Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 11:22 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,844,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robma44541 View Post
I quite agree with you, I'd like to think of my glass as being half full!
I really think Thefinalsay is bluffing in order to keep outsiders from moving here! He really likes it here but won't admit it, wants to keep it for himself.
Please let us know where the Wilmington Junior Symphony plays, we would love to go see them. Thanks.
actually, no. I give people advice all the time. I will tell the truth though. I never said it was a horrible place to live, but it's nothing special, and jobs are scarce. this is a fact. why would I try to keep "outsiders" from moving here? I was born in detroit and I grew up in DC. this isn't my town. facts are facts. unemployment in NC is very high, and tourist areas are hit the hardest. I will probably be selling my house soon, so I don't benefit at all from bad mouthing the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 11:26 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNesters View Post
So much of life is a matter of perspective! Florida 15 moans about not much to do here and that when they moved here there weren't all these places that there are now (such as Mayfaire, Costco, etc., etc.) Thefinalsay poster bemoans that this place isn't what it was 10 years ago! My personal very humble opinion is that the area has improved from 13 years ago when we first built our house here in Hampstead. We have enjoyed Mayfaire and that whole Military Cut-off area very much. Speaking for our area, I am thrilled that the kids here have the new park and it is wonderful when I take the grandkids there to see soccer and base ball going full swing. We toured the new high school, Topsail High, and it was beautiful. The baseball team went to the state championship game this year, as they did last year.(Didn't win, but hey, number two in the state?! That is wonderful!) The high school has a great program to build electric cars and have won awards for their vehicles. This year the Topsail golf team won the state championship! I love our nice little library and seems like everyone in the community does, too. And I agree with Robma that there is a lot to do here if you look around and take advantage of it. One of my very favorite things we have done is go to the Wilmington Symphony Youth Orchestra concerts. For $5, we have enjoyed some wonderful Sunday afternoon concerts and seeing the young people involved in this wholesome activity is very inspiring.The natural beauty of the beaches and marshes is fun to enjoy here. Love the sea turtle hospital on Topsail Island and enjoy the atmosphere at Wrightsville Beach when we have ventured over there. Crime everywhere in this country is somewhat of a problem if you aren't cautious about where you are and what you are doing...but you don't have to be paranoid... I spent most of the day in different parts of Wilmington running errands and going to appointments and was just careful and no problem...haven't had a problem in the thirteen years here. We have never had a problem in our Hampstead neighborhood either(knock on wood!) There is a lot I cannot address since it is out of my "realm of knowledge," like the job market and Leland area and what life is like there. I did visit someone in Waterford the other day, and I have to say that it was a breeze going down there from Hampstead on the by-pass. I thought Waterford was really pretty, although it seemed very "dense" with homes and seemed "tight", but it did have a nice clubhouse, lovely homes and sidewalks and some nice amenities close by. To the original poster - you have a big decision, and it must be kind of maddening with all these opinions on here....everyone is entitled to theirs for sure. When you use these forums a bit, you learn which posters are the "glass half full" folks and which are the "glass half empty", and I guess you have to know what your own perspective on life is! Certainly hope you can get down here to take a good hard look around at some time before making a decision based on other's opinions. Well, this is probably enough of mine. Have to rest up to go pick blueberries tomorrow!
yup. 10 years ago, wilmington had half the population, and the same roads. I am glad you like military cutoff now, but how did you like it for the 4 years it was under construction?

as for this comment:
"There is a lot I cannot address since it is out of my "realm of knowledge," like the job market"

I rest my case. there is no job market here. if a job isn't important, and you feel the need to live at the beach, by all means come on down.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:26 AM

698 posts, read 3,267,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNesters View Post
So much of life is a matter of perspective! Florida 15 moans about not much to do here and that when they moved here there weren't all these places that there are now (such as Mayfaire, Costco, etc., etc.) Thefinalsay poster bemoans that this place isn't what it was 10 years ago! My personal very humble opinion is that the area has improved from 13 years ago when we first built our house here in Hampstead. We have enjoyed Mayfaire and that whole Military Cut-off area very much. Speaking for our area, I am thrilled that the kids here have the new park and it is wonderful when I take the grandkids there to see soccer and base ball going full swing. We toured the new high school, Topsail High, and it was beautiful. The baseball team went to the state championship game this year, as they did last year.(Didn't win, but hey, number two in the state?! That is wonderful!) The high school has a great program to build electric cars and have won awards for their vehicles. This year the Topsail golf team won the state championship! I love our nice little library and seems like everyone in the community does, too. And I agree with Robma that there is a lot to do here if you look around and take advantage of it. One of my very favorite things we have done is go to the Wilmington Symphony Youth Orchestra concerts. For $5, we have enjoyed some wonderful Sunday afternoon concerts and seeing the young people involved in this wholesome activity is very inspiring.The natural beauty of the beaches and marshes is fun to enjoy here. Love the sea turtle hospital on Topsail Island and enjoy the atmosphere at Wrightsville Beach when we have ventured over there. Crime everywhere in this country is somewhat of a problem if you aren't cautious about where you are and what you are doing...but you don't have to be paranoid... I spent most of the day in different parts of Wilmington running errands and going to appointments and was just careful and no problem...haven't had a problem in the thirteen years here. We have never had a problem in our Hampstead neighborhood either(knock on wood!) There is a lot I cannot address since it is out of my "realm of knowledge," like the job market and Leland area and what life is like there. I did visit someone in Waterford the other day, and I have to say that it was a breeze going down there from Hampstead on the by-pass. I thought Waterford was really pretty, although it seemed very "dense" with homes and seemed "tight", but it did have a nice clubhouse, lovely homes and sidewalks and some nice amenities close by. To the original poster - you have a big decision, and it must be kind of maddening with all these opinions on here....everyone is entitled to theirs for sure. When you use these forums a bit, you learn which posters are the "glass half full" folks and which are the "glass half empty", and I guess you have to know what your own perspective on life is! Certainly hope you can get down here to take a good hard look around at some time before making a decision based on other's opinions. Well, this is probably enough of mine. Have to rest up to go pick blueberries tomorrow!
I totally agree that the place has improved. As I said before,it has come a long way in the five and a half years we've been here,but it still has a long way to go. Our opinions have nothing to do with our "glass half full or empty" personalities. It has to do with being real and honest which is what the original poster ask for. I've always been a positive,upbeat person. This is only our experience and we were sharing it to keep them from possibly making the same mistake we did.....that's all. You can't make something out of something that is not here.....believe me,we have tried. We did not want it to work out this way and had no intention of moving again. Yes.....everyone has to make their own choices based on their desires and needs,not on someone else's experience. It's all in what kind of lifestyle and quality of life you want. I would strongly recommend that they rent for a year to make sure this is where they want to be before buying. If we had done that,we wouldn't be here now. On the plus side though....we will make a nice profit on our home which will help tremendously on our relocation expenses. Best of luck to everyone.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:30 AM

49 posts, read 150,806 times
I think the job situation is not a "wilmington only" problem. You are probably never going to find the perfect city but for us Wilmington is pretty close. Yes, traffic is bad at times, crime downtown is bad and the economy is bad but I think you must try to find the good no matter where you are. Wilmington has a lot to offer. I don't think it matters what the area was like 10+ yrs ago. Living in the past is not good. Renting is probably a good idea if one is unsure of the area. I've lived in several different parts of the country and I think the positives of Wilmington far outweight the negatives!

Old 06-23-2009, 10:16 AM

67 posts, read 208,476 times
WM,

How many homes are in Marsh Oaks?

How many kids?

Our kids range in age from 5 to 13...good fit?

Are there ball fields/ parks for the older kids?

Old 06-23-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmingtonmom View Post
I think the job situation is not a "wilmington only" problem. You are probably never going to find the perfect city but for us Wilmington is pretty close. Yes, traffic is bad at times, crime downtown is bad and the economy is bad but I think you must try to find the good no matter where you are. Wilmington has a lot to offer. I don't think it matters what the area was like 10+ yrs ago. Living in the past is not good. Renting is probably a good idea if one is unsure of the area. I've lived in several different parts of the country and I think the positives of Wilmington far outweight the negatives!
who's living in the past? all I said was that wilmington was better 10 years ago. that's back when it was kind of a secret, and now all of long island has moved here, and that's not a good thing. that's the only point I am trying to make. that and the city planning in this city is the worst I have ever seen.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:39 AM

116 posts, read 425,661 times
I apologise for my assessment of your opinions and I agree that many jobs are low paid around here because most of them are in the service industry, which is a fact all over the country, and yes its because this is a tourist area. But there are jobs available, 149 listed at the Job center, and hundreds on Craigs list, Monster, etc.
The benefits of living by the coast are the upside of this area, we don't have to spend money travelling to the beach for a vacation, friends and family love to come visit unlike up north where I have to disagree on your assessment of the weather along the east coast, 28 years of 6 month long winters with freezing rain, ice storms, 20 below temps when your car doesn't even start, not to mention shoveling 100+ inches of snow, does not compare to the mild winters on this end of the east coast.
2 hot months in the summer is less painful! Maybe thats why people are coming to the area to them the benefits outweigh those winters.
Florida is also a heavy service sector state, with low paying jobs and 6 months of blistering heat, as are most southern states.
Weather plays a big part in my life, so I deal with the negatives as best I can.
Good luck selling your house and in your search for a better life in a better place.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:47 AM

116 posts, read 425,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
who's living in the past? all I said was that wilmington was better 10 years ago. that's back when it was kind of a secret, and now all of long island has moved here, and that's not a good thing. that's the only point I am trying to make. that and the city planning in this city is the worst I have ever seen.

I thought you said you didn't bad mouth outsiders coming to Wilmington?

Old 06-23-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I apologise for my assessment of your opinions and I agree that many jobs are low paid around here because most of them are in the service industry, which is a fact all over the country, and yes its because this is a tourist area. But there are jobs available, 149 listed at the Job center, and hundreds on Craigs list, Monster, etc.
The benefits of living by the coast are the upside of this area, we don't have to spend money travelling to the beach for a vacation, friends and family love to come visit unlike up north where I have to disagree on your assessment of the weather along the east coast, 28 years of 6 month long winters with freezing rain, ice storms, 20 below temps when your car doesn't even start, not to mention shoveling 100+ inches of snow, does not compare to the mild winters on this end of the east coast.
2 hot months in the summer is less painful! Maybe thats why people are coming to the area to them the benefits outweigh those winters.
Florida is also a heavy service sector state, with low paying jobs and 6 months of blistering heat, as are most southern states.
Weather plays a big part in my life, so I deal with the negatives as best I can.
Good luck selling your house and in your search for a better life in a better place.
haha. I am going to lake champlain on saturday and I can't wait! I bet you I will be able to get a spot at one of their beaches.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I thought you said you didn't bad mouth outsiders coming to Wilmington?
I'm from the DC area. it's my duty to badmouth new yorkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina