Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next team to leave
Boston 2 8.00%
Clemson 8 32.00%
Duke 2 8.00%
FSU 12 48.00%
GT 3 12.00%
Miami 3 12.00%
UNC 2 8.00%
UNC 2 8.00%
NC State 3 12.00%
UV 1 4.00%
Wake 1 4.00%
VT 4 16.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 12:45 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,865 times

Advertisements

I don't see how Maryland is greedy. Desperate maybe but meh, why should they worry about other schools when they are only repsonsible for their own bottom line?

I'm a UVA fan and like the ACC but if it goes south, I say screw tradition and go to the Big 10. UNC can do what it wants, but despite it's mediocrity, UVA focuses on football and I think at the end of the day would want to be in a place where it is not a mid major nobody for football (and it's highly ranked olympic sports).

cry_havoc has an interesting and legit take on the ND-ACC shak up.

But there is no way Clemson and FSU stand pat in an even more watered down ACC, they would HATE it. And SERIOUSLY and OPENLY make overtures to the Big 12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 02:25 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,896,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
The SEC doesnt want FSU. FSU had its chance to be a member in the early 90's, but opted to join the ACC.

And they are in the state of Florida... a state the SEC already has a major presence in

Old 11-23-2012, 08:14 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
The SEC doesnt want FSU. FSU had its chance to be a member in the early 90's, but opted to join the ACC.
Doesn't want them yet they offered them in the mid 90s? If they offered them then, who is to say they wouldn't offer them now.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:43 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,880,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Doesn't want them yet they offered them in the mid 90s? If they offered them then, who is to say they wouldn't offer them now.
Because we are talking about the SEC now compared to the SEC then. The SEC currently wants to expand into new markets and they have no reason to add FSU, because they already have UF as a member.

The SEC of the early 90's saw FSU as an attractive independent program, and the SEC was also at that time 10 teams. If FSU would of accepted the offer, it would of been FSU and Arkansas invited, instead of South Carolina (who was also an independent at the time).

Old 11-24-2012, 05:04 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,347,236 times
Alot of FSU to the SEC talk here. From what I've heard over and again on the message boards across the country, there are 3 slim chances FSU has to join the SEC. First, if every team in NC and VA say no (if the ACC implodes) to SEC membership. If the SEC decides they don't want Big 10 competition in the state of FL. Many rumors have the B1G going to 20 teams in an "endgame" scenerio. If that happens, the SEC will do the same and then FSU has a legit shot.

That said, if the ACC implodes VA Tech will surely head to the SEC and UNC or NCST will join. FSU has about a 15-20% chance.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:38 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Good to see you are coming around and accepting the truth about the ACC.

The problem with your logic is you are assuming that because something was the case in the past it is going to continue to be so in the future. Usually this does not hold. The situation for the SEC, FSU, and the NCAA has changed dramatically in over a decade. Now the SEC is the dominant conference and is much bigger and more profitable. This was not the case in the 90s. Also FSU was winning national titles back then, which is not the case now.

Without a doubt we both can agree not going to the SEC was a big mistake for FSU. In FSU's defense they didnt know at the time how bad the ACC would become or how good the SEC would become.

Still FSU going to SEC is unlikely. They already have the Florida market, have recruiting in Florida, have enough good teams, and will want to go after new markets, and bigger markets. Some poster mentioned a scenario where FSU would go to the SEC. I agree if the SEC expands and the schools they want turn them down than there is a SMALL chance the SEC would take them. It is unlikely. Big 12 would be most likely, but they didnt want FSU a few months ago and I realize I said things change but I doubt they will over a few months. Maybe once the playoffs come around the Big 12 will want them. Also I dont see the B1G having any real interest in FSU. Ultimately I do think FSU will eventually get out of the ACC before it implodes but out off all the conferences the SEC is the most unlikely, except for perhaps the PAC.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:58 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
FSU brings nothing to the SEC. Not a new TV market and their fan support is average. We just brought in two AAU schools also so while many say it doesn't matter the people making decisions do care about academics.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:49 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,896,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
FSU brings nothing to the SEC. Not a new TV market and their fan support is average. We just brought in two AAU schools also so while many say it doesn't matter the people making decisions do care about academics.
Well... To be fair: The AAU status was just byproducts. It was nice icing on the cake but was certainly not part of the "requirements" used in considering Mizzou and TAM for expansion.

But you are 100% accurate in FSU offering nothing to the SEC at this point.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:33 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,214,639 times
After seeing Uga vs Ga tech, Florida v FSU and USC v clemson (although we were not as bad as the other two) I am seriously doubting the SEC gives a wiff about any of them. I doubt we have an ACC team in the top 20 on the computer rankings at this point.

I think there is a strong argument to be made for a school in NC or Va. To be honest I think NC State might be the best fit. UNC is a basketball school and the ACC serves it very well in that regards.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:31 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Good to see you are coming around and accepting the truth about the ACC.

The problem with your logic is you are assuming that because something was the case in the past it is going to continue to be so in the future. Usually this does not hold. The situation for the SEC, FSU, and the NCAA has changed dramatically in over a decade. Now the SEC is the dominant conference and is much bigger and more profitable. This was not the case in the 90s. Also FSU was winning national titles back then, which is not the case now.
When we were offered by the SEC, we hadn't won a championship. The SEC still had profitable, good football schools. Only thing that has changed is the amount and new forms of media (in example, B10 Network,etc).

Quote:
Without a doubt we both can agree not going to the SEC was a big mistake for FSU. In FSU's defense they didnt know at the time how bad the ACC would become or how good the SEC would become.
No it wasn't. The SEC West is where we would have dropped and it is by far the hardest division in college football. The amount of visits to the National Championship game would not have been as much. During our 90s stretch, we only had to really defeat UF and Miami (both Top 5 programs in that era) since the ACC teams at that point were not even competitive. If we went into the SEC West, we would still have those two hard games plus additional hard in-conference games.

As for today's BCS world, I think it is FSU best interest in opening conversations again with the SEC. They have the money and they are our best fit (if we left).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football