Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 01:32 AM

62 posts, read 277,676 times

Advertisements

There have been huge talks of expanding conferences lately especially with teams from Big 12. I am surprised that it's happening. I wonder why Big 12 is going downhill. I never really got the reason about it. Does anyone know?

Anyway, it's official that Colorado is joining the Pac-10 Conference with Nebraska joining the Big 10 Conference.

Texas's athletic leaders will have a meeting soon to discuss whether Texas should join Pac-10 or not.

Many believe that teams in Oklahoma will follow Texas to Pac-10.

For Texas A&M, the school expresses an interest to join the SEC.

Are you for the expansion of Pac-10 and other conferences or against it?

For me, I am uncertain. Of course with Texas and Oklahoma, Pac-10 will earn more revenues but it also means there will be more competition for USC (I'm a Trojan fan, by the way).

I'm not saying that USC can handle having Texas and Oklahoma in Pac-10 but I think USC has enough competitions with schools in Oregon, Cal, and UCLA trying to knock them out of championship game every year and now it's bad enough about USC being banned from bowl games for two years. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 04:17 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,825,324 times
When Boston College is in the same conference as the University of Hawaii and when the fans of one plan to make the short two hour drive to the home of the other to see these natural rivals play a tradition laden football game, you'll get the idea of how I feel about college football conference expansion.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:04 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,115 times
The Big 12 fell apart because they never stuck together in the first place. They were dysfunctional from the beginning. Plus, they are sitting right between the Big Ten and PAC-10. And to a lesser extent the SEC and ACC.

Geography alone always made them a more likely target. Plus they have 5 teams that are no-brainers for a lot of people: Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Colorado and Texas A&M.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:35 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,022,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJCalif View Post
There have been huge talks of expanding conferences lately especially with teams from Big 12. I am surprised that it's happening. I wonder why Big 12 is going downhill. I never really got the reason about it. Does anyone know?

Anyway, it's official that Colorado is joining the Pac-10 Conference with Nebraska joining the Big 10 Conference.

Texas's athletic leaders will have a meeting soon to discuss whether Texas should join Pac-10 or not.

Many believe that teams in Oklahoma will follow Texas to Pac-10.

For Texas A&M, the school expresses an interest to join the SEC.

For me, I am uncertain. Of course with Texas and Oklahoma, Pac-10 will earn more revenues but it also means there will be more competition for USC (I'm a Trojan fan, by the way).

I'm not saying that USC can handle having Texas and Oklahoma in Pac-10 but I think USC has enough competitions with schools in Oregon, Cal, and UCLA trying to knock them out of championship game every year and now it's bad enough about USC being banned from bowl games for two years. LOL!
It's all cyclical, Bama came back. USC will come back, they have too much prestige and are in too sexy of a city.

Mixed feelings on it;

In my heart as favoring the equal and being empathetic to the underdog, I HATE it because it's all about making some schools richer and shafting others (hello or maybe is it Good bye Kansas)

Overall, I am indifferent to it as I only watch games on TV as a non alum fan and attend a small liberal arts college that isnt a jock school. Conference shakeups have happened before and traditions have been sacrificed in the name of money before.

As long as Virginia (my prefered team) isn't shafted by all this, I am cool. If they are, college football may well loose me as a fan.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:24 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,029,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJCalif View Post

Yeah, it's going to be a tough conference...LOL. I am against the expansion primarily because it will change the conferences too much and arguably will change college football forever, and not for the better. IMO, the Big 12 should have just added two more teams instead of joining the Pac 10 right now. A while back there was some talk about the Big 12 forming an alliance with the Pac 10 for a new TV contract in 2012. FOX has been very interested in competing more with ABC/ESPN and CBS so the Big 12 and Pac 10 would've gotten a new contract from them. The new contract probably would have been close to what it will be in the new Pac 16 anyway. IMO, they should've tried that first for several years instead of breaking up the entire Big 12 conference like they are trying to do now. Instead, they decided to go for the big money grab right now regardless of the consequences, which is a shame IMO.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:17 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,500,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
Yeah, it's going to be a tough conference...LOL. I am against the expansion primarily because it will change the conferences too much and arguably will change college football forever, and not for the better. IMO, the Big 12 should have just added two more teams instead of joining the Pac 10 right now. A while back there was some talk about the Big 12 forming an alliance with the Pac 10 for a new TV contract in 2012. FOX has been very interested in competing more with ABC/ESPN and CBS so the Big 12 and Pac 10 would've gotten a new contract from them. The new contract probably would have been close to what it will be in the new Pac 16 anyway. IMO, they should've tried that first for several years instead of breaking up the entire Big 12 conference like they are trying to do now. Instead, they decided to go for the big money grab right now regardless of the consequences, which is a shame IMO.
Right on the money here, TTDave. At this point, I'd be good just keeping a 10 team Big 12 (change the name?) if they're not going to add BYU and Utah, etc.

Whatever happens I want the Big 12 South to stay together as we are regionally and culturally all tied together (Oklahoma and Texas).

Old 06-13-2010, 02:34 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
If it's reality why does it matter if you're for or against it? You have to be looking forward not backwards.

I feel that my Louisville Cardinals are in good shape either way. If the current Big East lose several but adds the remaining Big 12 that would be great. If the Big East losses all it's eastern schools to the Big 10 and ACC I think the 4 Ohio Valley Brothers (Pitt, WVU, Cincinnati, and Louisville) will leave the Big East and join up with what's left of the Big 12 + Memphis - that would also be great.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:16 PM

All about competitiveness, as long as everyone has a fair chance.

Actually, the main knock against all this is that it has very little to do with the game (IMHO) it's just about getting money for a few select individuals and groups.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:47 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,825,324 times
I like realignment as well as the next guy:

EASTERN DIVISION:
Penn State
Ohio State
Michigan
Giants
Patriots
Eagles

NORTHERN DIVISION
Notre Dame
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Bears
Packers
Steelers

WESTERN DIVSION
USC
Oregon
Cal
49ers
Cowboys
Chargers

SOUTHERN DIVISION
Alabama
Florida
LSU
Titans
Redskins
Dolphins

Old 06-13-2010, 09:57 PM

Ahahahahaaa choice!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football