Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 05:12 PM

68 posts, read 193,153 times

Advertisements

looking for boating fun, tubing, wakeboarding etc, snorkeling, good schools, low crime, growing economy, other than that whats my options. any advice appreciated thanks

also debating NC vs SC any input thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 05:50 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
New Bern could be great, but after living here several years the mayor and aldermen are morons, nincompoops, popinjays, whatever. Would not move here until that crowd is gone!

lln

Old 07-15-2009, 07:05 PM

713 posts, read 3,928,633 times
Smile Still believe in Cape Carteret area

We have been in the Cape Carteret area for three years. I still believe the area is a great spot.

There is no question that the schools are good, and there is plenty of fun on the water. We have spent many days having fun on Bogue Inlet. I just came in from watching the sunset on the White Oak River.

The economy is growing, but as with everywhere else things have slowed. However, we continue to get new businesses, and I recently heard that the Walmart in Cedar Point is back on the burner.

On of the advantages of the area is that you can work in Morehead City, New Bern, or Jacksonville if you cannot find a job right in the area.

Morehead City is 20 minutes, New Bern 45 minutes, and Jacksonville about 30 minutes. There is employment at Cherry Point and Camp Lejeune.

Check out my blog about the area and the archive of posts.

It is a small town area, but it has a lot of advantages.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:33 PM

47 posts, read 152,599 times
Hi,

This is my first post here.

I have the chance to relocate for my company, from New England to New Bern. I would like to move to get my wife closer to the ocean. Right now we are about 2 hours from Cape Cod. We vacationed at Atlantic Beach a few years ago and my wife said it reminded her of Hampton Beach, New Hampshire... only your legs don't turn "blue" when you wade in the water! If you could see her face once she is at the beach, lets just say, "when mama is happy, EVERYBODY is happy!"

For me, it would be to never have to endure a cold winter again. If I never shovel another flake of snow it will be too soon!

Our issue, we have two 'younger' children 11 and 13.

Sorry to sound snobby, I mean no harm, but I want/need to have good schools for the kids. The schools in New England are very, very good. I don't want the kids to get bored. Bored = trouble.
Don't get me wrong, I am a product of public schools and I did OK for myself, but, growing up now isn't like growing up "back then" (the late '60s) How are the schools? Catholic schools?

Family is all here, we know NO ONE in NC. So, we will have to make friends, the kids will have to make friends.

I need to be within a reasonable commute to New Bern, Kinston and Greenville. Mainly, New Bern. So, if I am a 40 minute commute to New Bern that would be OK but to make it to Kinston would make it tedious.
Help?

Old 07-18-2009, 01:34 AM

2 posts, read 4,571 times
We moved from RI/MA to NC (in 90) and there are various differences.
I found after some time it is not an either or situation outside of the weather. I can't begin to sum up in a message here the variables. I'll try to give a glimpse...

For instance Schools (I had children in elementary, middle & high) yes, the curriculum was a little easier and for the high school child about a yr easier!
HOWEVER, was that a problem? No, my daughter made straight As honor roll and that qualified her for some bonuses after graduation.

Certainly not a problem for getting into college! Not at all and Duke & UNC are good Colleges. There is also ECU where my other daughter is currently an RN at the University Hospital now. She went through her schooling on Scholarships and had a guaranteed job waiting, now she is getting her masters.

School in RI & the Cape up until we left in the 90s were either Public or Catholic or Private (very expensive).

Here there are so many more options! Public schools (check out Brinson Memorial Elementary which has won honors verses Oaks Rd Elementary School New Bern which is working on test score improvement) vary big time (some are world class schools, some are struggling with low budgets and heavy immigrant or minority populations). In addition there are Charter Schools (Check out Arapahoe Charter School, Arapahoe NC) which my child went to that can be wonderful. It was like Private School for free.

Then there are Religious Schools...not only Catholic (look up St Pauls New Bern NC ) in fact in some towns you may find no Catholic but rather 'Christian Schools'. I never saw so many 'Christian Schools' until moving here. When schools integrated in the 60s many families wanting to remain segregated wanted an option so Churches opened Schools. Baptist is popular here more so than Catholic. (For example look up Wilson Christian Academy in Wilson NC)
Then you have Private Schools (look up Arendell Parrot Academy Kinston NC) they are another option.

Finally there is a large population Home Schooling here as well. With more families wanting to keep the Bible in their lives as well as those that don't like the 'herd mentality' in school these days, they simply Home School. The law is basic parents must be a grad and the child gets 1 State Test each year; but the curriculum is up to you. I home schooled 1 for a year and another grade 1-5 then he entered Middle School.

There is also a program called Early College (check out Craven Early College New Bern NC) where an 8th graded can have the opportunity to instead of go to High School gets to go to the Community College and get not only the High School education but graduate with a two-year Associates Degree. That is a Lottery program.

So rather than one place being 'better' than the other or one place being 'advanced' or 'behind' I'd say it is a matter of choices (isn't most of life). I found what you leave and may think is better may actually be traded for something entirely different. Maybe the level of education is various (depending on where you send them) but what you get for maybe not having the highest curriculum in all the schools you gain too in the Southern Culture.
I have a 15 yr old that says to his teachers "Yes Mam" and "Yes Sir". He knows no other way being born here. His sisters on the other hand coming from RI had to learn to remember that when speaking to their teachers.

I have a family member on the East Providence School Administration Board since the 70s and the last time I visited him in 04 he said "You would not believe how the schools have gone downhill, the demographics have changed so much that I never thought I would see this day, here"

Walking through what was once beautiful East Providence High was nothing less than heartbreaking; it looked like a slum school. They may not all be in such financial crisis or have serious issues but in general respect is down.

So I would say fellow New Englander think more about what are your priorities? Basing it on what you come up with will be much easier than looking at the either / or's.
I can tell you that if you come the beautiful weather will warm your hearts, the shutting down of the town when maybe an inch of snow comes every couple of yrs will tickle you, that likely will long for some foods you can't find here (and will be looking for friends or family to send you if possible) that the traffic will be a relief (what is up with the Iway) none of that here!
One word of advice I got and will share with you; when I was visiting my Dad (born & died in RI) I was complaining about people talking so much at check out lines, holding up the lines about weather chit chat here...He said 'Kiddo, leave the attitude right here in RI, you are on THEIR soil and you transplanted to THEIR Town, if you want to make it you ADAPT to their elements, you learn their ways of the land...so you may bloom, if you insist on the ways from back here then you will buck life and wither there"
He was right, once I got past myself and the 'back home they do it this way' syndrome...life was beautiful here!

As far as Location for example in between Ayden & Vanceboro may be central to the 3 places you mention. I don't know if you want to be in town or the outskirts (in the country) but there are places all in between with at least a Food Lion (Stop & Shop) or a Piggly Wiggly (Almacs/IGA type) as well as the common smaller stores. Wal-Mart is in all the cities you mentioned.

I hope this gives you a little perspective of the variables from a transplanted New England Rose. I think you would love it.

Last edited by Shoreliner; 07-18-2009 at 01:58 AM..

Old 07-18-2009, 05:15 AM

713 posts, read 3,928,633 times
Smile Schools are very good in Carteret County

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsdiesel View Post
Hi,

This is my first post here.

I have the chance to relocate for my company, from New England to New Bern. I would like to move to get my wife closer to the ocean. Right now we are about 2 hours from Cape Cod. We vacationed at Atlantic Beach a few years ago and my wife said it reminded her of Hampton Beach, New Hampshire... only your legs don't turn "blue" when you wade in the water! If you could see her face once she is at the beach, lets just say, "when mama is happy, EVERYBODY is happy!"

For me, it would be to never have to endure a cold winter again. If I never shovel another flake of snow it will be too soon!

Our issue, we have two 'younger' children 11 and 13.

Sorry to sound snobby, I mean no harm, but I want/need to have good schools for the kids. The schools in New England are very, very good. I don't want the kids to get bored. Bored = trouble.
Don't get me wrong, I am a product of public schools and I did OK for myself, but, growing up now isn't like growing up "back then" (the late '60s) How are the schools? Catholic schools?

Family is all here, we know NO ONE in NC. So, we will have to make friends, the kids will have to make friends.

I need to be within a reasonable commute to New Bern, Kinston and Greenville. Mainly, New Bern. So, if I am a 40 minute commute to New Bern that would be OK but to make it to Kinston would make it tedious.
Help?
We live in Western Carteret County near Cape Carteret. My neighbor commutes to new Bern for work every day. His commute is less than 45 minutes. We are also ten minutes to the Emerald Isle beaches.

The schools in the area, White Oak Elementary, Broad Creek Middle, and Croatan High are very good. Croatan won an award this winter as one of the top schools in the US.

I interview prospective students for my alma mater which happens to be an Ivy League school. I have been very impressed with Croatan.

A family that I helped settle here had their children in private school before coming to the area. They just finished their first year in the area schools, they were exceptionally pleased. One of the children spent a couple weeks in a Duke Marine School Camp this summer. They are currently in a couple of additional science camps.

I think both you and the children would find it easy to make friends here. Just make sure you find a subdivision that has a fair number of children.

With the Aquarium, Beaufort Museums, and Fort Macon I think there is a fair amount happening in the area especially when you factor in sports and the ability to be active outside the whole year.

We have some nice trails in our area, plenty of beaches to walk, and lots of opportunity for boating.

Here's the link to the ranking of Croatan by US News and World Report.

Also this page has pictures of many of the area resources, museums, trails etc.

Our area had its first snow in six years last winter. It was one half inch on the grass, none on the driveways or roads.

Good luck finding a spot, I think you will end up loving NC. We lived in Canada for 16 years, the mountains of Va. for 20 years, and I do not miss snow and ice.

Having strawberries ripe in March or April and my first ripe tomato in early June is hard to beat.

Last edited by dsobotta; 07-18-2009 at 05:25 AM.. Reason: Left out word

Old 07-18-2009, 02:31 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
In regard to schools.

Tucker Creek Middle School, Havelock, Craven County had an 82% pass rate on 8th grade math EOG tests 2007-2008. State average was 68%. For 2008 - 2009 we had a 92.7% pass rate for 8th grade math. Do not yet know the state average. Those are TOP SCORES from a very very good middle school.

Late last year I was looking for End of Grade test samples from mother states. I noted that the 8th Grade Math test from Mass was THE MOST SIMILAR that I found to the NC End of Grade Math test for 8th grade.

The point is that Yankess have an overinflated attitude about their schools, as they do about most things "where we came from". Not all or our schools are great, but I betya that demographic match for demographic match we hold our own.

Like anything else, you need to set your priorities. If it is schools, there are great ones. If it is the beach, that is something else. If it is being near stuff, that too is fine. But you have to decide what is most important. Not many places have everything. If they did we would all be living there.

By the way, I am native and detest beyond all words the talking that goes on in the check out lines. Very maddening and I feel it mostly a function of a lot of retirees with nothing else to do. Unfortunately, I always have more to do than time permits. Maybe someday.

Good Luck.

lln

Old 07-20-2009, 12:21 PM

47 posts, read 152,599 times
THANK YOU

Thanks for all the great and thoughtful replies.

I am a transplanted "Buckeye" from Ohio and didn't move to Mass until I was an adult. I went to an "average" county public school system and have made out just fine. It is my bride that is a "New England" girl and has high expectations for the kids!

Personally, I doubt we would get them out of the ocean long enough to go to school.

I will be covering those three areas I mentioned. So adding a 45 minute commute may be what I have to pay to get them to the beach community.

P.S. I will be one of those "disturbing" people in the check-out line. I have conversations here all the time with others in line or the cashier.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina