Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 6,121 times

Advertisements

Hurricane /Tropical Depression Ida, could have been a lot worse! But it was bad enough! How did you fare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 04:22 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Had over 7 inches of rain here but no flooding. My area drains real good. By the way, more heavy rain is expected Sunday into Monday.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:44 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,532 times
OBX is now open: Local News

Old 11-21-2009, 07:48 AM

713 posts, read 3,928,056 times
Smile A lot of flooding on Emerald Isle

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1cholas123 View Post
Hurricane /Tropical Depression Ida, could have been a lot worse! But it was bad enough! How did you fare?
Western Carteret has seen over 17 inches of rain from Ida and a recent evening storm. They caused a road in Hubert off Queens Creek to wash out twice. Also West Firetower Road also washed out twice.

The repair to West Firetower is supposed to prevent this from happening again. It was open to traffic last night.

We have been in the area over three years, and this is the most rain we have seen in such a short time.

We were over at the Emerald Isle administrative offices yesterday, and I talked to Mayor Art Schools about the flooding along Coast Guard Road in Emerald Isle.

According to Art the 17+ inches of rain in less than a week is highly unusual.

The flooding is the worst that they have seen in years. While most of the roads are passable there are still a few places where the water has the roads covered.

The combination of exceptionally heavy rains and very high tides meant the water had nowhere to go. The pumps are running so it should all be clear soon.

The one unknown is how much rain will show up in the storm that is predicted for Sunday. Some forecasts are calling for as much as three inches. That is probably not going to bother most of Carteret County, but places that are still flooded will get some additional misery.

I posted a couple of flooding pictures on Picasa, the bus one was on Coast Guard Road and was taken Friday, Nov. 13. The other one was taken Thursday, Nov. 19 at the intersection of Deer Horn Drive and Ocean Drive. The photo was looking west along Ocean Drive.

I imagine some people are very surprised. We actually looked at some homes off Deer Horn Drive before we bought our place. No one mentioned Coast Guard Road flooding, so I was pretty surprised to see it.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:37 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,532 times
No one mentioned Coast Guard Road flooding, so I was pretty surprised to see it.
Kind of gives you a whole new perspective to that real estate you've been selling doesn't it?

3 years is a short time to experience the weather phenoms that the coast can throw at you.
25 years ago I was at the Peddler Steak House on the Atlantic Beach Causeway looking out at the 2 inches of Hail on the ground.
20 years ago I was outside my house in Morehead City playing in the 15 inches of snow.
15 years ago (approx.) I was cyphoning water from underneath my house -Compliments of Hurricane Fran- with garden hoses. (No power so I used garden hoses. It wasn't until about an hour later that I noticed it was draining more than water. Fish and shrimp were under the house too!)

The March Storm of '93 (One half of the "Perfect Storm") We went from warm and sunny to hurricane force winds and COLD.

5 years ago it got so cold the creeks and portions of the Sound froze.
Let's see-What else? Water spouts, micro-bursts and although not weather related-Even catching a glimpse of the flare from the space shuttle.

Every February there's a week of 60-70 degree temperatures

A little more time and a little more will be revealed to you.
Bill

Old 11-24-2009, 09:42 AM

713 posts, read 3,928,056 times
Smile Life shows us many things

It is the old question of living intensely in one spot or gathering experiences from a bigger world. Both ways have their pluses and minuses.

I always enjoy learning more about where I am, but I never want to forget what I have learned in other spots.

While you have seen it cold on the Crystal Coast, I have worked outside in -40 temperatures with forty miles per hour winds in New Brunswick, Canada. That is so cold that your car seat is as hard as rock, and insulation on many wires just crumbles in your hands. Our first year there we had twenty three feet of snow. The kids would use barn roofs as sledding hills because the snow was up to the eaves.

In eleven years we lived there I saw one storm drop over four feet of snow in a day. We saw school canceled once because the snow banks were so high they were afraid kids playing on them would brush against power lines.

Then there were the years on the Bay of Fundy where we fished for herring with nets sixteen feet in the air, and tied between telephone poles. There our property had a set of cliffs that were probably 75 ft high. One nor'easter the waves broke near the top of them and foam from the waves blew a mile inland only to freeze like insulation on power lines. We also got 12 inches of snow one September. The power was out for a week.

While living in Halifax, we got a visit from the pack ice one May. It filled Halifax Harbor. It was like living inside a glass of iced tea. Then there were the days in July when a down jacket would feel good while watching the girls play soccer. I once saw snow in Newfoundland in August.

In Roanoke, Virginia we have seen plenty of flooding as errant hurricanes wander up and do battle with the mountains. Hurricane Floyd even sent a tree into our screen porch. About six or seven inches of rain in a short period of time will stress the Roanoke River. More than that and you can see some major road closed. We also got over three feet of snow in 1996 as temperatures dropped to minus 12. It was so much snow they had to clear our road up the mountain with a bulldozer.

Ida appears to have caused more flooding damage to areas of Southwest Virginia than it did to Emerald Isle. Figure that one out.

Roanoke has also shown us a lot of beauty as the sun rises over the mountains.

As far as climates go, the Crystal Coast has a pretty good one in my mind

Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone.

Last edited by dsobotta; 11-24-2009 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: wrong word

Old 11-26-2009, 04:28 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
OBX is now open: Local News

All I can say is WOW! I've been out there before and thought that it was beautiful. Got admit, buiding on sand next to open ocean, doesn't seem to be the right thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina