Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2009, 12:55 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times

Advertisements

Not sure if u would call it coastal, but haven't really gotten any responses in the general NC forum.

I'll be moving to Goldsboro soon to be their local Marine Corps Representative (aka recruiter). I have the option to live on the AFB but would much rather live out in town. I'm a native North Carolinian, originally from Havelock (in fact I'll have a house on the Market in June/July for anyone interested), and my wife is from Jones County, with her paternal family being from Morehead City.

What neighborhoods/school district would be best to live in.

Right now we're looking at places by Ash on Holly st in the heart of Goldsboro, a place around the Dudley/Brogden area off 117, a place around Pikeville, and a place around rosewood, closer to Princeton.

Can anybody give me any info on these areas or suggest another area, or an area to stay away from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 04:11 PM

3 posts, read 22,206 times
Default Goldsboro

Hey, when are you planning on moving to GB? I'm actually moving to New Bern toward the end of the year as the local Air Force recruiter. Right now I live on the corner of Audubon Ave and Park Ave and I love it. You have to be careful though in Goldsboro. Its what the locals call "pocketed". Its really a strange town in that way. You can live in a really nice area, then walk 3 blocks and be in Ghetto, then walk another 3 blocks and be back in a really nice area. The whole town seems to be that way. Ash street is a VERY busy street so if your planning on living right next to it you will probably be listening to some street noise. Are you looking to rent or buy? If you are looking to purchase, I highly recommend talking to a man named Ed Swindell. He's a local buyers agent and an absolutely great guy. He found our house for us when we came here and we still talk to him regularly. His number is 919-223-0222 if your interested. If you have children that are school age you probably what to send them to the Eastern Wayne schools out off New Hope Road. The local HS can be pretty rough from what I hear. I don't know first hand, thats just what others have said. All and all I really like the town. We've met some really great people and had a good time since arriving. I really hate to leave but I hear good things about New Bern too. If you have any other questions let me know and I'll be happy to help you out. Good luck with everything.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:49 AM

Funny how we have mirror situations. Right now we have it narrowed down to a place on S. oleander that seems to be anice quiet neighborhood,a place up 117 towards pikeville, and a place down 117 in the brogden school district. Both of my kids are elementary school age.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:12 PM

7 posts, read 19,183 times
Hi
We just got here a month ago and got a house in Walnut Creek Village. We looked down town but where told by our real estate agent not to bother, due to bad schools and ghetto areas close by. He told us that down town houses were harder to sell.
So why did we choose Walnut Creek, there is good schools, excellent area to bike around, tennis courts, play area, golf course, swimming pool. Also a national park 10 minute drive that has a little beach and swimming area. Plus you are only 15 - 20 minutes away from base.
We did look at Pikeville but we didn't find a house that we liked, We do know that a lot of officers buy there. It has a good school system.
Hope that helps a little.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:16 PM

7 posts, read 19,183 times
Hi
We also used Zillow.com to help us find an area. They have the local schools on there and are connected to a website that tells you what is close by to the house you are looking at.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,373 times
I agree--talk to the man named ED SWINDELL--he will find you exactly what you want--he sure did for us!

Old 06-03-2009, 02:39 PM

My wife ended up getting this place. big house in a big yard, in Belfast between goldsboro & pikeville on hwy 117.

http://www.goldsbororentals.com/listings/index.php?action=listingview&listingID=315 (broken link)

Old 06-24-2009, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,255 times
i own a house south of the downtown area of Goldsboro, but i have n't live there in thirty plus years. i know the city has changed since i lived .But, I don't understand why no one wants to live in that area anymore . Could someone fill me in?

Old 11-18-2009, 06:36 AM
clj

1 posts, read 2,858 times
Smile The house and area that nobody wants to live in

Quote:
Originally Posted by decoratorjr View Post
i own a house south of the downtown area of Goldsboro, but i have n't live there in thirty plus years. i know the city has changed since i lived .But, I don't understand why no one wants to live in that area anymore . Could someone fill me in?
I am from Maryland and I want to move south in the Carolina area. I was wondering, was you trying to rent the property out for approx. 6 months to a year. If so maybe you can send me some pictures of the place. I am bringing along my son and daughter. They have just finished high school. I just want a slower pace enviroment for them to live.
You can email me back if you are interested. [EMAIL="cjoyner@mailaka.net"]cjoyner@mailaka.net[/EMAIL]
Thanks Willie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina