Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 04:12 PM

311 posts, read 915,924 times

Advertisements

My neighbor has been looking for a job since she moved here in august.. not even a top dollar paying job, just something to get the bills paid, and she has found nothing! My husband wants to change jobs and he has looked steadily and thorougly and still, nothing! And when you do find a job opening, you will also find there are 200 applicants for that ONE job! We love Wilmington, but there are literally no jobs. Definitely do not move here unless you somehow get a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 05:35 PM

65 posts, read 196,918 times
don't waste your time! wilmington has NOTHING to offer!!! not enough jobs for the amount of people in the area (even though that amount is low). the people that do have jobs are being taken advantage of by there employers because they know they have no where to go, doing things like pay reductions, lowering or removing benefits, cutting hours, the list goes on. lots of places don't offer dental.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 11,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pballnc View Post
don't waste your time! wilmington has NOTHING to offer!!! not enough jobs for the amount of people in the area (even though that amount is low). the people that do have jobs are being taken advantage of by there employers because they know they have no where to go, doing things like pay reductions, lowering or removing benefits, cutting hours, the list goes on. lots of places don't offer dental.
I hate to say it but this post is 100% true. No - its 500% true.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 11,218 times
Default Very Very SAD indeed

This is all true sorry folks. Especially if your from the north it is super hard here. All I see is hot chicks and people that like to hunt and fish having the good jobs. I work in information technology also do web design. The companies here can be so nice if they just would be professional. But the mind sets are a real downer. About yankees you buy up all our land. Very sad and Ignorant place. My comments are based on my experience I am a 100% professional. Even if you have a collage degree it would not matter like I said comments are based on my experience.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:49 PM

160 posts, read 789,974 times
There is indeed a higher than average competition for jobs in Wilmington because there is a higher than average desire to live there. It's a supply versus demand issue. But to say that there are no jobs in Wilmington is absurd. The city has 2 hospitals and a major university, an airport, large corporations like PPD, Verizon, GE and Corning. There are beer and soft drink distributors, UPS, Fedex, major retail stores, two Walmarts, hundreds of restaurants and convenience stores, several ports, multiple goverment agencies, fish markets, real estate companies, a mall, dozens of boat and car dealerships, multiple law firms, insurance companies and doctor's offices and they all EMPLOY PEOPLE.

I'm not trying to be mean but if you can't make it financially in Wilmington it's not the city's fault and you might want to consider relocating. The only thing preventing someone from earning a comfortable living in Wilmington is that individual. If you have a skill set that is in demand you'll make it just fine.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:43 PM

610 posts, read 3,015,806 times
NCGT:

You are full of it. Wilmington is nothing more than a retail town. Like I said a million times, if you are a medical professional or lawyer you can make a good living in Wilmington. If you are in any other category, then you might as well run for the door.

You act like Wilmington is full of industry and jobs...hahaha PPD is nothing more than a "good ol' boy system". You have to know someone to get a job there. You could have a PhD in Astrophysics, but unless you know someone at PPD, Invista, or GE, you will never get hired at any of those places. I stand firmly behind that statement!

I would like to know if you currently live in Wilmington. If so, where do you work at? I'm dying to know...

Old 02-22-2010, 05:18 PM

101 posts, read 357,359 times
Wilmington is a rich retiree's dream city, but it's a nightmare for those who have to work for a living in a non-professional (doctor, lawyer, executive) position. I lived there in 2005-2006 and even back then, before the recession, there were 200-300 applicants for each position that was advertised on our company's website. These weren't high-paying jobs, either, most were $24K to $30K per year. I can only imagine that the competition is even fiercer now that jobs have pretty much dried up all over the state. Don't move here thinking you'll find a job -- you won't!

Old 09-26-2010, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 10,659 times
I am moving to wilmington in november, I have read the reviews on the poor job status in wilmington. I was wondering if this has improved any since february?

Old 09-27-2010, 01:44 AM

610 posts, read 3,015,806 times
Samjen:
No, the job situation in Wilmington hasn't improved and it won't.

I would like to know why you are moving to Wilmington. Wilmington is not the promised land. There are no decent paying jobs here unless you want to work for $8 an hour as a fast food worker.

I think you need to seriously reconsider your plan of moving to Wilmington.

Unless you have a lot of money saved up and you are a doctor, dentist, nurse, or pharmacist, stay far, far away from Wilmington.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:28 AM

1 posts, read 10,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
NCGT:

You are full of it. Wilmington is nothing more than a retail town. Like I said a million times, if you are a medical professional or lawyer you can make a good living in Wilmington. If you are in any other category, then you might as well run for the door.

You act like Wilmington is full of industry and jobs...hahaha PPD is nothing more than a "good ol' boy system". You have to know someone to get a job there. You could have a PhD in Astrophysics, but unless you know someone at PPD, Invista, or GE, you will never get hired at any of those places. I stand firmly behind that statement!

I would like to know if you currently live in Wilmington. If so, where do you work at? I'm dying to know...
You realize that most jobs (everywhere) are gotten through networking (ie: people you know) right?

I've got to agree with NCGT, if you have the drive you can always find a job maybe not your first choice but there is always work for those who are willing to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina