Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 04:10 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,308,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
..... yeah, that's pretty much it.

I personally would like to still see teams in that playoff go to a Bowl game, BUT, if that's how the BCS would want it, and if the NCAA would have it, then YES. Let's have a playoff with like the top 8 or 10 teams in the Nation, then leave the bowls for the rest.

And I think we should at least trim the number of bowl games down a bit.
Playoff system that you "proposed" is regurgitation. 8-10 team playoff will not cut it. We must have more, 12; like the NFL system...if not more.

I don't care which system is implemented because the current one is ineffective. The powers to be, BCS, ABS and CBS have conjured a mess this year. This years schedule has been really bad, they are playing too many games across too many days.

"Some" feel complaining would not be effective. That approach is cowardly, unAmerican and unDudely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 01:51 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Actually, I think that IS enough.

There's no way we should just get rid of Bowl Games. Couldn't imagine college football without them. At max, we could have 16 teams in the playoffs, but that's it.

I'd rather have an 8-16 team playoffs WITH Bowls, than have a 32 team without them. Because that's just too much and borderlining on College Hoops.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:18 PM

977 posts, read 1,956,803 times
I have mentioned it long ago, but I believe the best option is a 16-team format, with all 11 conference champions and 5 at-large teams, seeded by BCS ranking. This year we would have:

1- Auburn
2- Oregon
3- TCU
4- Stanford*
5- Wisconsin
6- Ohio State*
7- Oklahoma
8- Arkansas*
9- Michigan State*
10-Boise State*
11-Virginia Tech
12-Nevada
13-UCF
14-Connecticut
15-Northern Illinois
16-Florida International

*=At Large

Then have some consolation bowl system (similar to the NIT tournament in basketball, as I mentioned in the other thread) for teams like LSU, Alabama, Oklahoma State, etc.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:34 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,455,438 times
I'm not too worried about the amount of bowls, yeah there is probably too many but in the end I don't even get to watch many, even now and then you'll get a game with a great finish (Tenn V NC like).

Rarely will I watch a bowl game in full unless its Nevada, Oregon, Rose Bowl or the NC game, I'll check the scores, and if it's close going into the 4th, on the internet I go!

Old 01-03-2011, 01:26 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
I have mentioned it long ago, but I believe the best option is a 16-team format, with all 11 conference champions and 5 at-large teams, seeded by BCS ranking. This year we would have:

1- Auburn
2- Oregon
3- TCU
4- Stanford*
5- Wisconsin
6- Ohio State*
7- Oklahoma
8- Arkansas*
9- Michigan State*
10-Boise State*
11-Virginia Tech
12-Nevada
13-UCF
14-Connecticut
15-Northern Illinois
16-Florida International

*=At Large

Then have some consolation bowl system (similar to the NIT tournament in basketball, as I mentioned in the other thread) for teams like LSU, Alabama, Oklahoma State, etc.
this is really great. the 16 team format would have 15 total games along with the 4 or so traditional bowl games that'd be great. And nobody could complain about the little guys not getting a chance b/c all 11 conferences are represented. You wouldn't need TCU playing in the big east or boise state having to switch conferences to gain respect.

this year the Rose Bowl would be Pac 10#3 vs. BigTen#4 for instance. Still traditional and at the same time the best of those conferences getting to prove it on the field in the PO's. Ditto for Sugar and Orange bowls for instance.

I love it. The NCAA and NIT analogy is a great one. We get to keep the history and tradition of the bowl games and still get a tournament.

And I agree, there's no way we could just have a plus one or top 4 or 8, people would still be complaining and wouldn't be able to agree on the top 4 or 8. 16 is much better. 11 auto qualifiers and 5 at large.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:36 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,608,852 times
AQ is one of the major flaws with the BCS, why keep it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football