Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 01:33 PM

207 posts, read 963,699 times

Advertisements

Hi again-
Now that I have secured a place to live down in Wilmington I am planning on getting a dog when I move down there. I have been looking into local shelters but would love some opinions from people who are familiar with the area. My lease allows me to have a small dog under 25lbs and although I do not have a yard I would be taking it on walks all the time. My concern is that I might get rejected by a rescue or shelter because they tend to have outrageous restrictions on who can adopt. I really am the perfect candidate, I'll be home 24/7 for the next 2 months, then once classes start I'll only be gone 9 hours per week. I'll be needing a companion and will have all of the time in the world to spend with them, I just know some places are so picky and may not like the fact that I am a student or that I don't have a job (even though my parents give me any money I need and I get a stipend from the school). I also have not had any pets of my own before and thus don't have any vet references. Is there a vet that someone could recommend for me? I'd really like to save a dog from a shelter so if there is one that is good and that doesn't make you jump through fiery hoops to adopt that would be great. I understand that they are just trying to find the best home possible for the animals but some of it gets out of hand. I don't want to buy from a pet store because I know they come from puppy mills and I don't have thousands of dollars to buy one from a breeder. I'm concerned that at the kill shelters and pounds that the health of the dog would be a risk. They usually state that the animals have had no vet care and that they could potentially be very ill and I could end up spending tons in vet care and have the animal die anyway. I'd like there to be some history or guarantee of health, although I know that is difficult. I've also considered Craigslist but again I know that is probably just a bunch of shady people trying to dump their sick pets on others. If anyone has any opinions or insight I'd really appreciate it, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 08:21 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,480 times
just go for a shelter dog , we adopted one
a year ago and he was perfectly healthy.
the other suggestion is to look at
craigslist but you must be quick for some of the dogs.

perhaps put an ad and stipulate a trial period?
make sure to get address and phone numbers.

I am concerned with you being a student and craigslist is loaded
with dogs being dumped by students that got one on a whim.
please be sure this is forever.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:32 PM

207 posts, read 963,699 times
Don't worry- it is! I made sure when I was looking at places that I found one that allowed pets because I've always wanted and planned for a dog, so this is definitely not just on a whim. Just because I am young does not mean I am irresponsible, I made it to graduate school after all through a lot of hard work and planning. I know that's not what you meant but I know that some people may feel that way. I could never give away one of my pets, they are like my family. I grew up with dogs and cats and have always been an animal lover, and even when I do move on to other places I'll always take my pets with me no matter what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina