some info:
~Bella’s Life on the Island~ » Blog Archive » Fort Fisher NC, A Romantic Wedding Destination

Old 04-11-2009, 07:35 AM

128 posts, read 628,320 times
The last beach wedding in the outer banks that I photographed was at the entrance to Southern Shores. It was at a residence but I've heard of plenty of places near by. Just south of Nags Head is Coquina Beach. That should accomodate your size group. As a photographer just remember a few things. Our area has a mild temperature and the crowds at the beach will be there thru October, Saturdays & Sunday are the most crowded. My best suggestion would be to have the ceremony during the week and my professional advice would be towards sunset. Good luck. www.bsvirginian.smugmug.com

Old 04-14-2009, 07:08 PM

419 posts, read 1,397,806 times
Check out Bald Head Island. Very laid back. No cars on the island. Has kind of a Martha's Vinyard

Bald Head Island, NC | Beach Vacations, Rentals, Property For Sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina