Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 01:34 PM

4,188 posts, read 3,401,719 times

Advertisements

Thank you! I know I have at least one of the green pinstripe mugs...and a bowl from that railroadware collection. Awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 05:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I am a sucker for just about any vintage glass ware from the 50s and back.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:53 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,463,838 times
Hi folks,

I posted a separate thread regarding Fiesta (Fiestaware) and another member was kind enough to reference this link for me.

I enjoy discussing Fiesta (Vintage and Modern/Post-86) with other fans and collectors.

I fell in love with Fiesta the first time I saw it, which was back in 1999. I was a 24-year-old-guy the time and the only thing I knew about dishes of any kind was that you eat off of them! =) I started working with a lady whose mom had passed down her collection of vintage Fiesta to my friend. She had the original Relish Tray (in the six original colors), several comports and numerous other unique items that I had never seen before (nor did I know what most of them even were)!

I have always been drawn to vibrant colors (perhaps because I am color blind, literally). I have a very difficult time distinguishing between dark colors among other things. I can clearly identify Primary colors (Blue, Red, Yellow) and usually Secondary colors (Green & Orange are easy, Purple can give me a little trouble depending on the shade and lighting). After that, it's a toss-up- sometimes I can identify more complex colors and other times I'll see something quite different. Whenever I've bought anything other than a White or Silver car, I've had my best friend of my mom look at it before I write the check, just to be safe! I find it frustrating once in a while, but it's usually more amusing than anything.

In addition to Fiesta colors, I love the design of many items. I have many different pieces, but in particular, I collect the Large Disc Pitchers because of the clean and unique design and shape. I also love the Carafe (have a few) and Teapot (have one in Persimmon).

I use Lapis (blue) for my everyday dishes. I don't care for the items in the Fiesta place settings, so I made my own. I use the standard Dinner Plates, but I have the 9" Luncheon Plates instead of the 7.25" Salad Plates and the 38oz Medium Bistro Bowl instead of the standard (whatever size it's called) bowls. I also have both the 12oz Java Mugs and 18oz Jumbo Cups (mugs).

My best friend finally caught the Fiesta bug when we visited the Factory and Outlet Store back in November. He fell in love with the new Slate color and all of his serving pieces and accessories are Paprika. A nice combination.

Now my mom is talking about buying the new Sage and possibly mixing it with Ivory.

I look forward to hearing from other Fiesta lovers! =)

Old 01-05-2016, 07:00 AM

I recently came down with a case of Brown Drip Glaze Fever...found a few Pfaltzgraff pieces at a yard sale, a Hull mini-pot without lid at a thrift store...and a McCoy mug right in my own garage.

Whew.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
I recently came down with a case of Brown Drip Glaze Fever...found a few Pfaltzgraff pieces at a yard sale, a Hull mini-pot without lid at a thrift store...and a McCoy mug right in my own garage.

Whew.
I have a teapot from my great-aunt that is Brown Drip Glaze but I never knew that was what you call the color/finish/glaze until I read your post and Googled it! I really like it and it has a lot of sentimental value.

I had one grandmother who collected Depression Glass. Over the years she collected a large set for my sister (American Sweetheart, Pink) and mine is Green but I honestly haven't figured out the pattern name. I've never been a huge fan of Depression Glass because it's kinda depressing...the name says it all! But I treasure it because she spent over 30 years at yard sales, flea markets, thrift stores and swap meets collecting it piece by piece.

I wish one of my grandmothers or great-aunts had collected Fiesta! My mom and dad married the year that Fiesta Ironstone was introduced (1969) and she never liked it, so I dodged that bullet! Even my love for Fiesta would be tested in Turf Green (Avacado) and Antique Gold (Harvest Gold)!!! The only other color was Mango Red, which was essentially the original Red, but it was the only palatable color from the Ironstone series. My mom was given a hideous set of dark red china by my dad's mother and she offered it to me when she and my dad divorced. I declined it and now my sister is stuck with it!

My mom also sold Tiara products for a while and she amassed a substantial amount of their stuff. She never liked it and I hated it, so I sold the more valuable pieces on Ebay and donated the rest to Goodwill. A lot of her's was a pattern called Ponderosa Pine (as bad as it sounds) and I was amazed at how much people were willing to pay for some pieces of it. I got $70 for four tea glasses and almost $100 for a water pitcher.....go figure!

Have you (or anyone reading this) ran across any Fiestaware at thrift stores? I usually only go to Goodwill to get rid of stuff and refrain from going in and looking around. But if there's even a remote chance that I might some Fiestaware, I'd be a frequent shopper! Actually, I'd get my mom to be a frequent shopper to check for me. She's newly retired and constantly looking for things to do. She checks out yard sales whenever she sees or hears of one and has picked up at least 15-20 pieces of Fiesta over the years. She also watches the clearance racks at Macy's, Belk and Kohl's for Fiesta pieces and has found quite a few for me there for dirt cheap. And yes, I have an awesome mom!

Old 01-05-2016, 07:41 AM

Default Definition of "Arts and Crafts items"?

For the purpose of this thread/discussion, what would be considered Arts and Crafts items (as mentioned in the heading)? I'm asking because I'm a huge fan of Arts & Crafts architecture and design themes, but I'd love to know what potential collectibles might exist along the same lines.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:25 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Shawnee & McCoy cookie jars!

I got "addicted" when I spied a Shawnee Smiley Pig cookie jar in a curio shop, that looked exactly like one my grandmother had! Since then, I have added several more to my collection. I have also branched out into McCoy's Puss n Boots cookie jars. Here's one I'm dying to get----but the price

My cookie jars are usually around $50--$80, but this little lady---$250
Still, I keep looking at her online, she's calling to me----

http://www.rubylane.com/item/719135-...-Jar-Puss-Nx27

Old 01-10-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
I have a teapot from my great-aunt that is Brown Drip Glaze but I never knew that was what you call the color/finish/glaze until I read your post and Googled it! I really like it and it has a lot of sentimental value.

I had one grandmother who collected Depression Glass. Over the years she collected a large set for my sister (American Sweetheart, Pink) and mine is Green but I honestly haven't figured out the pattern name. I've never been a huge fan of Depression Glass because it's kinda depressing...the name says it all! But I treasure it because she spent over 30 years at yard sales, flea markets, thrift stores and swap meets collecting it piece by piece.

I wish one of my grandmothers or great-aunts had collected Fiesta! My mom and dad married the year that Fiesta Ironstone was introduced (1969) and she never liked it, so I dodged that bullet! Even my love for Fiesta would be tested in Turf Green (Avacado) and Antique Gold (Harvest Gold)!!! The only other color was Mango Red, which was essentially the original Red, but it was the only palatable color from the Ironstone series. My mom was given a hideous set of dark red china by my dad's mother and she offered it to me when she and my dad divorced. I declined it and now my sister is stuck with it!

My mom also sold Tiara products for a while and she amassed a substantial amount of their stuff. She never liked it and I hated it, so I sold the more valuable pieces on Ebay and donated the rest to Goodwill. A lot of her's was a pattern called Ponderosa Pine (as bad as it sounds) and I was amazed at how much people were willing to pay for some pieces of it. I got $70 for four tea glasses and almost $100 for a water pitcher.....go figure!

Have you (or anyone reading this) ran across any Fiestaware at thrift stores? I usually only go to Goodwill to get rid of stuff and refrain from going in and looking around. But if there's even a remote chance that I might some Fiestaware, I'd be a frequent shopper! Actually, I'd get my mom to be a frequent shopper to check for me. She's newly retired and constantly looking for things to do. She checks out yard sales whenever she sees or hears of one and has picked up at least 15-20 pieces of Fiesta over the years. She also watches the clearance racks at Macy's, Belk and Kohl's for Fiesta pieces and has found quite a few for me there for dirt cheap. And yes, I have an awesome mom!

Yup, same here for Brown Drip.

Depression Glass is VERY collectible. I don't have any, though.

Fiestaware: Not at thrift stores, but several years ago at a yard sale, we came across a couple selling tons of it. The only problem for me was, they were largely colors I don't care for: gray, dark purple, and kind of a gray-pink (haven't looked them up). Like early 1980s diner makeover colors. The only pieces I bought were a pale yellow mug and plate. The color might be Sunflower, not sure.

Still, I'm kicking myself now. I might have been able to ebay 'em.

The Fiesta pieces I do have are a small oval plate, some soup plates, a coffe cup, a fruit bowl, and other small bowls. They come from restaurant supply stores and sales on Amazon: I'm bad with remembering color names, but...maybe Marigold, Flamingo, Paprika, Ivory...Shamrock? A bright green, anyway. And a small turquoise color bowl.

I might have liked Avocado Green and Harvest Gold. Nostalgia, y'know.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Fiestaware: Not at thrift stores, but several years ago at a yard sale, we came across a couple selling tons of it. The only problem for me was, they were largely colors I don't care for: gray, dark purple, and kind of a gray-pink (haven't looked them up). Like early 1980s diner makeover colors. The only pieces I bought were a pale yellow mug and plate. The color might be Sunflower, not sure......
I'm trying to think what the gray-pink might have been. There original Rose from the 50s was a pinkish brown, there was a Gray from the 50s also (medium gray) and a Pearl Gray that was only made for about 18 months in 1999-2001 (that I've never seen in person). There is also a 'new' Rose that was introduced when the line was reintroduced in 1986, but it's pretty much a Pepto-pink (and makes me kinda nauseous). The dark purple you mention could have been Plum (2002-2016, or so I've heard it's being retired this year) or Heather (2006-2009, dark red-purple).

I like the plain Yellow (1987-2002) which is a light/pale buttery yellow. Sunflower is like looking into the sun it's so bright!

Quote:
I might have liked Avocado Green and Harvest Gold. Nostalgia, y'know.
I think it might cause PTSD for me! The house I grew up in was built in the 40s but my parents moved into it in 1970. It was gutted and remodeled and had two bedrooms built on in 1971 when she was pregnant with my sister. I still need a Valium when I think back or look at photos from that house!

The dining room, kitchen and bathroom (one bath for a family of four) all had Harvest Gold linoleum with a hideous pattern embossed in it. The kitchen counters were also Harvest Gold but the bathroom had Avocado countertops, with a matching sink and toilet. The bathtub was also avocado green with avocado green ceramic tile covering the walls of the shower.

The living room had that nasty super-thin wood paneling on the walls and multi-colored (brown, rust, gold and beige) shag carpet. The same carpet was my parents' bedroom and the spare bedroom and hallway. My sister's bedroom has Kelly Green shag, which looked even more horrible at the door off the hall where it met the multi-colored shag. Then my bedroom had Royal Blue shag. If I was Catholic, I would have been certain that I was in Purgatory!

The decorating revolution of the 80s didn't make things much better. The multi-colored shag was replaced with "Country Blue" and there was Seafoam Green, Mauve and Peach all over the house. It was truly Pastel Hell!

Then the late 80s came and everything was Hunter Green, Burgundy and Navy Blue. A slight improvement but very dark. My sister, sadly, still has Hunter Green counter tops in her kitchen.

Today's tastes in colors and design themes are much more timeless than the trends of the last 30-40 years. If the 70s colors ever experience a 'retro' revival, I may check myself into a padded room so at least I will be surrounded by white...and I won't snap and kill anyone! For some reason, Harvest Gold was the absolute worst to me. It has created a genuine hatred of anything remotely close to Gold in color. I hate Gold cars, I hate light beige car interiors because they look like a pale gold, I hate clothes that have a goldish hue.....PTSD, I'm telling you......

Let's do primary colors as the next big trend- everything has to be true blue, red and yellow (as long as it's really yellow and not gold)!

Old 01-11-2016, 08:01 AM

I found a chart. Those yard sale colors were most likely Plum and Rose. I just thought they looked icky together. But then I have fonder memories of Harvest Gold, Avocado and don't-forget-Coppertone than you do. Maybe because there was no shag carpeting.

Here's the chart.

I believe that at the yard sale they actually had some gray dishes in there, which made the color mix still more repellent to me. Color likes and dislikes are very personal. I like bright citrus colors and some neutrals. I got a couple of Scarlet bowls and casseroles that I take out for Christmas, along with the Shamrock plate.

I do believe my mug and plate are Sunflower; I also have a more recent soup plate in that color.

The Big Question now is: where do I put it all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques