Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 08:34 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times

Advertisements

Only the ACC supported it. Pretty amusing the Big 12 didn't support and now they yell and scream.

I wish LSU had the chance to beat OSU by 30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 08:45 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
I wish LSU had the chance to beat OSU by 30.
When did the Big 12 say that? Link?

Old 12-04-2011, 09:00 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
When did the Big 12 say that? Link?
They said today maybe we should consider a plus 1. Ha.

SEC reaps reward of rejected playoff plan - College Football - Rivals.com

Old 12-04-2011, 09:09 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
I don't care who said what way back when. If this is what it takes to get a plus one, then this unpopular BCS game will be for a good cause.

Personally, I have to agree that Alabama has the best chance of beating LSU. I just philosophically have a problem choosing Alabama over OSU when Alabama already lost to the Tigers and OSU's never played them. On some level, that just doesn't add up.

However, maybe this will be what motivates the Big 12 (what's remaining of it anyway...maybe the Big 9 or back to the Big 8 now, lol), the new Big 12 (formerly the Big 10), and the 'Pac 15 and growing' to accept a BCS plus one system.

I also like the idea that was floated on the SEC title game telecast yesterday. Maybe the top six. Take two BCS conference champions (highest ranked) as automatic 1 and 2 seeds, and then have four at large bids based on BCS rankings. But the most realistic proposal will probably be the bowl system plus one. I'd like to see plus two, but the good ole bowl boys won't have it.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:07 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times
I like the idea of having #2 and #3 play for a chance to play #1... keeps it simple and there's only one more game across the board.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:41 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,758 times
FCS - 20 teams enter, 5 rounds later a TRUE CHAMPION is determined.
NFL - 12 teams enter, 4 rounds later a TRUE CHAMPION is determined.

NCAA D1 is the only sport that doesn't determine a TRUE CHAMPION.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:51 AM

823 posts, read 2,216,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
FCS - 20 teams enter, 5 rounds later a TRUE CHAMPION is determined.
NFL - 12 teams enter, 4 rounds later a TRUE CHAMPION is determined.

NCAA D1 is the only sport that doesn't determine a TRUE CHAMPION.
NCAA D1 football could never have a 20 team playoff.

I want a playoff as much as anyone, but that idea is just nuts. Do you really think Nebraska (the #20 team this year) has a chance to win the title? Or Georgia (#16) after they got waxed by LSU? A 20 team playoff makes the regular season almost irrelevant.

A plus one or a 6/8 team playoff still makes the regular season meaningful and provides controversy about teams that have a real shot to win it all. Not controversy at the margins like whether Southern Miss (#21) or Penn State (#22) deserve to make the tournament.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:03 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
Not controversy at the margins like whether Southern Miss (#21) or Penn State (#22) deserve to make the tournament.
This is true, because there is NEVER a controversy in the NCAA basketball tournament about how does and does not get into the tournament.

/Sarcasm

Old 12-06-2011, 11:58 AM

909 posts, read 1,063,105 times
I wanted Houston to play LSU in the title game.

That would have put an end to all the "Boise" style whining once and for all.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:32 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
They said today maybe we should consider a plus 1. Ha.

SEC reaps reward of rejected playoff plan - College Football - Rivals.com
Predictable that they would come around now that they have been snubbed.... More news of it on si.com below. The Big12 is a joke, acting a like 2 year old when you tell them its hott... they have to put their finger on it and get burned to know!

"If the league's presidents choose to agree with their athletic directors, the Big 12's support would be a huge step forward. The Big 12 was one of several leagues that blocked SEC commissioner Mike Slive's 2008 proposal for a four-team, seeded tournament. The ACC was the only conference that supported the plan."

Looks like the Big10 is going to be the problem going fwd though:

"While more than 12 of 24 athletic directors supported the plus-one, a majority of the 12 Big Ten athletic directors did not support the idea. From their standpoint, that is the sensible position. That's why the Big Ten will likely offer the most resistance to any plus-one plan if it gets proposed prior to the next BCS annual meeting in April. Commissioner Jim Delany is a master at getting his colleagues to agree to do what is best for the Big Ten, and the Big Ten is better off without a playoff. Because the league contains huge schools with passionate fan bases, the old bowl system actually is the most advantageous for the Big Ten."

Read more: After BCS snub, Big 12 support boosts plus-one playoff format - Andy Staples - SI.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football